Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 11:12 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times

Advertisements

Life is busy and almost everyone is on their toes.

Every year my wife and kids ask me as to what do I want for my b/day gift?

And I am already sick of getting perfumes, and clothing and shoes and whatnot.

So I thought of another idea.

I said OK, book me a couple of nights in a good hotel not too far from our home - and I will just go there, cut myself off from electronic gadgets (except for emergency cell phone use), and sleep and relax to release the work related stress.

First they laughed but eventually granted me my wish.

I checked in at around evening time, the room was nice, clean and immaculate - I laid down for a few minutes and did absolute nothing - took a shower and changed to a relaxed sleeping clothes ---- AND THEN ------- I popped two Tylenol PM pills in my mouth and hit the bed.

Slept for about 13 hours - woke up - and then slept again for another 2 hours. The pills were too strong for me. (should have taken only one).

Got up and jumped into the shower and then laid in the hot tub for another half hour.

And man o man !! Didn't I get my eyes opened up?

I spent rest of the day in hotel balcony, read some book etc as I had decided not to go out.

Second, night I was up for a little late but didn't give insomnia a chance, and popped in another Tylenol PM - and slept for another 8 hours.

Took another hot shower and tub session.

Checked out at 11:00 AM and came home.

This turned out to be a surprisingly good experiment.

I thought this mini vacation was better than a few I took to relax myself by going hundreds of miles away and spending thousands of dollars.

I have decided to try to get at least one of such mini, or call it, micro vacation for relaxing, every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 11:43 PM

16,079 posts, read 10,744,030 times
Sounds nice.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:36 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
Sounds good to me!

Old 12-20-2018, 05:56 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Good for you! The world would probably be a mentally healthier place if more of us would do something like this from time to time. While no one would deny that cell phones and the internet are wonderful, indispensable things to have, they also cause most of us to always be "on" and not really relax like we used to do when our only communication device was a rotary dial wall phone. I'll bet you felt so mentally refreshed and rested after this mini vacay.

Old 12-20-2018, 05:57 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
Obviously you needed this. We all need to recharge the batteries one way or another, so, whatever works!

Old 12-20-2018, 08:39 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
It sounds to me you need drug more than a hotel.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:19 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
It sounds to me you need drug more than a hotel.
lol hahaha
Probably yes.

I never had trouble falling asleep and I never drank any alcoholic products all my life.

I guess my body was not used to talking TWO of those PM pills. I took them to relax the muscles and get an undisturbed sleep after a 60 hours work week.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:45 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
lol hahaha
Probably yes.

I never had trouble falling asleep and I never drank any alcoholic products all my life.

I guess my body was not used to talking TWO of those PM pills. I took them to relax the muscles and get an undisturbed sleep after a 60 hours work week.
I also abstain from alcohol and if I take one normal dose of NyQuil which is either 5 or 10% alcohol, I will sleep 10 hours without waking up. I am very type A and normally never sleep longer than 5 or 6 hours.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:11 PM

223 posts, read 144,512 times
I do the same thing every New Years Eve. I want to end the year and begin the next one by myself. I will give everyone the rest of the year but those days are for Me...

Old 12-20-2018, 04:04 PM

7,777 posts, read 10,160,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
I do the same thing every New Years Eve. I want to end the year and begin the next one by myself. I will give everyone the rest of the year but those days are for Me...
Aww, that's a time when I love being around lots of people. But I guess that's what's cool about this world...we are all different and have so many different preferences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel