Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 11:04 AM

5,237 posts, read 3,581,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprez33 View Post
.... After three days of eating bamboo everything, when we descended into the local town to catch the train...
I'm guessing you weren't the only thing that descended after 3 days of such a high fiber intake...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2018, 02:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 777,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm guessing you weren't the only thing that descended after 3 days of such a high fiber intake...

Old 01-02-2019, 11:48 AM

552 posts, read 1,055,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There is a Taco Bell in Cancun. Couldn't believe it.. .why would anyone go to fake Mexican food when the real stuff is soooo good.

Again, because it is American, and it is different than what they eat every day.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:28 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,954,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There is a Taco Bell in Cancun. Couldn't believe it.. .why would anyone go to fake Mexican food when the real stuff is soooo good.
Same reason why Americans go to McDonald's when there are much better places to have a burger. It's fast, it's cheap, and often times you don't even have to get out of your car.

Old 01-02-2019, 12:40 PM

8,424 posts, read 6,801,926 times
Burger King, Subway, McDonalds in Singapore. If you don’t eat on site it’s take away not carry out.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:02 PM

830 posts, read 482,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Every time that I travel overseas, I make it a point to try the McDonalds there
Hah! I thought I was the only one who did this.

Usually when I tell other travelers that I try to visit McDonalds each time I'm in another country, they say something like "Why on Earth do you do that? It defeats the whole point of going to another country!"

But I disagree. All McDonalds are not the same, and the ones in other countries often have a different local flavor and you can learn about the local culture a bit by visiting one. There, I said it.

I'd also like to say that I very rarely visit McDonalds in the US.

Here are some of my most interesting experiences visiting McDonalds ion other countries:

* In Mendoza Argentina, the McDonalds had a special sort of "happy meal" that included local fruits and cheeses, and even included a glass of local Malbec wine.

* In Turkey, the McDonalds had a burger, hilariously named "McBeefy Alaturka" that was a lamb burger with yogurt sauce. They also served the local Turkish Drink that is similar to Kefir.

* In Krakow, Poland the local McDonalds was apparently one of the places to see and be seen. They even had a nice lounge area set up that looked nothing like a McDonalds.

* Japanese McDonalds have many specialty items, including the Filet o'Shrimp and the seasonal Tsukimi Burger for moon-viewing season. Their employees are also highly trained, having to learn many McDonalds only linguistic expressions to bring the ultimate in politeness to their customers.

Old 01-03-2019, 01:12 PM

830 posts, read 482,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Pollo Campero!
They do have Pollo Campero in the US. There is one near where I live in SF.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:25 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,520,312 times
I have no idea why noting when of my favorite foreign owned chains is Pollo Campero inspires so many to inform me they have them in the United States.

I've eaten at one in Virginia.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,283,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Once in Queenstown, New Zealand, my client dragged me to a Korean restaurant. While I'll try just about any cuisine with an open mind, I think Korean food is absolutely disgusting. It reminds me of what you'd find in a tackle box.

So after we parted ways, I went to the McDonald's down the street out of sheer desperation. I ordered a Big Mac, took one bite, and felt a decided crunch.

Beets. They put beets in their Big Macs in New Zealand.
As they should do! As they should do here.

We go to Maccas, as we call McDonalds, when driving in the country and needing aircon, a quick snack and clean restrooms. Never eat it at home but it is fairly popular here as it is cheap.

Chains are not as prominent here as it other places. Starbucks have all but failed and are only open in heavily touristed areas. I have to say though that the week between Christmas and New Year sees a lot of small local coffee shops and bakeries close. I counted that eight of my usual coffee shops are closed until next Monday. I ended up at a Gloria Jeans and left most of what they call coffee.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:54 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,655,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
When overseas, this would be the last thing I would do.

There are a few reasons why we go to US fast food joints in other countries. Taking India as an example

1. There is only so much local food that you can take before it becomes boring and too much.

2. The McDonald's of India are nothing like ones here and the veggie options are delicious.

3. They are clean and hygienic and you don't have to worry as much about the hygiene of the cooks and other food handlers ( relative to local owned joints). They also have AC and Wi-Fi.

4. It is intermediate in price between the cheap hole in wall joints and the expensive five star hotel meals which are too rich and creamy.

6. Even though McDonald's and Pizza Hut might be expensive in Indian currency they are about the same in US$ and hence it does not bother me that I spend so much at a meal as long as I think in USA and not rupees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel