Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Old Faithful/Yellowstone. Definitely HO-HUM!

Hundreds of people sitting and standing around it waiting for 45 minutes to an hour, baking in the sun to see 1-2 minutes of a geyser that I thought would be MUCH more spectacular. Very disappointed and a very long, slow, bumper to bumper ride through the park to get there.
I think Old Faithful is one of the least interesting parts of Yellowstone. The other geothermal springs and features have a lot more to offer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2018, 03:58 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
I went to Hollywood once, thinking it was this beautiful place.

It was a run-down place with seedy people.
I always warn visitors of that. Lately, though, the boulevard has gone from slightly seedy and run-down to just boring - Starbucks and chain stores. Bleagh. I never make that more than a half-hour stop.

Old 11-08-2018, 05:40 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I have friends who actually go just to peruse the tacky tourist shops. They have no interest in Graceland itself, they have challenges to see who can find the most bizarre tacky Elvis souvenir. And they've come back with some pretty amazing "treasures" LOL
This reminds me of years ago, when a very straight-laced neighbor in her 40’s had a “velvet Elvis” painting over her mantle! LOL

Old 11-08-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I always warn visitors of that. Lately, though, the boulevard has gone from slightly seedy and run-down to just boring - Starbucks and chain stores. Bleagh. I never make that more than a half-hour stop.
Even the Champs Elysees in Paris, which used to have beautiful designer boutiques, now has lots of chain stores. I think there was even a McDonalds along there last year.

Old 11-08-2018, 07:17 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
Even the Champs Elysees in Paris, which used to have beautiful designer boutiques, now has lots of chain stores. I think there was even a McDonalds along there last year.
I have peed in that McDonalds. Given the scarcity of public restrooms in many parts of Paris, we figured that a one euro Coca Cola Light drink was a small price to pay in exchange for toilet access for two.

Old 11-08-2018, 08:04 PM

506 posts, read 509,719 times
This thread reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZKuKxXCjg

Old 11-08-2018, 08:40 PM

860 posts, read 2,204,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I don’t think we get to see that. Maybe that’s why it’s underwhelmed.
The Long Walk.

Then you missed the best vantage point of Windsor Castle. What a shame.

I loved my visit. Awesome seeing the Queen's Guard marching about and the amazing garden inside. All in all a major highlight of my last trip to Europe.

Old 11-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnKrause1 View Post
Niagara Falls. Something to see for 6 minutes on the way to see something else. Definitely not a destination.
If you go to the Canadian side, you can go to the Skylon Tower restaurant nearby that has a balcony all the way around where you can view the falls. Also, a little town not too far away is the small town of Niagara-on-the-Lake, which is lovely, with lots of trees and charming old houses turned into shops, restaurants, etc. Wonderful to walk around there and go back in time.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:20 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,122,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
This thread reminds me of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diZKuKxXCjg
And this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DewEKz9TzmM

Old 11-09-2018, 02:33 PM

1,327 posts, read 2,604,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staywarm2 View Post
The Champs Elysees has never really been an avenue with designer boutiques.
Chain stores are not new there. It's been decades that there are fast food restaurants on the Champs Elysées.
What is really changing is the decreases of the numbers of entertainment places like cinemas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel