Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,813,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I like to go off the beaten path. My idea of a vacation includes touring sprawling suburban subdivisions like The Woodlands, Sienna Plantation, etc, just soaking up the "suburb in the bayou/piney woods" atmosphere.
You would leave San Diego, a city with a great historical area and the beaches, to tour “The Woodlands”???
Or Sienna Plantation???
Why????
Houston in the summer is a sauna
Even if it rains, that is just more humidity to deal with
There are some fun things to do in Houston but doubt that anyone would list touring “sprawling suburban subdivisions” as part of that—
Most people living IN those subdivisions get OUT for their fun...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 AM

5,240 posts, read 3,601,795 times
Houston during the summer....

That's a punch line looking for a joke. Enjoy!

Old 01-07-2019, 06:07 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,954,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
You would leave San Diego, a city with a great historical area and the beaches, to tour “The Woodlands”???
Or Sienna Plantation???
Why????
Houston in the summer is a sauna
Even if it rains, that is just more humidity to deal with
There are some fun things to do in Houston but doubt that anyone would list touring “sprawling suburban subdivisions” as part of that—
Most people living IN those subdivisions get OUT for their fun...
Have you ever been to San Diego during the summer? Rainless every summer. All the vegetation turns brown and shrivels up, all the creeks dry up. It might be mild by the coast, but just half an hour inland you get heat waves with 100+ degree heat, with no chance of any rain, sea breeze, or cloud cover to moderate the heat. Then, even if it's a 100 degrees by day, night time will be 60 degrees. Every 4th of July I've had to bundle up to watch the nighttime fireworks, no matter how hot it was during the day.

And San Diego already has milder summers than much of California. Just thinking about the summer heat in San Bernardino, Fresno, Bakersfield drives me insane. They frequently see 100+ degree temps, sometimes up to 115 degrees, with no cloud cover, no breeze, no rain at all, for the entire summer. Brown, dry, dead, vegetation everywhere, and you're itchy all over, and you get nosebleeds from the awfully dry air.

Yes, I have been to the Gulf coast spent two months during the summer in the New Orleans and Biloxi, Mississippi areas, and the weather there was FAR FAR better than the awful rainless summers of California.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,712,898 times
Quote:
Have you ever been to San Diego during the summer? Rainless every summer. All the vegetation turns brown and shrivels up, all the creeks dry up. It might be mild by the coast, but just half an hour inland you get heat waves with 100+ degree heat, with no chance of any rain, sea breeze, or cloud cover to moderate the heat. Then, even if it's a 100 degrees by day, night time will be 60 degrees. Every 4th of July I've had to bundle up to watch the nighttime fireworks, no matter how hot it was during the day.

And San Diego already has milder summers than much of California. Just thinking about the summer heat in San Bernardino, Fresno, Bakersfield drives me insane. They frequently see 100+ degree temps, sometimes up to 115 degrees, with no cloud cover, no breeze, no rain at all, for the entire summer. Brown, dry, dead, vegetation everywhere, and you're itchy all over, and you get nosebleeds from the awfully dry air.

Yes, I have been to the Gulf coast spent two months during the summer in the New Orleans and Biloxi, Mississippi areas, and the weather there was FAR FAR better than the awful rainless summers of California.
That's why I love Pacific Northwest in the summer.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:35 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,954,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
That's why I love Pacific Northwest in the summer.
Not me. It's ridiculous that it should be 55 degrees and drizzly in Seattle in the summer. Got to have some heat, but I prefer humid heat, as then you have some greenery.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:10 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,712,898 times
Quote:
Not me. It's ridiculous that it should be 55 degrees and drizzly in Seattle in the summer. Got to have some heat, but I prefer humid heat, as then you have some greenery.
Nice.

The only other area that meets the criteria is South Florida but Texas Gulf Coast is cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel