Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 10:52 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times

Advertisements

I grew up within spittin' distance of Disneyland, still live less than an hour away and have been there more times than I can count. (Anyone remember "Grad Night" at Disneyland??) I had an annual pass for two nonconsecutive years. What I like(d) about Disneyland was the rides. They do have a lot of fun, if nonthrilling, rides. I used to mark off the ones we'd been on that day on the map, and I think the record was 22 different rides on a nonpeak day.

Just try that now. Now there ARE no nonpeak days. People are lucky to get on 3-4 rides before they're exhausted by the long lines and crowds. So they spend the rest of the day taking photos with characters, eating at a restaurant ($$), shopping ($$) and swimming through the sea of people. And Disney just keeps raising and raising the ticket prices regardless! It astounds me that so many people think it is worth it, but apparently they do.

Anyway, my kids are older too and indeed the magic is gone. We haven't been to Disneyland since, I think, 2008. We would much rather go to Knott's or Six Flags/Magic Mountain which is half the price and actually has nonpeak days when you can literally get off a ride, run around to the front and get right back on again. And of course, the rides are much more exciting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 11:08 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
^^^^Me, too. Weren't we lucky growing up near Disneyland? We got to go several times a year, "back in the day" when it wasn't crowded. Parents would let us off school on our birthdays to go on an uncrowded weekday. I have so many fond memories of rides that no longer exist. Back when tickets were $12. "Carousel of Progress" and the Monsanto "shrink to an atom" whatever it was called.

I'd like to go to Disneyworld someday, but the thought of the lines and crowds---it may never happen. It's more about that than the money.

It's a pretty magical place; personally, I don't think other amusement parks compare.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:20 AM

14,306 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
the Monsanto "shrink to an atom" whatever it was called.
"Adventures in Inner Space"? I remember going on that ride with my brother when I was tiny, maybe 5, and being terrified that we would actually shrink.

When I was a little older I loved looking for the "chocolate chip cookie" asteroid among all the stars and planets wheeling around in Space Mountain. Wonder if that's still there.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:37 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,519,378 times
While I would never step foot in one of these places and I dont watch ABC or ESPN I would like to thank all that go to the Disney parks and watch the TV programming, my Disney stock is going very well, thank you!

Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 PM

1,804 posts, read 1,953,570 times
And of course, Universal follows suit whenever this happens. It has raised nearly sixfold since 1990 (when tickets were just $25, nearly three times the rate of inflation. What should have cost $191 for a family of four today based on the CPI instead costs $584.

That said, entertainment inflation (except for movies) is way up across the board. The US government estimated that $33 billion was spent on tickets for concerts, Broadway theater tickets, museum admissions, festivals, and attractions compared to $4.5 billion in 1990, topping even Disney's price increases. Average Broadway tickets cost about $130 per seat now, and this is just the average as the Tony Award winner would easily fetch close to double. $36 just to go up the Seattle Space Needle which I did? Never again, even if the weather is clear like it was when I went.

Old 01-09-2019, 12:49 PM

1,943 posts, read 1,489,069 times
I never really understood the appeal of Disney. Maybe it was because I never went until I was 15 (WDW), and by that time I could have cared less. Universal and Sea World were far better. I went to Shanghai Disney in 2017, and while I'm glad I did it, it is never something I want to do again. The Chinese are absolutely awful-behaving tourists, even within their own country, and have no concept of staying in line or treating each other with basic respect. The upside was that tickets were only $55, so it wasn't too bad, but nothing I would ever do again. I hope I never have to set foot in any Disney theme park again. Give me Six Flags any day.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:19 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Disney is a choice in life, not a requirement. If you can’t afford it; don’t go.

And you’re right, these prices won’t stop people from visiting
End thread.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:21 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1562 View Post
The Chinese are absolutely awful-behaving tourists, even within their own country, and have no concept of staying in line or treating each other with basic respec
Have you seen Chinese tourists at the actual Disneyland? It's no different.

Old 01-09-2019, 01:53 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I won't go to Disney again.

But I think maybe Disney should raise the prices even more aggressively to reduce the lines. There are plenty of people who are willing to pay 200-300 a day if they don't have to wait.
Annual passes are the way to go. It’s the easiet and cheapest

Old 01-09-2019, 01:59 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The thing is, people will continue to pay these prices because of the Disneyland name and brand. I myself haven't gone in decades, though this place used to be my favorite place to go as a kid.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...193913703.html
If one made 150k they wouldnt care. But if they dont, there are still credit cards.

Similar to iphones and cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel