Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2019, 12:49 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times

Advertisements

Thai food at Windsor,UK and Lucerne, Switzerland, I guess it’s very good surpassed some of my local Thai places where Asian food is supposed to be plentiful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2019, 11:07 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
We ate in St. Peter's Restaurant in Salzburg, Austria a couple of months ago. The restaurant serves good food, but boasts it is 1200 years old and the oldest restaurant in Europe.

Another memorable meal was eating at Maxim's in Paris. Very old. Very classy. Very expensive.

Finally, this place is not that expensive to eat at, but its a favorite for my wife and I. We really enjoy eating at the Augustiner Keller (a large beer garden) in Munich, Germany.

Old 01-28-2019, 02:26 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Went to Hawaii and attended a Luau. great food and ambiance,dancing,music,on the beach and as much great food that you could eat.

Jiggs dinner in Newfoundland was memorable for its delicious simplicity .
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiggs_dinner

Old 01-28-2019, 09:19 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,793,443 times
Thailand features pretty high on my travel memories of food. Discovering Khao Soi before my last trip is my most recent. I had heard about the dish through vlogs before my last trip to Thailand and the dish sounded wonderful so I couldn't wait to try when I got to Chiang Mai and it lived up to my expectation and I didn't even really get to scope out any of the best versions. It will definitely be on my must have list on my next trip to Thailand, unfortunately I don't think that it is a dish that is found very often in Thai restaurants in America.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:16 PM

110 posts, read 88,786 times
Eggplant Parmigiana…I was at a workshop in Seravezza Italy. There were a number of us at Montorno studio and this tiny little woman, she rode a scooter and her name was Italia and man, could she cook! She also made fried zucchini flowers which were incredible. I'll never forget her cooking.

Old 01-28-2019, 01:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
The first time I had cactus in Mexico. Man, that stuff was so good!! It was a simple stir fry with some sort of lemon pepper sauce, but it was so delicious with a crunchy, juicy texture. My meal came with a grilled chicken and mexican rice. Mmmmm!!

Also in Mexico, the first time I tried flor the calabaza quesadilla. I still don't know what calabaza is since I get different answer every time. The lady who made it told me it's pumpkin flowers, another guy next to me said it's zucchini flowers, then google said it's squash flowers. All I know is it's really delicious!

Both were small hole in the wall food joints, one of them had no name - just a lady selling freshly made quesadilla in a market.

Last edited by graceC; 01-28-2019 at 01:56 PM..

Old 01-28-2019, 07:59 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I still don't know what calabaza is since I get different answer every time. The lady who made it told me it's pumpkin flowers, another guy next to me said it's zucchini flowers, then google said it's squash flowers. All I know is it's really delicious!
Calabaza is any type of gourd/squash, which would include pumpkin. Smaller ones (like zucchini) usually get called by the diminutive calabacita. Also, some regions will call pumpkin ayote, not calabaza.

Old 01-28-2019, 08:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Calabaza is any type of gourd/squash, which would include pumpkin. Smaller ones (like zucchini) usually get called by the diminutive calabacita. Also, some regions will call pumpkin ayote, not calabaza.
Ha! No wonder I was given different answers. I guess they’re all correct.

Old 01-28-2019, 10:59 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
My husband and I were driving through the Burgundy region of France. When the town where we had thought we would spend the night had no vacancies, we went to the next town, and the next, and finally a village where we found an available hotel room. It was a place we had never heard of, where American tourists are unlikely to go.

...I did give some thought to scattering his ashes on that hillside, but I probably wouldn't be able to find it again.
Interesting, similar... as a family we were traveling through Burgundy and a RAINY (really rainy night...) "no room in the inn" / no inns! We saw a light in a field with a sign to Pub... Showed up very wet and weary. The owner said his wife had gone home (a nearby farm), but he would call her back to cook for us. and... they had just completed (2) rooms for lodging, but had not installed the bedding / furniture.

While we unpacked the furniture and set up the beds, his wife cooked a wonderful local dish. It was a memorable night and a great feast.

In the AM they would not take any money for stay or for the food! We were quite well cared for and also vowed to return (not yet, but soon! I hope!). It really was a special memory out of 1,000's of nights out.

I will consider your need for 'ashes' delivery (Good idea!) come along! (the more the merrier).

For good eats and memorable meals... since we host international guests, they often want some 'home cooking' (Their home cooking!) so we avail our kitchen and they make some fantastic eats. We provide the fresh salmon and wild berries and garden produce from just outside the back door. + Homemade Ice Cream. (from fresh / frozen fruit grown in the backyard)

I am very partial to 'home cooking' At home or abroad. The frilly stuff never excites me. I'm fine with dropping into Philipes. (Next to LA train station) since 1908...

When local, I seek local. Good place to meet people and hear their stories. Pub / small cafes in rural ANYWHERE seem to work fine for me. (found many great places while living in Spain and traveling the region)

https://www.philippes.com/
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...alifornia.html

Old 01-29-2019, 12:32 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Interesting, similar... as a family we were traveling through Burgundy and a RAINY (really rainy night...) "no room in the inn" / no inns! We saw a light in a field with a sign to Pub... Showed up very wet and weary. The owner said his wife had gone home (a nearby farm), but he would call her back to cook for us. and... they had just completed (2) rooms for lodging, but had not installed the bedding / furniture.

While we unpacked the furniture and set up the beds, his wife cooked a wonderful local dish. It was a memorable night and a great feast.
Love hearing tales like this, a true travel experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel