Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 AM

317 posts, read 373,825 times

Advertisements

Having been to over 50 countries, I would say that South Africa was one of my favorites - tons of different landscapes from savannah, to cliffs overlooking the ocean, to canyons, to forests. Kruger National Park is amazing. Capetown was one of the prettiest cities I have seen. And great travel value with a steak dinner and wine often costing less than $10. I know there are security issues but it certainly is a pretty place.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:08 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I’ve spent most of the last decade telecommuting from two vacation homes. Skiing in the winter. Sailing, beach, and bicycling in the summer. I pick that but without the nuisance of having to work.

Old 12-09-2018, 07:21 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I can't really say I have a favorite place in the world to visit, but when thinking about Rome I am pretty uncritical, even though I've only been there twice. I would go back anytime - except midsummer - in a heartbeat.
If you like Rome, then what about London and Paris?

Old 12-09-2018, 10:33 AM

21 posts, read 20,413 times
I enjoyed Spain, particularly the small coastal town of San Sebastian, just south of France. However, one of the top places on my bucket list is Santorini.

Old 12-09-2018, 10:44 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
It's simply a tie for me, and I have no reason to pick between the two. Therefore, here is my combined favorite (to date):

St Maarten - Dutch side. I haven't been there since the devastation from the hurricane. My FIL and SIL just came back and said they're recovering slowly with many places still shut down and/or renovation work not even started yet. My comments are based on my experience.

I love walking through Philipsburg. Pop into a bar here, a little gambling there, hop to the beach and maybe see a cruise ship docked. All three times I've been, stayed in Simpson Bay. No a big fan of the French side. Except for Orient Beach, my favorite beach.

Hawaii - Oahu.

My daughter was stationed there for 3 years as an Army nurse. She worked at Trippler. We visited her twice in those 3 years. Free place to stay, free car. Saved a LOT of money, and each time we stayed for 3 weeks. The first time she lived right near Waikiki Beach (my 2nd favorite beach). I took dog walking duties every day. We drove to North Shore. We hiked up both Diamond Head and Koko Crater (awesome hike and view). Loved the nightlife and overall feel in Honolulu at night. Second time we visited she had nice apt in Chinatown section (high rise).

Old 12-10-2018, 01:09 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you like Rome, then what about London and Paris?
I'm actually embarrassed how little time I've spent in London, 2 maybe 3 weekends at most & those more than 30+ years ago. A real gap. It's one of those places that I think I would really love but the costs put me off (same excuse I use for Tokyo).

I have never spent any time anywhere outside of London either & I do need to see the English countryside at some point: the Lake District, Downton Abbey, Cornwall, Liverpool too. I really have no good excuse other than I've been to neighboring Ireland countless times & perhaps feel that a real trip should be to somewhere where there isn't an Anglo culture.

The first 2 times I was in Paris I was with women I was in love with (separately!). The third time I went I was solo & being alone in the City of Lights was surprisingly sad for me, I felt something missing because of memories. I left early & haven't returned yet.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:48 AM

12 posts, read 9,306 times
I think it's Norway, Iceland and NZ

Old 12-10-2018, 08:35 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm actually embarrassed how little time I've spent in London, 2 maybe 3 weekends at most & those more than 30+ years ago. A real gap. It's one of those places that I think I would really love but the costs put me off (same excuse I use for Tokyo).

I have never spent any time anywhere outside of London either & I do need to see the English countryside at some point: the Lake District, Downton Abbey, Cornwall, Liverpool too. I really have no good excuse other than I've been to neighboring Ireland countless times & perhaps feel that a real trip should be to somewhere where there isn't an Anglo culture.

The first 2 times I was in Paris I was with women I was in love with (separately!). The third time I went I was solo & being alone in the City of Lights was surprisingly sad for me, I felt something missing because of memories. I left early & haven't returned yet.
I enjoyed all 3 cities.

But there is a lot more to see and do in London and Paris than there is in Rome.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:51 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlandis View Post
Having been to over 50 countries, I would say that South Africa was one of my favorites - tons of different landscapes from savannah, to cliffs overlooking the ocean, to canyons, to forests. Kruger National Park is amazing. Capetown was one of the prettiest cities I have seen. And great travel value with a steak dinner and wine often costing less than $10. I know there are security issues but it certainly is a pretty place.
I am on the same page with you.

Planning another trip to Cape Town next year.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:09 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
If I had to go back to a place I've already been, I might nominate Ukraine. It's a friendly relaxing place, not exotic to a westerner, and easy to go to without a visa. The only part of it that would be hard work woluld be the language, not much English spoken. Very cheap to travel in comfort, with a reliable infrastructure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel