Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2018, 08:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,790 times

Advertisements

I just lost my wallet and have no drivers license or passport. I am leaving for a cruise in 3 days. DMV in NC is closed Veterans Day. My question is, does NCDMV provide a temporary drivers license with a photo? Carnival Cruise says that's the only way I can board ship? I am definitely getting a passport after this mishap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 11:16 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,204,551 times
File a formal police report, and the police may provide a copy of the report which may be accepted as a temporary substitute. It's worth a try.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:37 PM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Carnival cruise to another country? Can you board without passport?

Domestic Cruises (including Canada) that do not include travel to Cuba
For cruises that begin and/or end in a U.S port, the following WHTI-Compliant Documents are acceptable for cruise travel. These standard forms of documentation will enable the Department of Homeland Security to quickly and reliably identify a traveler. If a picture I.D. is not affixed to the WHTI-compliant document, a picture I.D. is required (a valid, unexpired government-issued photo I.D. for all guests 16 years of age or older). If the cruise includes air travel to or from Canada, a valid, unexpired U.S. passport is required.
https://help.carnival.com/app/answer...c3XzZnJTIxJTIx

Unacceptable Forms of Documentation
Copies of any WHTI-Compliant document
Driver's License as the only proof
A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a photo I.D.) ... etc

Also read this:
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/offices-se...ense-help.aspx
Perhaps there is a way they could help.

And this:
https://www.cheapair.com/blog/ask-ch...-what-do-i-do/
If this could be done for an air travel, it should be possible for a cruise.
Get on the phone and start making calls in the morning. Also get 3 passport pictures just in case.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topi...se-with-photo/

BTW: do you still have any of your expired picture ID documents ( old passport, old DL, or any other expired ID document with picture? ) it might help to verify your identity.
And yes, police report is a must.

Good luck!!

Last edited by elnina; 11-12-2018 at 12:25 AM..

Old 11-12-2018, 04:52 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
NC DMV does provide a temporary paper drivers license, but it’s not acceptable in some situations. For example, TSA doesn’t always accept temporary DLs. I’m not sure about cruise lines. You may want to call and ask.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:29 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Do you have any other photo ID (like a work ID or from some other organization)? Perhaps that together with a temporary paper driver's license might work. But again as already suggested contact the cruise line and ask!

Old 11-16-2018, 03:38 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Carnival seems to be very clear on this.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answer...-u.s.-citizens

A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a photo I.D.)
Voter's Registration Card
Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - may be used for photo identification use only
Baptismal Papers
U.S. Military I.D. and a photo I.D.
A Dependent Military I.D. that is issued to the spouse and children of military personnel is not acceptable
U.S. Military Discharge Papers
No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person
Hospital certificate, hospital-issued birth notice, live record of birth or announcement of birth

Also, expired DL's, while nice are not accepted as valid id, especially with TSA.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:57 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post

https://help.carnival.com/app/answer...-u.s.-citizens

A temporary driver's license (paperwork without a photo I.D.)
Voter's Registration Card
Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card (NEXUS/SENTRI/FAST) - may be used for photo identification use only
Baptismal Papers
U.S. Military I.D. and a photo I.D.
A Dependent Military I.D. that is issued to the spouse and children of military personnel is not acceptable
U.S. Military Discharge Papers
No Record of Birth certificate: a certificate issued by the Department of Health and Vital Statistics showing that they have no records on this person
Hospital certificate, hospital-issued birth notice, live record of birth or announcement of birth

Also, expired DL's, while nice are not accepted as valid id, especially with TSA.

I don't understand why a military ID is not acceptable. It's what I use to fly domestically. It's certainly accepted by TSA.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:52 PM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
You didn't read my post, obviously...

Old 11-17-2018, 07:55 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
I don't understand why a military ID is not acceptable. It's what I use to fly domestically. It's certainly accepted by TSA.

It’s not a TSA thing; it’s an ICE thing since a Carnival cruise leaves US waters, which requires you to clear immigration on the boat’s return to US port.

Old 11-17-2018, 12:06 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Bizzybee View Post
I just lost my wallet and have no drivers license or passport. I am leaving for a cruise in 3 days. DMV in NC is closed Veterans Day. My question is, does NCDMV provide a temporary drivers license with a photo? Carnival Cruise says that's the only way I can board ship? I am definitely getting a passport after this mishap.

He's either on the ship or wasn't allowed on. I'm betting the latter. I'm also betting this first time poster won't be back to tell us what happened, which is a shame. It was an interesting dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel