Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 06:05 AM

2,887 posts, read 5,121,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Airbnb still has a long way to go in terms of winning over the hotel crowd. It still smacks very much of being a backpacker's-bargain, "sharing economy" hack job. Maybe if there wasn't so much student debt, lodging would not be such an impact to people's vacation budgets
I think we get your point now, you don’t like Airbnb and would rather stay at hotels. That’s fine. Now do you have anything to contribute to the OP’s question, which is ‘why Airbnb and not Homeaway/VRBO?’, and NOT ‘do you look for alternatives to hotels when you travel?’

Others in this thread are guilty of changing the topic as well, but so far you have been the only one to include meaningless blanket generalizations such as the one quoted above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 AM

5,696 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Last trip to Europe, we primarily stayed in AriBNBs. We always do an entire place and come off way cheaper than hotels.

To the OP's initial question, I'm not really sure why we use AirBNB vs VRBO. Mostly it's the exact same places.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:20 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,968,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Last trip to Europe, we primarily stayed in AriBNBs. We always do an entire place and come off way cheaper than hotels.
I've had the same experience. We've been staying in hotels lately though because I have a family member who works for Hilton. The 50% discount I get is better than Airbnb, but if I was paying full price for a hotel I would prefer a rental. I like having the kitchen space and separate areas for when I want to go to sleep before my SO.

Quote:
To the OP's initial question, I'm not really sure why we use AirBNB vs VRBO. Mostly it's the exact same places.
Most people do list their rentals on multiple sites, so most likely it is listed on both Airbnb and VRBO.

My dad has some odd thing against Airbnb, so when I looked up a place to rent for a family vacation this summer I sent him the VRBO link even though I had originally found the place on Airbnb. I like the search functions and the way the information is laid out on Airbnb better, so that is why I often use them. But when looking for rentals, I'll often search multiple sites, especially if I'm booking late or someplace with slim pickings.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:57 PM

1,417 posts, read 729,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I don't get all the hype, anytime I have checked the prices, it is more expensive than a hotel room. On one occasion, I found a cottage we wanted to stay in, but the owner did not respond to my requests for info, so I prefer hotels.
And generally if you are a woman and you stay at a Hilton you don't have some pervert video recording you or peeping at you as you shower.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:46 AM

5,696 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
I've had the same experience. We've been staying in hotels lately though because I have a family member who works for Hilton. The 50% discount I get is better than Airbnb, but if I was paying full price for a hotel I would prefer a rental. I like having the kitchen space and separate areas for when I want to go to sleep before my SO.

Most people do list their rentals on multiple sites, so most likely it is listed on both Airbnb and VRBO.

My dad has some odd thing against Airbnb, so when I looked up a place to rent for a family vacation this summer I sent him the VRBO link even though I had originally found the place on Airbnb. I like the search functions and the way the information is laid out on Airbnb better, so that is why I often use them. But when looking for rentals, I'll often search multiple sites, especially if I'm booking late or someplace with slim pickings.
All good points. I guess I do like the Superhost feature on AirBNB. I only rent from them.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 800 times
Airbnb is present on the market for longer time and that can be the reason why people find it more reliable. Moreover, they have great marketing strategy since the two first names that come to our mind when thinking about traveling is Booking.com and Airbnb.

Old 03-21-2019, 10:37 AM

551 posts, read 1,570,973 times
I initially chose Air b n b because it was different and sounded fun. Now when I travel, I check them first. I love the social aspect of it. I have met some wonderful hosts and other guests; and have seen some beautiful homes, rooms and properties. It is a much more personal experience for me and I love it. It has always been cheaper even with fees. I am always looking for an economical way to travel and this is definitely it. If I can’t find what I want on Air b n b then I check home away next.

I have stayed at 10 different Air b n b’s and all but 1 have been phenomenal experiences. I’m staying in 3 more this summer.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asonnier View Post
I initially chose Air b n b because it was different and sounded fun. Now when I travel, I check them first. I love the social aspect of it. I have met some wonderful hosts and other guests; and have seen some beautiful homes, rooms and properties. It is a much more personal experience for me and I love it. It has always been cheaper even with fees. I am always looking for an economical way to travel and this is definitely it. If I can’t find what I want on Air b n b then I check home away next.

I have stayed at 10 different Air b n b’s and all but 1 have been phenomenal experiences. I’m staying in 3 more this summer.
If you enjoy the personal contact and information / experiences you have with hosts...
consider these millions of 'other' options.
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

30+ yrs as host / participant and over 1000 nights out Worldwide.. never over $20 / night (often free)

These more traditional hosts have a passion to host, not a profit motive.

If young, Servas.org is not age restricted and is FREE worldwide (since 1947)

I have never used CouchSurfing, and only 8 Air B&B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel