Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 07:36 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

When you're on a limited budget, like I am always, what's your choice, spending more money for a comfier hotel, leaving you with less of a budget for restaurants, or spend less for a less comfy hotel, and more money to splurge on more expensive restaurants and/or bars?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 07:54 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
I'm in a hotel room for sleep and for a minimum amount of time. So lower cost room, with more to spend on better foods and activities.

The exception is when in Hawaii or other beach area. On the beach, a oceanfront room with a view and w/balcony. We'll usually spend less on food then.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:12 PM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
When you're on a limited budget, like I am always, what's your choice, spending more money for a comfier hotel, leaving you with less of a budget for restaurants, or spend less for a less comfy hotel, and more money to splurge on more expensive restaurants and/or bars?
I just wrote a post about what I am looking for in a hotel
//www.city-data.com/forum/53499429-post4.html

So in short - while I have few requirements, lavish luxury isn't one.
For me a hotel room has to be quiet, clean and easy to access from the hwy. It would not change if I am on budget or not. I don't spend leisure time there. I don't want to be pampered. I just want to have a good night sleep, and shower in the morning.
However, I wouldn't spend my money in expensive restaurants or bars either. While I love food, I am more appreciative of mom&pop type restaurants that have reputation of cooking great, local food, inexpensive ethnic places, street food etc.
Expensive restaurants not always serve great food. Or often their food isn't really worth the money.
I rather spend my money to visit places and mingle with locals, especially when I am visiting the area for the first time.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:57 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I just wrote a post about what I am looking for in a hotel
//www.city-data.com/forum/53499429-post4.html

So in short - while I have few requirements, lavish luxury isn't one.
For me a hotel room has to be quiet, clean and easy to access from the hwy. It would not change if I am on budget or not. I don't spend leisure time there. I don't want to be pampered. I just want to have a good night sleep, and shower in the morning.
However, I wouldn't spend my money in expensive restaurants or bars either. While I love food, I am more appreciative of mom&pop type restaurants that have reputation of cooking great, local food, inexpensive ethnic places, street food etc.
Expensive restaurants not always serve great food. Or often their food isn't really worth the money.
I rather spend my money to visit places and mingle with locals, especially when I am visiting the area for the first time.
Me too! I'd rather save on a room and on food, and spend money on tours and such. I'm always on a super tight budget.

If I had to spend more to have a quiet room, though, I would. Having a safe and quiet room is really important to me. I don't need luxury, but I need safe and quiet. I don't mind inexpensive food. I can usually find healthy, simple food for pretty cheap. Don't care about fancy restaurants.

Old 10-29-2018, 09:56 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
on a budget?

My low cost lodging (for last 28 yrs) ($ free to $20 / night Worldwide... often comes with food included. Hosts LOVE to cook local specialties, then fix breakfast and pack a lunch for you the next day

Thus I don't have to skimp to travel well and frequently (such as at the moment)

https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Next week we have a GREAT Colorado stay (as often we do)
Last week Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta.
This week.. in our free cabin in Hill Country TX (Rent out the 'farmhouse' and stay in the slave qtrs (a very nice knotty pine cabin).

Nice neighbors, so Get a LOT of free food (Lamb, goat, beef, pork, and garden produce). We bring them Salmon and berries from PNW.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:09 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
I go for the cheapest hotel I can find, and start my search for nearby street-stall food, and supplement it with bread and fruit from the market.

In Armenia, the kitchen staff in my $12 hotel felt sorry for me, and brought me food trays.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:23 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Personally I would rather stay in a nice hotel and just eat at reaosnable priced restaurants or enjoy some street food at a local market.

I like to get a good nights sleep and feel comfortable and warn, as well as feeling secure, so it all depends what you mean by spending less, as there are some really awfful hotels out there, just as there are restaurants. The difference is it's easier to walk out of a poor restaurant than to find decent alternative accomodation.

It also depends where you go, and hotels often offer breakfast which if you are in say London may well be a full english breakfast which will pretty much set you up for most of the day. You can find a reasonable priced breakfast in most countries, whilst most countries have good markets and very good street food, as for restaurants look for reasonable priced restaurants with good reviews on trip advisor and the net.

As for hotels there are cheaper chains than offer some good deals, and you ca usually find good cheaper hotels using trave rating websites. Although there is cheap and there is really cheap and nasty.

Last edited by Brave New World; 10-30-2018 at 05:51 AM..

Old 10-30-2018, 05:22 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
When I travelled on business, the firm's usually booked me into some pretty upmarket hotels, so I know what they offer.

But when we're footing the bill, things are different. We aren't on a very tight budget, but still stay in basic motels like LaQuinta or Red Roof Inn.
That's not just because we will then spend/have more money on food and tours. We have enough money, but see no reason to pay a lot of money on a room where we sleep, shower and watch TV. It's all about location for us.

Applies to cruise ship cabins, too. Inside cabin unless a better, more exp cabin comes with 'Free' perks that ultimately SAVE us money. Moving up to an ocean view cabin may cost more, but if it includes the all inclusive alcohol package, we're financially ahead.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:38 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
Where I sleep is important. I've started using Airbnb for longer stays and I've been happy with that option- I love being able to get up and fix my own breakfast and feel like I'm part of a neighborhood. For shorter stays I typically go for the major chains.

Food isn't a big deal to me- it's more like fuel to keep going. I tracked expenses by category on my last trip- 7 days in Scotland, 2 in Paris- and my total spending on food was under $250. I picked up a lot of ready-made food from grocery stores and chains such as Pret-a-Manger. I spent more on 3 bottles of whisky to bring home than I did on food!

Old 10-30-2018, 07:00 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Food and wine over hotel for me. Or maybe even wine and food over hotel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel