Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2019, 04:20 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,517,065 times

Advertisements

I have better things to do with my time. I'm not that hard up to get a discount!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 04:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,169,139 times
Not worth it

Old 02-27-2019, 04:49 PM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,938 times
My vacation time is too valuable to waste listening to some idiot babble about the great time share they have to sell me.

Orlando and Vegas have plenty of cheap hotel rooms and if you want travel points sign up for a new credit card that will give you at least 50,000 points and no fee for the first year, use the points and cancel it. There are plenty of ways to get a bargain without listening to a scam.

Old 02-27-2019, 05:26 PM

78,347 posts, read 60,539,645 times
There is a great southpark episode about timeshares...can't get ya the short clip but the episode is called Asspen, spelled like that.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:10 PM

5,451 posts, read 4,045,402 times
DH and I sat through many timeshare presentations for all kinds of free stuff. Never even tempted to buy. At my time of life, I wouldn't do it again and would just find it annoying, as I would any hard sales pitch.

I have only known one person who was happy with their timeshare purchase. Several who were not.

If you are going with your spouse or SO (they usually require that) make sure you are on the same page. I knew a couple who wound up with one, each was waiting for the other person to say NO.

Old 02-27-2019, 07:22 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,921,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
DH and I sat through many timeshare presentations for all kinds of free stuff. Never even tempted to buy. At my time of life, I wouldn't do it again and would just find it annoying, as I would any hard sales pitch.

If you are going with your spouse or SO (they usually require that) make sure you are on the same page. I knew a couple who wound up with one, each was waiting for the other person to say NO.

We've been to several as well, just for the free stuff. Once, it was just for a free breakfast in Mexico and we told the guy that's the only reason we were there before we sat down. We had a nice breakfast and didn't talk about the time share at all.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:36 PM

2,076 posts, read 4,071,714 times
I did this exact promo with Hilton (in Orlando) a few months ago. Easy peasy. They had us all in a group presentation for about an hour and then broke off with individual sales persons. They ask you some places you want to go, show you the nice hotels they have in that area. Show you how much money you're already spending in vacations and how you will save money. Eventually I was shown a price. I said "I don't think this is right for me at this time". The sales person said "OK, let's get you out of here". He brought over the sales manager/closer who offered one more deal, I said no and was done. I was never rude or told them I was only there for the free gift. I was polite but generally speaking probably a little short.

Literally zero pressure or stress. I was walking out the door in two hours.

You do have to factor in additional time to drive there and it does interrupt your day. I spent a half day at Disney World that particular day instead of a full day.

I got three nights hotel (worth probably about $130-$150 per night in real rates since Orlando is generally a lower cost hotel market), 15,000 Hilton points, and they gave me a "free night certificate" good for 1 night free in the next six months at a Hilton property worth up to $200. In reality it was worth about $600. I'm good with giving three hours of my time (including travel) for $600.

Old 02-27-2019, 08:55 PM

658 posts, read 721,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Why go thru all that hassle when a simple, “No, I’m not interested, but thank you for a lovely presentation.” works just fine?

Now, if the OP has thought about a timeshare and is truly interested in what they’re selling, then yes, they should educate themselves; however for free points and a discount stay? Nope
We did one of those sit thru a presentation and tour thing for tickets to Orlando. So we spent about 4 or 5 hours with this salesguy and I mean the timeshare itself was nice and all but we had no intention of buying one. After our little tour we came back to the main building and basically sat at a table in this massive room filled with tables and suckers and salespeople all trying to desperately get folks to buy in. They will go on and on and on and on for hours if they think they can break you. You can say no 50 times and they will not stop. It literally took us HOURS to wear the guy down at which point he ran off to get backup. The lady he got then pitched more and tried harder and wasted some more time on us before they hung their heads in defeat and sadly sent us off to yet another area with a private room so we could get our vouchers etc. They hide you away in those, ha ha. We got the voucher and all that, we got some moolah on a Visa gift card, and in the long run we didn't bother taking the trip because once all was calculated we realized that it just wouldn't work out with our schedules etc. It was only for I think 2 nights or something.

It was an interesting experience though. You must have fortitude to get through it and not crack.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:50 PM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,654 times
Everyone should do it once in their lives. So, absolutely, do it! I did it in Vegas. They actually picked us up in a limousine, and I can't remember how much it all was, but I recall it being something like 2 nights in the Hilton on the strip for something like $149 and it included some free-play money and maybe a buffet voucher? I remember thinking how awful the presentation was -- it was only about an hour long -- but you'll never forget how awful those sharks are. I'm a huge proponent of marijuana and it's legal in Vegas, so I say, go a little stoned and have some fun with it.

TL; DR: It's not a WOW type of discount, but it's pretty cool (especially the limo ride down the strip). It's a life experience. Definitely do it once.

Obviously don't ever buy that crap because timeshares have to be the stupidest idea ever... but yeah!

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 02-27-2019 at 09:54 PM.. Reason: It might have been longer than an hour but cut short because of how stupid we knew it was.

Old 02-27-2019, 09:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,581,875 times
Nope. Not worth my time. And I'd be a prime target for these vultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel