Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 AM

2,020 posts, read 1,123,947 times

Advertisements

Stonehenge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 08:55 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Disneyworld
Las Vegas
Stonehenge
Aruba

Once was enough for all and underwhelmed by all

Old 11-02-2018, 09:01 AM

554 posts, read 1,067,421 times
Petrified forest

Old 11-02-2018, 09:35 AM

11,055 posts, read 6,643,077 times
The Vatican.

Hated it! Bought "skip the line" tickets and still had to stand in a line for hours. Packed like sardines once inside, had to shuffle, shoulder-to-shoulder, unable to see anything. Sistine Chapel was totally underwhelming, and packed tightly. We were in the off-season too.

The other museums were terrific as they limit visitors. What is wrong with those Vatican folks?

Other than that, we loved Rome.

I love Las Vegas and the shows but it's too crowded anymore. Been there, done that. Grew up near Disneyland so think I'll skip Disneyworld.

I'm glad no one mentioned the Galapagos as we're going in 2 weeks.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:03 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
I think the city agreed with you. They just completed a $380 million renovation of the Arch and grounds summer 2018.

Another giant let down for me in St Louis in 17 was UNION STATION, I was like why would anyone recommend this place, it was deserted and the fire works show was all of a few minutes to some music, but atleast and Aquarium is there now.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:19 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Punta Cana was a let down to me as well, as the drive to the resort had none of the beautiful Caribbean scenery you are used to seeing and then directly outside the resorts are seedy areas, weak liquor at the resorts along with all the sea weed all over the beaches. Then English comprehension is very poor by most and 1 sip of the water will EFF your stomach up for atleast 24 hours.

For NYC, waiting 45 minutes + just to pay to ride an elevator to top of Empire state building isnt worth it, I could say the same for Sear tower in Chicago as well.

It wasnt until I did an excursion that took a 2 hr bus ride and then the beaches on the Caribbean side were very nice and took a boat ride one day and Helicopter ride the next, in which the trip got fun, but the buffets on the resorts are too hit or miss in if you will get sick or not.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:29 AM

75 posts, read 62,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
We went to Gilley's in Fort Worth after Urban Cowboy came out. Yawn.

The Alamo! The first time I saw it, when I moved to San Antonio in the early 80s, I was like "No, this can't be it. Where's the real one?" It was very dinky compared to what I'd envisioned. But I love the city and the culture and learned to have some respect and affection for the Alamo after living there for a while.

The Mona Lisa--also underwhelming. We were lucky to see it without a wait, but we went near closing time during the week. It's small, under glass, and behind a rope. I don't remember armed guards, but it was a while ago.

I loved Musee D'Orsay, but it's been more than ten years since we went, so perhaps it's changed a lot since then. But then again, I've loved Paris and all things French since childhood (my school taught French starting in the third grade), so I relished every moment of being there.

I'm disappointed to hear Mount Rushmore was a letdown. I've wanted to go ever since I watched North by Northwest when I was a kid. We'll still go, but I guess I should have lower expectations.

The St. Louis arch was a "meh" for me too, but I didn't expect that much to begin with.

Has anyone seen the world's largest ball of twine? I'll bet that's riveting.

https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I once tried to find the largest hairball in Garden City, KS, but could not.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:31 AM

75 posts, read 62,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaGWS View Post
Stonehenge

Stonehenge Memorial & Klickitat County Veterans’ Memorials | Maryhill Museum of Art

Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,758,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
For me it would be Rockefeller Center. They look like they are having a blast on TV and when my friend actually talked me into going by there, pretty much just a empty sidewalk on a NYC street.

What other tourist sites have you seen to and were like BLAH, when you got there.
Really?

Well, during the leadup to Christmas 5th Ave will be absolutely loaded with people.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:42 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,889,316 times
Disneyland in Anaheim. 120.00 bucks to be slowly tortured by massive shoulder to shoulder crowds. We stayed late to watch the fireworks show. They herd you into designated cordoned off spectator areas. You can literally feel the breath of people behind you on your neck. You cannot move sideways or backwards because people are inches away from you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel