Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2018, 12:07 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I think a part of the problem is that some people may expect some "feeling" to rush over them when they see a place. It doesn't work that way. There's no magic.
That reminds me of an article I read about Japanese tourists deeply disappointed in Paris:

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/paris-sy...urists-packing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2018, 12:11 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,598,935 times
I wanted to love Miami and I hated Miami - at the time I was living in St. Petersburg and I couldn't wait to leave Miami and get back to St. Pete. I still want to love Miami, but I wanted relaxation and FL scenery and I had that where I already lived, plus we had equally good Cuban food. I was solo so didn't go to clubs, maybe on a group trip.

I know it's the opposite of the thread, but I was recently in Los Angeles for the first time and I absolutely loved it, which is the exact opposite of how I thought I'd feel. I stayed in Koreatown and took the metro a bit, was not anywhere near the permanent duck lip crowd so just enjoyed the city (except for the traffic). Had such a great time at the Griffith Observatory at night. Would move to LA in a heartbeat if I had the income to live similarly there as I do in NC.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:16 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
The area surrounding the Bay Area in California, totally unimpressed. None of the good parts of the bay area transcend to the area within a half-hour or so, totally devoid of what makes the Bay Area special.

Old 12-24-2018, 12:20 PM

1,517 posts, read 989,843 times
Pike Place Market. It's fun the first couple times but it's so overcrowded with tourists that the novelty wears off fast. Just like Times Square, it's been so hyped up by the media that you MUST go there or you will have missed something vital to Seattle if not the entire Pacific Northwest. Once or twice was enough for me.

Quote:
but didn't love the city - I felt like I was in a giant tourist display except with people on bikes wanting to kill you.

Hmmm. Are you sure you weren't delusional from the pain and really walking through downtown Potland?

Last edited by Ttark; 12-24-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 12-24-2018, 12:34 PM

37,594 posts, read 45,972,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post

Las Vegas
I love going to the desert for its infernal beauty. Then you get to Vegas, and are assaulted from all angles by a tacky sort of anti-elegance which just is not good for the soul. Does anyone really have a good time losing their shirt gambling? I am not into meth, hookers, or glitzy shows either. You can have it.
I don't gamble, ever. I only go to Vegas with my BF, for the car show in the fall. I enjoy the sights and sounds....lots of fun.

Quote:

LOS ANGELES
What the hell exactly is Hollywood, anyway? A sign in the hills, an amusement park tour, and a sidewalk with stars all over it? Other than that, drug addicts, perverts, gang members and other assorted deadbeats give it its character. What a dump.
It was cool to see...once. It was definitely more "down-trodden" than I had expected.

Quote:
TIME'S SQUARE
My wife did not even believe that was all there was to it--some glittzy signs and people running around in costumes.
I love NYC at the holidays, and in the spring. Times Square is part of the fun, but certainly not the end-all-be-all.

I'm not sure I've really had any disappointments in my travels. Guess I have been lucky.

Oh...San Francisco. I thought the people were incredibly rude. Don't care to ever go back there. That would be my one "meh".

Old 12-24-2018, 12:54 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Nogales, Arizona.

We expected to find great deals on Mexican handcrafted items. Instead, all the shops carried cheap Chinese imports. Mexican nationals cross the border to buy this stuff to take home.

Makes me wonder what Mexicans must think of American aesthetics.

Old 12-24-2018, 02:47 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,714,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
Pike Place Market. It's fun the first couple times but it's so overcrowded with tourists that the novelty wears off fast. Just like Times Square, it's been so hyped up by the media that you MUST go there or you will have missed something vital to Seattle if not the entire Pacific Northwest. Once or twice was enough for me.

Hmmm. Are you sure you weren't delusional from the pain and really walking through downtown Potland?
Downtown Seattle isn't that glamorous, but I keep going back to Seattle for summer vacation.

I absolutely love the San Juan Islands and Olympia National Park.

Old 12-24-2018, 03:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,901,622 times
Plymouth Rock. It's just a rock! And yet people come from hundreds of miles.

Old 12-24-2018, 07:25 PM

25 posts, read 24,029 times
Default Globe !

Globe, AZ. Try driving through it. You'll be stalked by cops no matter how well you drive or what you're driving. One passes Globe on Hwy 60 for the Tonto National Forest. I hate that place. It is a grave disappointment. There is literally NOTHING there.

Old 12-25-2018, 06:35 AM

3,259 posts, read 3,768,572 times
I think Hawaii is way overrated. I get it if you aren't near any nice beaches, but I live in Alabama, and am just a few hours by car from some beaches which are every bit as nice (or nicer) than Hawaii's. Hell, I can get to the Leeward and Windward Islands faster than I get to Hawaii.

And I never liked pineapple much either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel