Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 01:01 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,453,012 times

Advertisements

I wanted to check into a motel. Their rate was $75 a night. That would've been fine, but they only take cash, and I only had $55 of it on me. The operator told me I could go to a nearby ATM for more cash. I told him that's pointless. First of all, I don't want to pay fees. Second, if I have to leave the premises, I may as well just find another one since I'll be in my car.

He ended up agreeing to the $55 cash, but stipulated that I needed to check up by 9am, instead of the usual 11am. I'd only be getting 6.5 hours of sleep instead of an extra 1.5 hours, but it would still be sufficient. Even better given the discount.

Is there any particular reason for moving up the checkout time for a discounted rate? More time to check if the room will be in good condition? Seems to be an odd, and random "punitive" measure otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 01:10 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,809,275 times
Probably pocketing the money and wants to get you out before the next shift comes in and housekeeping starts.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:53 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,308,687 times
He is doing you a favor by giving you a discounted rate. Accept the earlier check out. Don't try and negotiate with someone who already did you a favor. You should be grateful they gave you a discount at all.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:04 PM

13,268 posts, read 8,376,190 times
A reputable hotel would retain a credit card to cover incidentals or costly losses. No good comes from a cash only accommodations contract..
I work the hospitality industry and rarely (actually beyond rarely) do we accept cash upfront or allow it to manipulate our set rates. You are doing the Industy no favor by paying cash.
Our policy stands of registering and hours of check in ..check out. 3pm check in...check out by noon. We don't have hourly rates or 'late' check in discounts.
A private owned motel is free to set its own policy...
Our corporate run ones have more at stake to keep it running with safety and a sense of fairness to its patrons.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:30 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,686,167 times
^^^^^^^^What they said

Old 10-22-2018, 02:34 PM

11,142 posts, read 7,891,030 times
I’d have sent you down the street to “Joe’s no tell.... motel”. You could rent by the hour.

Old 10-22-2018, 02:39 PM

16,383 posts, read 12,375,223 times
If he's going to give you a 25%+ discount, he's going to get some benefit out of it. In this case, earlier access for his housekeeping crew.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:57 PM

17,461 posts, read 15,042,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
A reputable hotel would retain a credit card to cover incidentals or costly losses. No good comes from a cash only accommodations contract..
I work the hospitality industry and rarely (actually beyond rarely) do we accept cash upfront or allow it to manipulate our set rates. You are doing the Industy no favor by paying cash.
Our policy stands of registering and hours of check in ..check out. 3pm check in...check out by noon. We don't have hourly rates or 'late' check in discounts.
A private owned motel is free to set its own policy...
Our corporate run ones have more at stake to keep it running with safety and a sense of fairness to its patrons.

Sounds astoundingly sketchy.

Technically, paying in cash does provide a small benefit. About $3 more revenue to the hotel considering CC processing charges.

Doesn't do them any good if you go walking out of the room with 4 pillows.. But, somehow, this sounds like the kind of place you wouldn't want to take the pillows with you.

Old 10-22-2018, 04:51 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,498,380 times
Obviously not a name brand place.

Old 10-22-2018, 05:28 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,453,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Sounds astoundingly sketchy.

Technically, paying in cash does provide a small benefit. About $3 more revenue to the hotel considering CC processing charges.

Doesn't do them any good if you go walking out of the room with 4 pillows.. But, somehow, this sounds like the kind of place you wouldn't want to take the pillows with you.
I've talked with one other motel that only takes cash. They had enough guests call their credit card companies to cancel those legit charges, so they did away with credit card payments as a result of that.

Stealing pillows OTOH.. I'm assuming they haven't had to worry about that. Every one of these places have checked ID/drivers license. Not sure if they tape their check-in desks, but if they do, they could go back and investigate if they really needed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
He is doing you a favor by giving you a discounted rate. Accept the earlier check out. Don't try and negotiate with someone who already did you a favor. You should be grateful they gave you a discount at all.
I didn't try to negotiate with him. HE offered the lower rate first, and I was fine with it. That doesn't change the fact that I'd still like to know about the earlier check out time, hence why I started this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Obviously not a name brand place.
Nope. It's similar to going to a "ma & pa" convenience store with a name like "Brooklyn Quick Store", as opposed to well known chains like 7-11, Wawa, or Speedway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel