Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM

493 posts, read 514,424 times

Advertisements

I live abroad (in France) and have lots of (paid) vacation time and so I travel a lot. Lately more and more people ask me how I can afford to travel so much and tbh I can't help but get offended. Am I the only one? Are people even right to ask this question? I feel like how I pay for things is none of their business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 03:06 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
It's not their business and also sometimes people have misconceptions about how much a trip costs. For example, most people think the Galapagos is expensive. Went for a week and it was the CHEAPEST trip my husband and I ever went on.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:08 PM

1,584 posts, read 980,511 times
Agreed, it’s none of their business. As are a lot of other things.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:09 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,484,437 times
I don't so much mind when they ask how I can afford to travel (I respond by sharing tips on making trips more affordable. They seem to genuinely appreciate the info). What I mind is the sarcastic "it must be nice to be able to afford to travel so much!" Usually said with an eye roll.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:13 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,364,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I don't so much mind when they ask how I can afford to travel (I respond by sharing tips on making trips more affordable. They seem to genuinely appreciate the info). What I mind is the sarcastic "it must be nice to be able to afford to travel so much!" Usually said with an eye roll.
Those people are just jealous.

Anyone can travel. My husband and I make it a priority so we make sure we have $$ saved up specifically for that.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:22 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,735 times
Doesn't bother me one bit. We take tons of weekend trips, and every now and then someone will ask us that question. We just tell them we spend very wisely in our Monday-thru-Friday lives and pick budget lodging.

I think a lot of people don't realize that modest or more-frequent travel is within their reach, but they prioritize finances on other non-essential purchases (such as typical consumerism) that they don't realize is eating up their disposable income. So of course to them, we must be rolling in the dough lol.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:36 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,264,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I think a lot of people don't realize that modest or more-frequent travel is within their reach, but they prioritize finances on other non-essential purchases (such as typical consumerism) that they don't realize is eating up their disposable income. So of course to them, we must be rolling in the dough lol.
I've never had anyone ask directly but I remember when I left on my first trip to Europe (2 years into my first real job), a few coworkers said stuff on the order of "it must be nice". I reminded them that my car was a POS bought used and I lived in a one-BR apartment. Nice apartment in a good area, but certainly not as expensive as having a mortgage, a lawn to mow, etc. It was all a matter of priorities and it still is 40 years later. I've always had modest cars and kept them till they were no longer dependable, never went in for designer clothes, didn't spend a lot in restaurants. For me (and for my late husband) it was/is a good trade-off.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:06 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Offense or indignation are useless, silly (damaging) reactive emotions that come from the lower ego self.

No, I say I save and am careful, cuz this is a priority to me...and I search
for the best times and deals, with a smile.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,687 posts, read 57,985,728 times
as you know it is pretty common to ask these things in USA, not so common in other cultures.

For the record, as above, I just explain travel is a priority, so I make it that with time and money (very little).

People turn off their ears when they hear I travel cheap, so I can travel more.

Same with life priorities. I drive a CHEAP car ($35) that runs on free fuel (Cooking oil) so I can give money to charities and so I have more money to travel.

I am eating well. So ...end of story.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:43 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
I don’t respond to questions about my financial status as that area is totally off limits. If someone gets too nosy I tell them I was smart with my money and that’s enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel