Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 03:59 PM

5,124 posts, read 6,119,001 times

Advertisements

We did the Disney Florida residents season passes right before the rebound from the housing bust when the economy was just starting to warm back up.

Rooms were easily found in the $85 range and then soon after towards our passes expiring we were noticing that $120 was beginning to be the norm. With that we were also beginning to see more and more property's adding $10 and $15 dollar resort fees.

Orlando is jumping now and I really don't think there are any slow times anymore no matter when you go, summer or winter. We are seeing so many visitors from Brazil and Europe and Orlando continues to grow as far as a destination for international tourists.

The best thing to do is shop around. We usually try to book deals directly with the hotels as we don't want to be surprised with added fees when we get there.

I really don't see how family's can afford a week in Disney anymore......coupled with 60 minute waits for rides during typically slow times is becoming the norm. I cringe at ever going back anytime soon.

Good luck to the OP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 04:41 PM

3,262 posts, read 4,996,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
My current plan is to stay in Orlando for just one night after arriving MCO at 11 pm. I'll ride an uber/lyft from the airport to the hotel. The cost is comparable to the parking charge($25).

I'll check out the second day and rent a car. Renting a car from a non-airport location is much cheaper.

After that, well, I haven't fully decided. Originally I wanted to go to Universal but now I am no longer interested. I can't endure any roller coaster. Actually, the flight to Florida is already a huge thrill ride for me.

I'll probably do a lot of outdoors, like kayaking and swimming with manatees. Maybe I'll just leave Orlando and head west.
Or you could stay at one of the hotels near the airport, on Semoran Drive, that has a free shuttle. No need for Uber/Lyft.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:10 PM

1,051 posts, read 795,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Just because the fees are nothing new doesn't mean travelers should have to accept them. And, it's not just "nice" places, at least not in Orlando like the OP is discussing. There are 2 and 3-star dumps in the Orlando area that charge resort fees just because they seemingly can.

The beef, though, is that, unlike parking fees or checked-bag fees on airline, nobody is able to opt out of resort fees. As such, it's really just a part of the nightly room rate. These properties are simply pulling $25-50 off the room rate so they look better in travel searches. It's really just deceptive pricing and should be called out as such.
The resort fees for "certain amenities" even if you don't use them, has nothing to do with the amenities but is part of a phenomenon called upcharging. Whereby you negotiate one price but are in fact charged a higher price when you actually use the service. Similar examples are mandatory tipping or automatic gratuities on cruises. Personally, I consider them dishonest and will not use services that practice upcharging. Though there are certain situations where you don't have a choice.

Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,959,833 times
resort fees are the same as cable-TV sports surcharges.
we cut the cord and we do not book 'resort fee' locations.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:31 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,410 times
Quote:
Just because the fees are nothing new doesn't mean travelers should have to accept them. And, it's not just "nice" places, at least not in Orlando like the OP is discussing. There are 2 and 3-star dumps in the Orlando area that charge resort fees just because they seemingly can.

The beef, though, is that, unlike parking fees or checked-bag fees on airline, nobody is able to opt out of resort fees. As such, it's really just a part of the nightly room rate. These properties are simply pulling $25-50 off the room rate so they look better in travel searches. It's really just deceptive pricing and should be called out as such.

of course you can opt out. don't stay there.
Yes it does mean you have to accept them. lol, they have got some thing you want, so you either pay or you don't play.

I don't think it's deceptive at all because a simple phone call or cursory search will get the information you want.

Sorry I don't get this entitlement that someone has to sell you something at a price you find acceptable.

darn near every resort in Vegas has resort fees, lol Heck Disneyworld the supposedly happiest place on the planet is now charging parking fees and I'm sure resort fees are right around hte corner.

Orlando is a popular vacation destination especially in the winter, any place or thing that is premium will charge premium.

Hamilton on Broadway is still 500 bucks a ticket. they get away with it because they are selling out.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:32 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Or you could stay at one of the hotels near the airport, on Semoran Drive, that has a free shuttle. No need for Uber/Lyft.
I will arrive MCO at 10:30 pm, very naturally, I wanted to stay in an airport hotel for one night and take the shuttle back to the airport to take the rental car.

I guess I'm not the only one. Airport hotels near MCO are actually much more expensive than similar hotels on International Drive.

Anyway, after doing research for weeks, I think I have figured out the best strategy to fit my needs.

I'll probably write a trip report after Xmas, lol.

Old 12-14-2018, 09:42 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We did the Disney Florida residents season passes right before the rebound from the housing bust when the economy was just starting to warm back up.

Rooms were easily found in the $85 range and then soon after towards our passes expiring we were noticing that $120 was beginning to be the norm. With that we were also beginning to see more and more property's adding $10 and $15 dollar resort fees.

Orlando is jumping now and I really don't think there are any slow times anymore no matter when you go, summer or winter. We are seeing so many visitors from Brazil and Europe and Orlando continues to grow as far as a destination for international tourists.

The best thing to do is shop around. We usually try to book deals directly with the hotels as we don't want to be surprised with added fees when we get there.

I really don't see how family's can afford a week in Disney anymore......coupled with 60 minute waits for rides during typically slow times is becoming the norm. I cringe at ever going back anytime soon.

Good luck to the OP
I visited Orlando in 2008, hotels were cheap back then but Disney wasn't.

Now, it's becoming far less affordable.

My timeframe is okay, pre-Christmas. The prices will go crazy after Christmas.

For instance, a 3-star resort I'm considering in Sanibel Island is less than 200(fee taxes included) in mid-Dec.
But it will soon climb into 300 - 400+ range after Christmas. I have to admit I didn't know much about Florida tourism. There's basically no hidden gem. Destinations other than Miami and Orlando are also very popular. Marcon Island, Naples, even Crystal River and Ceder Key have plenty of tourists.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:56 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,114,434 times
Quote:

Get over it. That's why there's no income tax in Florida. You pay, residents love it.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:38 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Get over it. That's why there's no income tax in Florida. You pay, residents love it.
Exactamundo. Tourists pay something like 15-20% of all sales taxes in the state.

The cheapest hotel prices in the state are typically the panhandle/Jacksonville in winter (not consistently warm weather up here then) and everywhere in the few weeks in between Thanksgiving and Christmas and then in the spring between the Easter/Spring Break season and when the kids start getting out for summer vacation. Lots of places schedule special events for that May lull in order to even out tourism numbers and hotel occupancy rates.

Old 12-15-2018, 04:44 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Except, I am a Florida resident. Thanks for playing.

(And your argument deals with taxes, not resort fees, which is what we are talking about). Again, thanks for playing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel