Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 11:09 AM

5,311 posts, read 3,689,155 times

Advertisements

Young & first time out & maybe not a chance again for a number of years? I will go against my usual advice to stay & dig into one place for lasting memories. Visit both because you can & both are wonderful. Then next time out choose one to focus on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 04:44 PM

15,941 posts, read 7,969,597 times
London. One of my favorite places in the world. If you are going when it's cold, London is better for sure. It's also easier to get around if you don't speak French.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:58 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,093,712 times
You don't need to speak French to get around in Paris.

I'd do both. Fly into London, out of Paris, take the Eurostar in between. Book the tickets sooner than later, as prices increase as the date approaches.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:18 PM

10,106 posts, read 18,289,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You don't need to speak French to get around in Paris.

I'd do both. Fly into London, out of Paris, take the Eurostar in between. Book the tickets sooner than later, as prices increase as the date approaches.
^^^ This is what I did this past summer -- flew into London and out of Paris.

Mine was a work trip so different from yours, and I had 16 days (but some of that was in other cities besides London and Paris), but still ... it's definitely do-able to see both London and Paris on one trip. If you can stretch your vacation a few more days, it would be even easier. The Eurostar is efficient and quick and makes these kinds of trips very viable.

OP, let us know what you decide! I unfortunately had an injured knee while I was traveling so I couldn't enjoy either London OR Paris as much as I would have otherwise, but I could tell that if I were really healthy (and young!), both cities are FANTASTIC "walking" cities (maybe especially Paris). Their public transit systems make it easy as well! Have fun!

Old 01-06-2019, 08:15 PM

245 posts, read 315,806 times
Going to make a decision possibly in a few days. At the very latest this weekend.....

Leaning 60-40 in favor of doing both cities.

Any thoughts on the Paris riots going on? Is that just a small side-show that looks much bigger because of TV, or should I be concerned about it for our trip?

Old 01-06-2019, 09:10 PM

914 posts, read 655,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
Hello,

Would you recommend 7 full days in London OR: 4 full days in London, 1 travel day, then 2 full days in Paris? Going this winter.

I'm really torn on this.

We're still relatively young, but this might be our last major vacation for several years (guess why....) so I want to make it count.

On the one hand, my wife is a major English history buff so maybe we should really maximize London & surrounding areas. She can start naming castles and queens, etc. Also, we keep hearing how London is this magnificent city.

On the other hand, Paris is "Paris." It has all these iconic landmarks and we'll finally get to use that French we learned in school . Although I've heard the city isn't as nice as London and has gone very much downhill in the past several years. Can I live without possibly ever seeing Paris? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Any advice is appreciated.

(BTW, we're originally from New York and have been to Barcelona and Rome if that helps in describing the cities....)
As a fan of London and not so much a fan of Paris, I recommend four days in London and two in Paris. Paris is still worth seeing, but hopefully four days in London where the museums are FREE, your wife should love that. I'd highly recommend the Sir Winston Churchill War Room Tour. It was quite moving. Just writing this makes me want to rush back to visit again. What a great city. I hope it hasn't changed due to their open borders. Then when you head over to Paris, make sure to visit Notre Dame Cathedral -- there's just so much history to see there as well. But museums are $$$ so overpriced in Paris.

The world is beautiful. See it all while you can! Then you will have some time to plan your "re-visit" someday.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:19 PM

914 posts, read 655,387 times
Quote:
Going to make a decision possibly in a few days. At the very latest this weekend.....

Leaning 60-40 in favor of doing both cities.

Any thoughts on the Paris riots going on? Is that just a small side-show that looks much bigger because of TV, or should I be concerned about it for our trip?
as far as the riots going on in Paris, that seems to be the chronic situation there. They're always demonstrating and screaming and yelling about something. It seems part of daily life there. lol. These recent ones may be different because of the influx of anti-American immigrants. just stay safe and use common sense and try to have an escape plan.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:48 PM

468 posts, read 485,745 times
Nah dogg, Paris is the schiit. Just watch out for all them crazy Amazon delivery drivers protesting crazy stuff all over the Arch and stuff in they yellow vests

Old 01-06-2019, 11:47 PM

6,114 posts, read 3,156,912 times
Quote:
Hello,

Would you recommend 7 full days in London OR: 4 full days in London, 1 travel day, then 2 full days in Paris? Going this winter.

I'm really torn on this.

We're still relatively young, but this might be our last major vacation for several years (guess why....) so I want to make it count.

On the one hand, my wife is a major English history buff so maybe we should really maximize London & surrounding areas. She can start naming castles and queens, etc. Also, we keep hearing how London is this magnificent city.

On the other hand, Paris is "Paris." It has all these iconic landmarks and we'll finally get to use that French we learned in school . Although I've heard the city isn't as nice as London and has gone very much downhill in the past several years. Can I live without possibly ever seeing Paris? Maybe yes, maybe no.

Any advice is appreciated.

(BTW, we're originally from New York and have been to Barcelona and Rome if that helps in describing the cities....)
Obviously if you are going ALL THE WAY to Europe and no near future trips in plans then might as well visit the Eiffel Tower for a memory. Take a lot of photos and cherish them later, long after you have come back home.

In my opinion Windsor and Warwick castles are enough for this trip. You can visit Leeds and Hever Castles if you have enough time left.
The Prime Meredian line is also an interesting small little place to visit in London.

And don’t forget to visit the beautiful SECRET Gardens of Windsor Castle - many folks miss it or unaware of it.

Last edited by GoCardinals; 01-06-2019 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 AM

905 posts, read 801,045 times
I’d do 4 in Paris, a travel day, and 2 in London. Or skip London this trip for somewhere else on the continent and save London for later. I find Paris much more interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel