Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 12:24 PM

2,413 posts, read 1,038,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Carbon emissions may be important to you, but you will be travelling in some very rough areas, I think personal safety should be first, & I agree about travelling with others. You will be an easy target.
I completely disagree.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:26 PM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
Look up Amy Biehl. Westerners are an easy target. You will be an easy mark for robbers.

Or google westerners murdered in Kenya.

I shake my head when I hear of people disregarding common sense in the pursuit of adventure.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:33 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
(resists the urge to look up the carbon emissions caused by the cremation of an adult human body)

Old 02-19-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Look up Amy Biehl. Westerners are an easy target. You will be an easy mark for robbers.

Or google westerners murdered in Kenya.

I shake my head when I hear of people disregarding common sense in the pursuit of adventure.
Many people from the UK visit Nairobi every year, and although uncommon, incidents of violent crime have resulted in the death of several British nationals in recent years.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:38 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,330,347 times
Do you have a YouTube channel?

At least get a GoPro and record the entire drive and you can speed it up and show the entire drive there and back in 10 minutes!

Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I haven't been to Africa yet, so it will be my first time outside of Europe.
English is an official language in Kenya, and it is the only language I can speak.
You ever hear the expression TIA?
I've been to Africa 4 times. It's not for the meek. As experienced as I am in travel, I still needed a tour guide in Egypt, and a military convoy to make it near Sudan, I need essentially a driver/bodyguard in S. Africa for my last business trip. Simply - as exotic and alluring as the place is, things just don't work right there.

You are going to cross roads that may exist on the map, but not in reality, or be washed out or otherwise impassable - no worries - "This is Africa".
You are going to lawless regions in some cases - OK but "This is Africa"
You will run into police and military, sometimes local militia, roadblocks with corrupt officials that will expect bribes or they will put you in jail, they will most likely steal everything you own - well of course, "This is Africa"
You will run into stretches of country where there is no food, no gas, no electricity, no hotels - yup. "This is Africa"
You will likely cross frontiers in areas with active armed conflict with this or that group, or have to arrange wide detours, to avoid conflict zones - everyone there understand it cuz "this is Africa"

You run into problems? Well expect no help, you will be on your own, because....TIA - THIS IS AFRICA.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomguy1234 View Post
I completely disagree.
50 mpg (60 mpg imperial) since 1976, no dinosaurs or toxic batteries required. (It is Very sustainable to drive a 43 yo vehicle that registers (NO EMISSIONS DETECTED) in stringent Dyno tests). The VERY nice thing... I can bump start it!!! (Had to extract an EV from a mountain campground!!! that was a 2 day chore. ). Bump starting is a benefit when in the boonies (as in Northern Africa)

I personally conserved over 40,000 gallons of dino fuel for others to waste.

Been micro footprint since 1970s (Passive homes / edible landscape / water reuse / earth homes / WALK, ride / hitchhike...)

Built EV's in 1970s (some are still driving).

If you want to do this trip under EV, Go solar (build your own, great experience (plus you will know how to fix it!)) .

Otherwise... Get a Royal Enfield diesel thumper motorcycle and run it on palm or peanut oil. (That will add to your adventure!)

BTDT since I too was a kid.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 02-19-2019 at 12:58 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Do you have a YouTube channel?

At least get a GoPro and record the entire drive and you can speed it up and show the entire drive there and back in 10 minutes!
I do have a YouTube channel, yes. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxZ...LlqLo5DnIhHSzw

I have a dash cam too, and so does my dad. There are some videos of his journeys on my channel. When I have a full licence I will upload all the videos of my journeys in full, including when I go to Kenya.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
50 mpg (60 mpg imperial) since 1976, no dinosaurs or toxic batteries required. (It is Very sustainable to drive a 43 yo vehicle that registers (NO EMISSIONS DETECTED) in stringent Dyno tests)

Personally conserved over 40,000 gallons of fuel for others to waste,

Been micro footprint since 1970s (Passive homes / edible landscape / water reuse / earth homes...)

Built EV's in 1970s (some are still driving).

Go solar (build your own) if you want to do this trip under EV.

Otherwise... Get a Royal Enfield diesel thumper motorcycle and run it on palm or peanut oil. (They will add to your adventure!)

BTDT since I too was a kid.
Do you know if you can buy solar panels to put on a car to charge the electric engine?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
You ever hear the expression TIA?
I've been to Africa 4 times. It's not for the meek. As experienced as I am in travel, I still needed a tour guide in Egypt, and a military convoy to make it near Sudan, I need essentially a driver/bodyguard in S. Africa for my last business trip. Simply - as exotic and alluring as the place is, things just don't work right there.

You are going to cross roads that may exist on the map, but not in reality, or be washed out or otherwise impassable - no worries - "This is Africa".
You are going to lawless regions in some cases - OK but "This is Africa"
You will run into police and military, sometimes local militia, roadblocks with corrupt officials that will expect bribes or they will put you in jail, they will most likely steal everything you own - well of course, "This is Africa"
You will run into stretches of country where there is no food, no gas, no electricity, no hotels - yup. "This is Africa"
You will likely cross frontiers in areas with active armed conflict with this or that group, or have to arrange wide detours, to avoid conflict zones - everyone there understand it cuz "this is Africa"

You run into problems? Well expect no help, you will be on your own, because....TIA - THIS IS AFRICA.
There are plenty of food, gas, electricity and hotels on my route. There are a couple of stops in the middle of nowhere that require camping, but I'll make sure to stock up on food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel