Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 PM

7,986 posts, read 5,359,338 times

Advertisements

Oh yes. Keep it with me at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 02:14 PM

1,584 posts, read 975,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I carry it ONLY when there isn't an inroom safe. I'm not living it in a hotel room or Airbnb without locking it up.
I actually don’t trust in-room safes, as they reportedly can be broken into by hotel staff in some cases. The only time I don’t keep valuables on me is if there’s an individual safe deposit box behind the desk with two keys, one of which I take with me.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:20 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,752,083 times
usually no, unless either a) I need it for something I am doing for the day which requires showing my passport or b) my hotel does not have a safe or I think for some reason it is insecure. I've never had an issue with a safe in a hotel so far and i've done a TON of traveling in the last 2 decades.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:35 PM

75 posts, read 62,228 times
I lived overseas for several years working for the Department of Defense. I always had my "government" passport with me because I was there under their Status of Forces Agreement. My "tourist" passport I left at my residence.

But now when I travel overseas on personal travel, I always have my tourist passport on me.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:37 PM

50,178 posts, read 63,623,198 times
I keep it with me.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:55 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brave new world View Post
countries which specify that travellers should carry their passports at all time , include russia, china, north korea, japan, most of the middle east ae well as third world countries or countries that are at war or not democracies, they may demand documentation..
lol

Old 12-29-2018, 05:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,533,782 times
I guess one has to weigh the risks in countries where it is required to have at all times, they come from two opposing sides:

1. Risk that an official will want to see it, will actually care that you only have a copy, and there is some sort of penalty or inconvenience (taken to station to sort things out)

2. Risk that it gets pickpocketed, lost, stolen in an assault, damaged etc. from being on your person 24/7

For me I usually decide to take risk option #1, although it is much for avoiding the inconvenience as anything as accepting the risk of getting caught with just a copy. We've spent a ton of time traveling all over China and I never carried it unless buying train tickets or traveling between locations, bottom line I can't imagine dire consequences. What are they going to do deport me? I doubt it. I think the risk there is some time at the 派出所 getting scolded, which is something I can accept given the extremely small odds of ever being asked for a passport.

Is that willfully breaking the law in a foreign country? Sure! I feel about as guilty as I do renting a scooter without whatever license is required locally, drinking a can of beer in a park that is technically alcohol free but all the locals are doing the same, etc.

Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 PM

715 posts, read 1,070,947 times
I keep my passport with me at all times. I leave copies at home with a relative and have colored copies in my suitcase.

Old 12-29-2018, 07:13 PM

17,430 posts, read 13,200,337 times
Our passports are always with us. There is a photo of both of our passports in each of our phones and a copy in each piece of luggage

While in Caracas, I was stopped near Bolivar's Mausoleum by the Federales who wanted to see my PP. Reason enough to carry it.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,551,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
I actually don’t trust in-room safes, as they reportedly can be broken into by hotel staff in some cases. The only time I don’t keep valuables on me is if there’s an individual safe deposit box behind the desk with two keys, one of which I take with me.

Thieves can also break into them quite easily. Especially if they are working with an insider. So I never use them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel