Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 01:06 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,558,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
You're right, I don't have to stay there, and I usually don't. However, OP said he has trouble finding comfortable beds except at certain chains, so he doesn't exactly get that luxury.

As for not being deceptive because you can figure things out with a "simple phone call"--who makes phone calls anymore? Everything can be done online. As to a "cursory search"--again, no. That cursory search pulls up a rate of $149 a night. Only by doing an "in-depth search" does one realize that rate is actually $174 a night since there is a $25 per night resort fee, which can't be opted out of.

It's not an "entitlement that someone has to sell you something at a price you find acceptable." I don't care what a hotel charges as long as they can charge it and still make a profit. I'll make my decision based on that price and whether it's what I want to pay. If not, I move on to the next place.

The problem, though, is that resort fees are deceptive, and it has very little to do with the actual "amenities" they're offering. They're leaving in the neighborhood of 10-20% off the room rate just so they look more competitive on search engines like Expedia, Travelocity, Kayak, Hotels.com, etc. If they want to do it to catch those who either don't care about the fees or don't know to look for them, more power to them if it works. For me, though, I do feel it adds unnecessary time to travel planning, which is annoying, because I refuse to stay at such places.

I always find it odd there are always so many willing to defend awful practices just because they've become commonplace.
Because IMO is not an "awful" practice. I really don't see it as "in depth" search. I go to Vegas all the time which is the land of resort fees and I've never had any issue finding out what the resort fees are.

When you buy a car the advertised price NEVER includes dealer prep, transportation or any of the other millions of fees they add. the buyer has to find that information.
If you go to the theater the price for the tickets never includes the handling fees until the end. I always laugh at that charge because what exactly are they handling with print at home tickets and tickets on your smart phone.

again how is it deceptive?? travel sites will all give you the final price before you give them a cc #. so basically you are calling it deceptive because it takes 30 secs longer and that's annoying.

so basically you don't want to make a phone call (and yes I do make phone calls it's often way more efficient that on line searches) and you don't want to find the information out online and somehow you saying you don't have an entitlement issue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2018, 01:14 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Because IMO is not an "awful" practice. I really don't see it as "in depth" search. I go to Vegas all the time which is the land of resort fees and I've never had any issue finding out what the resort fees are.

When you buy a car the advertised price NEVER includes dealer prep, transportation or any of the other millions of fees they add. the buyer has to find that information.
If you go to the theater the price for the tickets never includes the handling fees until the end. I always laugh at that charge because what exactly are they handling with print at home tickets and tickets on your smart phone.

again how is it deceptive?? travel sites will all give you the final price before you give them a cc #. so basically you are calling it deceptive because it takes 30 secs longer and that's annoying.

so basically you don't want to make a phone call (and yes I do make phone calls it's often way more efficient that on line searches) and you don't want to find the information out online and somehow you saying you don't have an entitlement issue??
Buying a car is a major purchase and it almost always involves negotiation.

Shopping for hotels shouldn't be that laborious. You thought you found a great price, and you have to click several times, load pages and finally see the real price. Fair transparency is a reasonable demand. It has nothing to do with entitlement.

Old 12-16-2018, 01:17 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,137,507 times
Quote:

Again, call making excuses for bad practices whatever you want. But, I guess you're right, it is somewhat entitled. I mean it's 2018. I can do pretty much anything I want/need online with ease and efficiency. If there are businesses who don't understand that, they don't get my money.

Again, it's deceptive because when you search for their price it lists say $149 in big red or orange numbers. But, again, in fine print, you'll see that the nightly rate is actually $174 because they charge a resort fee. And the only reason they do that is so that when doing an online search the supposed-$149 Hilton with a resort fee "looks" the same price as the $149 Hampton without one.

You posting all the other instances where it also happens doesn't convince me because I hate those occurrences too.

Old 12-16-2018, 02:30 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,722,107 times
Quote:

The client is entitled to have their needs met in the way they want them met. If a particular hotel isn't meeting those needs, the hotel is not entitled to have that traveler as a client. I don't really care one way or another about resort fees; I know they exist and I choose to stay at a hotel based on the final price, including the resort fees. But there's no entitlement issue when it comes to wanting to stay at hotels that either don't have resort fees or that post those fees prominently. A customer can always choose to spend his or her money elsewhere; that doesn't make them "entitled" in a bad way. There are some things that people are legitimately entitled to, and the right to choose where they spend their cash is one of them.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:00 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Shopping for hotels shouldn't be that laborious. You thought you found a great price, and you have to click several times, load pages and finally see the real price. Fair transparency is a reasonable demand. It has nothing to do with entitlement.
Sounds like a problem with the site you use, and not with the hotels. I've never had those kinds of issues when booking hotel rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel