Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 17,348 times

Advertisements

So my family and I are doing the big move to the northwest in January. Our items are being shipped by truck through a service my husband’s company provided and we plan to take our big truck with our daughter and dogs and hit the road!

At first I was excited for this amazing cross country trip but when I realized it would be in the middle of winter I’ve been having panic attacks. Flying is not an option for us so I’m trying to figure out a safer yet still scenic/entertaining route to take avoiding the states up north that will most likely be slammed with snow and ice.

We are treating this trip/move like a vacation so there is not a strict time limit. We can take up to 10/12 days and plan to sleep/explore cities along the way. We take long road trips often so other than this experience driving West is New we are very use to long travel with our dogs and young daughter.

Any suggestions of routes from NYC to Seattle that may have nicer/safer driving weather? Has anyone had experience doing this long drive?

Would really love some suggestions, tips, help!
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2018, 10:58 AM

1,883 posts, read 2,080,651 times
Is your "big truck" a 4WD pickup? Are you accustomed to driving it in winter conditions?

Ten to twelve days using a route that (mostly) avoids snow and mountains isn't very much for a transcontinental drive in January. Remember too that daylight hours will be very short, so the length of your driving days is going to be curtailed.

The safest way to avoid (most) of the potential snow/ice conditions would be to head as far south as fast as you can, then follow the southern tier across the country to California, then up the coast through Oregon and to Seattle. Here's a map showing the "ideal" route for this - https://goo.gl/maps/9YcWfdZBicN2 . You'll see that Google Maps estimates 70 hours for this trip, but honestly Google tends to be very optimistic in this regard, so probably 80 or 90 is more like it. Those are "wheels turning" hours, not counting fuel, breaks, dog walks, food, etc.

Now a more direct route, e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/f6D1UptS8vk - will take far fewer driving hours, you'll run the risk that weather might slow you down, or even stop you, for a day or more en route, and you'll probably be in winter driving conditions the whole way. Now if you have good winter tires and stick to the interstates during daylight hours, you're probably going to be okay, but the going will be slow. It can be bitterly cold (well below zero F) in places like the Dakotas or eastern Montana at that time of year, along with strong winds and wind chill. It's just a fact of life. There are some mountain passes - the continental divide in Montana, Lookout Pass between Missoula and Idaho, and Snoqualmie Pass east of Seattle, where you might get stopped for a day, or where you'll have to "chain up." No party, but thousands of people do these trips every year and almost nobody gets eaten by wolves, so you'll manage.

However, if it was me in your circumstances I'd look at two options. First, look at shipping your vehicle while you and your family and pooch fly. Transcontinental auto shipping will probably cost around a grand, but it would take the fear factor away. (Not knowing your circumstances, I'd also say you could investigate selling the truck and buying another vehicle on the west coast, but that might be a bit extreme.)

Second, just make more days available, do the southern route, and enjoy yourselves. You could stop, for example, at Joshua Tree National Park in southern California, go to some Oscar candidate movies in Hollywood. Or stop at Hearst Castle and see the elephant seal breeding colony on the beach just up the road from the castle parking area. Visit the Monterey Bay area in California, and see the migrating monarch butterflies (million of them) in the various refuges along the coast. Travel through the redwoods, awesome in the mist at that time of year, and maybe do some storm watching on the spectacular Oregon coast. But you'd need more than 10 or 12 days for that.

Old 11-14-2018, 11:48 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
My suggestion to you is the suggestion I always give when the rash of these threads come out right before winter time: Relax, You aren't crossing the polar ice caps with the Scott Expedition, but on well maintained interstate highways crossed by masses of interstate traffic each and every day of the year. Simply watch the weather forecasts a few days before the drive, paying particular attention to the mountain passes, and deviate your route accordingly. Google maps is your friend here.

Since you plan to make a vacation of it that is something to consider - not because of inclement weather but just because in winter lots of tourist sights are closed or on limited schedules, days are short, and it's damn cold. Maybe take advantage of winter and design a vacation out of winter recreation - cross country skiing, tubing or skiing in the Cascades, ice skating, ice fishing...snowmobiling into Yellowstone is something I always wanted to do.

Old 11-14-2018, 12:18 PM

656 posts, read 813,621 times
I would do the southern route that Gardyloo suggested. Even if you had a huge 4x4, do you want to be driving in snow in the dark? Avoid the Rockies, enjoy the Southern US (have some carne adovada in Las Cruces, NM!)

Old 11-14-2018, 03:33 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,059,576 times
The best thing is to pay attention to the weather conditions, be flexible and have really good tires.

I have driven Portland to Rhode Island in February with a storm in front of me and a storm behind me. If the weather looks ok I would take 80 all the way across to 84 in Utah and head up from there. 80 doesn't have any high mountain passes like 70 does through Colorado and is the main truck route, if it's windy and snowy 80 through Wyoming is a beast and will shut down until the storm passes. You could also take 70 to Indianapolis and then drop down to Oklahoma take 40 to Vegas and then decide if you want to head north through Utah or California.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 PM

Gardyloo

Thank you for that detailed reply!! I forwarded all this information to my husband and we will start figuring our route. So what I’d like to think is our “big truck” (at least for New Yorkers lol) is our 4WD Sierra Denali GMC 6.2 lifted on 35’s. We have Nitto Ridge Grappler tires. The truck is my husband’s baby so I doubt I’d ever be able to convince him to sell it. We actually have another car that is being shipped over. The main reason we are not flying is because of a medical condition. We would just really prefer to drive.

I love your suggestion of the southern route and really enjoying our “vacation”/move across the country.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:54 PM

Dd714

Good point! Thank you. Google maps is a life saver. Now my only other worry would be signal. And I never ever thought about possibly making it a “winter vacation” I guess there are lots of possibilities if we do decide to drive the northern route.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:56 PM

More Rock

I’m definitely leaning towards a southern route. I agree!

Old 11-14-2018, 08:58 PM

Dogmama50

Thank you! I love your suggestions! Going to research those routes as well.

Old 11-14-2018, 10:33 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,458,081 times
I would expect that I-90 is generally plowed quite well throughout its entire course; the only thing is to avoid snowstorms and sleet.

I doubt that taking a more southerly route will be better, because the US gets regular hard freezes and snow/sleet storms all the way down to Alabama and Georgia. It's even happening right now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel