Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 07:37 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,874,042 times

Advertisements

My wife always drags me to one of those when we go on vacation to _________. I try to resist, but SHE is the one who lays on the most pressure, not the salespeople. She reminds we will get whatever spiffs they offer for listening to their garbage. We have been to many of them and always say no. But you have to have nerves of steel. And most people don't. So unless you are absolutely certain you can say no no matter what, don't go. I have noticed the goodies aren't as nice as they used to be either. I have been to probably 20 the past 15 years and they have gotten rather chintzy, so that's something else to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 08:14 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,087,728 times
I'd also like to add that some of those who take on jobs as high pressure time share salespeople may have dubious backgrounds. Do you really want to give out a lot of your personal information to someone like that? Just for a dinner coupon or a one night stay in a hotel?

Old 03-02-2019, 08:52 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,874,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
I'd also like to add that some of those who take on jobs as high pressure time share salespeople may have dubious backgrounds. Do you really want to give out a lot of your personal information to someone like that? Just for a dinner coupon or a one night stay in a hotel?
That's true for any job.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:23 AM

2,687 posts, read 1,650,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I am a member of the Hilton Honors reward program and I just recently received an email from them for $199 for 3 nights in Orlando or Las Vegas and 15,000 points. To get that rate you have to book it before March 5th and listen to a timeshare presentation.

Has anyone ever done this?

Here is the link:

https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com...ersion=chaserA

Years ago I was dragged to one of the timeshare presentations in order to get free Disneyworld tickets. It was so awful and so high pressure sales pitch that I vowed to myself never to attend any such ting in the future. They purposefully delayed us on and on while the Disney world open time was elapsing and the day passes were getting less valuable by the minute.

I would rather have a root canal or tooth extraction than attend of these timeshare presentations. And i am serious about it.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:27 AM

3,550 posts, read 3,087,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
That's true for any job.

LOL, maybe that's true where you live. In my neck of the woods security clearances and background checks are an everyday part of life. People with criminal histories end up doing things like selling time shares partly because they CAN'T get most of the other jobs around here.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:52 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,796,176 times
Its a bad idea to go for a presentation where they offer you a prize at the end. They will delay and delay and waste your day because they got you because you want the free stuff. What the OP is describing is way different and a great deal. Here was what I got in exchange for $199 and 2 hours of a late Vegas morning.

3 nights Elara (worth about 600 at that weekend, I checked). Dinner for 2 at an okay place (worth 50 bucks). 2 tickets to a show (worth 100) and a free night at a hotel voucher in the year following, (call it 150). So for 2 hours I got about 700 bucks worth of value. I'm not that short of time where that wasn't worth it.

And the experience wasn't negative at all. But I'm the kind of person who enjoys buying a new car at a dealership, and I understand most people hate doing that. So I'm different I suppose... But all you have to do is say we don't want it, thanks.

Old 03-02-2019, 04:49 PM

88,139 posts, read 83,978,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamban View Post
Years ago I was dragged to one of the timeshare presentations in order to get free Disneyworld tickets. It was so awful and so high pressure sales pitch that I vowed to myself never to attend any such ting in the future. They purposefully delayed us on and on while the Disney world open time was elapsing and the day passes were getting less valuable by the minute.

I would rather have a root canal or tooth extraction than attend of these timeshare presentations. And i am serious about it.
Same here decades ago. You can't just say "no thanks", get your tickets or voucher or whatever and leave. They bring in another hard-sell person you have to listen to, they make you sit and wait, it's just a miserable experience.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:18 PM

6,871 posts, read 7,826,644 times
We did that on our honeymoon for a snorkel trip. It was fine...until the first sales guy left and the second one came in. His strategy seemed to be to terrify us into buying. He was horribly mean. Now that I'm older I'm stunned that we sat through it and didn't tell him where to go. I don't think I've been treated as poorly as that since.

Would I do it again? Maybe. It would depend on my travelling companion. Would we find it hilariously funny? then we'd go.

Old 03-02-2019, 07:47 PM
Status: "A solution in search of a problem" (set 21 days ago)

34,537 posts, read 16,599,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I am a member of the Hilton Honors reward program and I just recently received an email from them for $199 for 3 nights in Orlando or Las Vegas and 15,000 points. To get that rate you have to book it before March 5th and listen to a timeshare presentation.

Has anyone ever done this?

Here is the link:

https://www.hiltongrandvacations.com...ersion=chaserA
Two times. In December 1993 my wife and I got drastically reduced prices at Disney World and Sea World for taking such a lecture. In May 1995 my wife won a free trip, all expenses paid trip for us to St. Lucia. We did have to attend a timeshare presentation.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:17 PM

4,236 posts, read 3,683,408 times
We've done them a bunch of times and we're doing one again in a couple months. You do have to resist the pressure, but they've always been worth it to us. The properties are usually quite nice (although not always and that's good to know, too.)

Often, the ones affiliated with hotels -- Marriott, Sheraton, Hilton, etc., are available for booking as hotels through the hotel sites. (Or sometimes you see a week at one of them offered through VRBO, Craigslist, Ebay, etc.) So if the property is at a location that you'll vacation at more than once, it can be useful to know what the property is in case you want to rent one of the units later.

Yes, it takes a few hours, and it depends on what else you want to use the vacation for. In our case, it's enabling us to take a trip we wouldn't otherwise take, and we can see some family during the trip. It's in Orlando, and we actually stayed at the property last year by paying for it through the website. Since we did all the Disney parks last year (as our Disney vacation), we don't need to do that again this year. We'll go to universal one day, see the relatives one or two days, and just relax by the pool and enjoy the warmer weather one or two days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel