Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 05:21 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,285,179 times

Advertisements

Thanks for sharing that! I have never heard of him. Very, very good. I'm going to start watching him.

One of my sister's in law is from the Philippines and it's been fascinating learning about her culture. It has taught me to appreciate different cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 09:13 PM

1,492 posts, read 1,616,936 times
Here is an update on some of the "Traveling Couples" mentioned in this thread (plus a few that were not).

The Covid virus has wrecked a lot of travel plans.

Kara and Nate are now doing the van life thing in the US, after the virus wrecked their travel plans.

Wolters world has put out some great videos on the status of travel while the virus rages on.

Kombi Life was in Morocco when the virus shut down travel. The ended up staying in Morocco until then could finally get a ferry back to the EU. Now they are struggling to get back to Great Britain.

Rolling Vistas (one of my past favorites) were traveling in a converted bus, but decided to downsize, sell the bus and try Van Life. Their video output has really dwindled.

Max and Lee (another couple traveling in a van) have split up. Max has posted some videos about his latest van build.

Eamon and Bec have a new Van and should be travelling soon.

Lastly, as the start of their video's will tell you, Elana and Riley of La Vagabonde have picked up a "stowaway".

Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Mark Weins does a nice job, I used to follow him a bit. "Cuisine Tourism " has definitely become a growth genre in recent decades, I think the US Travel Channel is mostly food shows now, at least it was when I stopped watching it several years ago.

I think the first I remember of this was "Floyd On ...." in the late 80's which in various seasons focused on different regions' cuisines but was very personality (& alcohol) driven & somewhat non mainstream before Bourdain, episodes are still found on youtube. I recently ran across a old brief French series "cohosted" by Gerard Depardieu who is quite a sight sticking his hands right into dishes & stuffing his face, it would almost turn one off eating at all.

Now that covid is lessening in Europe my current favorite Youtube couple have gotten back on the road primarily a Portugal vlog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOLEYhj4rw&t=198s

Old 07-22-2020, 10:21 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,918 times
For English speakers:

- I watch Mark Weins on and off. I like his personality and his focus on food, but i can't watch too much of his expression when he eats (closes eyes while head slowly lowers with a silly smile) - it gets old after watching it repeatedly a couple of times.

- I like Tangerine Travel, a young couple from Phoenix - AZ who moved to Mexico with their Tangerine colored car and their dog. Their focus is mostly Mexico, a country I'd like to explore extensively in a couple of years.

- Food Ranger (mostly solo), a Canadian young guy who mostly features Asia.

- Another one is Chopstick Travel, a young Canadian couple who also mostly features Asia.

All of the above have strong focus on food, with maybe some panoramic views thrown in here and there, which is my jam.

Lately, I've been focusing on you tube travel shows hosted by local people, some with local language with subtitles (some don't, but I watch them anyway if it's interesting). One that comes to mind is visa2explore, focusing on his native country of India.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:27 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
On a related note, Netflix just release "Street Food - Latin America" series, a followup to their "Street Food - Asia" from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErl4he7eMw

Nice.

Old 07-22-2020, 10:31 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,731,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
On a related note, Netflix just release "Street Food - Latin America" series, a followup to their "Street Food - Asia" from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qErl4he7eMw

Nice.
Thanks for the heads-up, I will definitely watch this. I loved the Asian street food series.

Old 07-22-2020, 12:24 PM

5,249 posts, read 3,603,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post

Nice.
And on another related note is the excellent NF short series "Taco Chronicles". I didn't think I'd like it much due to the narrow focus but each episode adds a bit of culture & has me drooling by the end to make a taco run.

Unlike the trailer, the series has subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2qist_IxZI

Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,125,460 times
My spouse watches Sean & Kristy. I’ve seen a few of their shows, they are good if you like RV’s.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nXBSK8u5OUA

Old 07-23-2020, 06:20 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,603,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Kara & Nate irritate me. They aren't very humble. They are always bragging about the nice hotels they stay in, the airport lounges, the free stuff they get … humility goes a long way. Not a fan.
That's how I feel about them too. Not only that, but they always convey a sense of being put-upon; of being haughty First Worlders who are always annoyed when things in their Third World destinations don't go exactly according to plan. I don't regularly watch them or anyone else, but my son likes them, so occasionally I watch one of their videos with him.

Old 07-23-2020, 09:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Two Wondering Soles are cool, love them!

Also speaking of netflix series, “Somebody Feed Phil” is awesome too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel