Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 04:58 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! My wife and I are trying to decide where to spend our next vacation? We want to visit places we have never been. The three choices are:
1. Seattle
2. Portland
3. Vancouver, Canada

A little about us; we are pretty active and love both urban activities and being in nature. We love having access to the coast and mountains, museums, parks, zoos, aquariums, unique eateries (local hometown places), the arts, etc.

Currently, we are leaning towards Seattle, but Vancouver is a close second. Would love to hear personal experiences from anyone who has visited one or all of these cities. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM

149 posts, read 104,163 times
I have been to all three (and lived in Portland and Seattle). I vote Vancouver. Stanley Park. Coastline with drives and hikes. University of British Columbia campus with museums. Capilano Suspension Bridge and Park. Good seafood. Friendly folks. Seattle would be my second choice.

Old 12-26-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
I have been to all three (and lived in Portland and Seattle). I vote Vancouver. Stanley Park. Coastline with drives and hikes. University of British Columbia campus with museums. Capilano Suspension Bridge and Park. Good seafood. Friendly folks. Seattle would be my second choice.
Thanks for your feedback! Vancouver is awfully impressive and may eventually win out! Can you tell me a bit about the coastline drives?

Old 12-26-2018, 11:25 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,379 times
Visited all three multiple times, though Portland was 20 years ago. I don't think you can go wrong with either Seattle or Vancouver. Both have plentiful outdoor and urban activities. A lot of it is personal preference. Tripadvisor is a good place to look for activities. My personal choice would be Vancouver. Vancouver seems like the most naturally beautiful of the cities and it's also the most Asian, if that makes any difference to you.

Old 12-27-2018, 12:23 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,082,979 times
From the feedback I have read on the forums, I will very easily skip Portland.

Old 12-27-2018, 02:16 AM

3,203 posts, read 2,481,242 times
Vancouver, BC has a very diverse array of genuine ethnic restaurants. Also, even though Canadian prices are higher than many US cities, your dollar goes further because of the exchange rate. Take a ferry ride and drive be up Indian Arm. If you mountain bike, Squamish, North Van or Whistler are tops.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:16 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,341,041 times
I have only been to Portland and it is definitely a nice city with driving access to many beautiful waterfalls along the Columbia River.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:20 AM

Thanks for the comments everyone! So far it seems like Vancouver is the favorite?!

Old 12-27-2018, 08:29 AM

986 posts, read 1,016,081 times
Another vote for Vancouver here. It's in my view the most beautiful of the three cities, with Portland coming in dead last on that front. However, as with all three cities Portland has very easy access to some great natural beauty in the Columbia River Gorge and Mount Hood/Hood River area. You can't go wrong with any of the three, but my vote would be for Vancouver.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:06 AM

1,801 posts, read 1,948,264 times
I visited both Seattle and Portland with my family last fall as part of a eight-day trip that included three nights in Seattle, two in Portland, one along the Oregon coast at Cannon Beach, another night in Hood River along the Columbia River Gorge, and another near Sea-Tac just before heading back home. We decided to skip Vancouver since my family doesn't have any passports and found that Seattle provides nearly the same big city attraction that Vancouver has, and Portland has its unique places that neither have, like Washington Park and the Rose Garden along with perhaps the best Chinese food I've ever had. Of course a big question is if you're willing to rent a car, which was very useful for our journey, even though if you're fine with just the cities, rail could be a good option as well.

Seattle is a cool city as well, and if you've never experienced Seattle Center (site of the 1962 World's Fair), Pike's Place Market, or a Mariners Game, you won't be disappointed. It's so much more than Starbucks as there's lots of great performing arts, shopping, hidden parks, dining, and festivals all around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel