Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 03:36 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,634 times

Advertisements

Are there cheapish (less than 200 grand) ocean-going vessels you can live on continuously? I was just busy at work the other day and was daydreaming about having a boat I lived on and nomadically travelled from port to port on. I’d also be fishing off of the boat.

Does this exist or is it just a figment of my imagination?

I imagine if it does exist, its only availiable to the ultrawealthy, but I’d be willing to sell my house when I retire and do something like that if I could finance the boat and pay less than 1,000 a month on it (in todays money, since this is more fantasy than something I intend to do any time soon).

There were a few jobs that involved travel when I wanted to do when I was younger, but ended up not being able to do them for one reason or another, so I’m waiting till retirement to enjoy travel and I want to make it count when I get there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 04:16 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Are there cheapish (less than 200 grand) ocean-going vessels you can live on continuously? I was just busy at work the other day and was daydreaming about having a boat I lived on and nomadically travelled from port to port on. I’d also be fishing off of the boat.

Does this exist or is it just a figment of my imagination?

I imagine if it does exist, its only availiable to the ultrawealthy, but I’d be willing to sell my house when I retire and do something like that if I could finance the boat and pay less than 1,000 a month on it (in todays money, since this is more fantasy than something I intend to do any time soon).

There were a few jobs that involved travel when I wanted to do when I was younger, but ended up not being able to do them for one reason or another, so I’m waiting till retirement to enjoy travel and I want to make it count when I get there.
Google is your friend. There are a ton of different ones that are way under $200,000. Have seen some really nice ones for 50K and even some for less. Think more of a floating travel trailer.LOL

We thought about doing this on the west coast but found finding marinas that let you stay long term are rare in the areas we wanted to stay.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:47 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,592,028 times
First of all, a houseboat is not a blue water boat. You are not going to take one out to sea and live through it. The best type of ocean-going boat is a trawler with a full displacement hull. One in your price range is going to be older and will probably become a money pit. You can also get a liveaboard sailboat, but what you save in fuel you'll spend on sails and rigging.

You really need to go to a boating forum to get the information you need. You can also watch YouTube videos. There are lots of people who post frequently about their liveaboard lifestyle.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:06 PM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
First of all, a houseboat is not a blue water boat. You are not going to take one out to sea and live through it. The best type of ocean-going boat is a trawler with a full displacement hull. One in your price range is going to be older and will probably become a money pit. You can also get a liveaboard sailboat, but what you save in fuel you'll spend on sails and rigging.

You really need to go to a boating forum to get the information you need. You can also watch YouTube videos. There are lots of people who post frequently about their liveaboard lifestyle.
I was thinking the OP was using the term houseboat as any boat you can live on. I have been on the pontoon ones on lakes, huge retired ocean cargo ships renovated to have several apartments in them, to floating concrete boxes with trailer houses on them. All were called houseboats.

The ones we looked at were the live aboard sailboats that also had engines on them. There are basically like small travel trailers inside with cool ovens/stoves that tilt/move with the waves.

I agree with the poster I quoted about searching youtube. There are some great videos on the boats and some great info on what it is really like to live on a boat.

Old 03-16-2019, 09:43 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,707,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaerik View Post
first of all, a houseboat is not a blue water boat. you are not going to take one out to sea and live through it. The best type of ocean-going boat is a trawler with a full displacement hull. One in your price range is going to be older and will probably become a money pit. You can also get a liveaboard sailboat, but what you save in fuel you'll spend on sails and rigging.

You really need to go to a boating forum to get the information you need. You can also watch youtube videos. There are lots of people who post frequently about their liveaboard lifestyle.
^^^this.^^^

Old 03-17-2019, 01:39 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,502,256 times
I'm confused by "Houseboats that are more like ocean going vessels". Perhaps the poster is referring to a yacht? I hope? And as Sam pointed out, marinas can be very expensive. Even a semi-decent spot on a lake marina can run as much monthly as an apartment.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:00 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,601,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post

I have been enjoying the youtube videos. I now know I have something cool to look forward to as an older single man (I seriously doubt I’ll ever marry). Next thing I’ll look up is about deep sea fishing.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:26 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
You can do this in Europe (canal barges).

It is popular with single guy retirees (even from USA)

There were several blogs and prices were in the $200 - $300k range. People often would do it for ~5 yrs and sell to the next person desiring this lifestyle.

You will note that boats are very inexpensive to buy! (yet expensive to keep). When in NZ I was really amazed at how inexpensive for liveaboards. But... the ferry captain explained there were just a few nice days / yr...

Many Europeans have motor-sailers and do Canada to AK in summer and winter in the Gulf or San Juan Islands. There were about 15 - 20 of them over-wintering in a harbor on a Canadian Gulf Island where we spent a winter.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:00 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,083,845 times
Plenty of older trawler hulls available for well less than $200,000

Would I want to go far out at sea in them without significant repairs and upgrades? No.

But they would be fine for cruising the coasts of the US and down to South America.

Get a copy of Passage Maker magazine. Lots of leads, info and experiences in there.

Old 03-20-2019, 04:34 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Plenty of large-ish sailboats for under $200,000. Get around without the cost if gasoline. Plenty of roomy fishing trawlers for under $200,000. Clean them up and have plenty of space.

Year round on the ocean, you will want to be on the East coast. The ocean on the west coast isn't a lot of fun in the winter.

Sometimes, in Florida, you can buy a cheap house on one of the canals that has the right to have a dock. That would give you a home base where you could tie up occasionally.

Docking for ocean going boats is really expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel