Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 11:17 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times

Advertisements

I don't suppose this really needs a link to any particular news story for background . . . .

Here was my letter to their top end . . . .

=====================================

My Dearest AA,

Started the day at DFW.

After three re-books and flight cancellations, during the day, I was glad I never made onto one of your planes, and be stranded at some mid-point like so many.

Funniest part of the day was in the evening when the ticket agents started closing lines and screaming at the passengers to "Go Away."

Would have liked to caught that on video, but alas, my camera was in my checked luggage, which you have refused to return, even though it nor I ever left the airport.

Now I understand you are going to insist on shipping my luggage to California at some unknown future time, when you may be flying planes that way, only to send it back or lose it or whatever, before telling me to come pick it up. At this point, I do not really expect to see it again.

For my part and probably another good chunk of customers -- I will follow that ticket agent's advice and Go Away! and not come back.

Looking forward to your bankruptcy. Maybe Wal-Mart will open and run an airline.

Sad part is you run such a crap operation with America in the name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:23 AM

468 posts, read 1,637,432 times
Once upon a time, I wanted to visit my cousin and her husband in Nashville, Tennessee.

It was the eve of Thanksgiving, and I had a flight leaving out of O'Hare at 8:00pm.

American Airlines postponed the flight 5 times until 1:30AM, then because the flight crew felt too tired, they canceled the flight. They told us we needed to re-book. There were over 250 of us.

They didn't give us calling cards, and they only had one counter open to deal with 250 people.

With my essential electronics drained of their batteries (laptop, cell phone, iPod, etc) and without any cash or change, I ran around the airport trying to find another open counter. I didn't.

I asked around for change, and I was able to scrap enough money to collect call my mom, so she could call my cousin and tell her what's happened.

Finally, a new counter opened up, and I had a flight rebooked for 5:30pm the next day. I slept overnight at the airport and starting at 6:30am until 2:30pm, I attempted to fly standby on around 15 flights all around O'Hare.

I got to Nashville at around 4:00pm. American Airlines didn't even offer an apology, complementary flight, snacks, a calling card, or anything. I wrote them a 3 page letter, almost on behalf of everyone else on the flight, and they could only offer me 5,000 miles.

I have wished death upon AA ever since.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:06 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Oh please let them get it together just long enough for us to get o my sons wedding in CA...PLEASE!! I hope because they are doing all of this now it will be over and done with next week?! I don't think I'll try holding my breath though.....sigh.....

Old 04-10-2008, 11:05 PM

808 posts, read 3,648,078 times
I honestly think this will be the beginning of the end for American Airlines.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:34 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh please let them get it together just long enough for us to get o my sons wedding in CA...PLEASE!! I hope because they are doing all of this now it will be over and done with next week?! I don't think I'll try holding my breath though.....sigh.....
From what I understand, the inspections do not take very long. Look at it this way... They cancelled about 1000 flights on a Thursday. They're cancelling about half that many on Friday which is a busier travel day. I imagine that all of the inspections will be done by the end of the weekend. Also, it wasn't the entire fleet of American Airlines aircraft, just the MD-88 fleet. I'm not sure if you know what kind of airplane you are flying on, but it doesn't mean that every airplane in the fleet is grounded, just that particular airframe. Barring another gaffe on their part with some other inspection you will probably be good to go.

Old 04-11-2008, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by awecelot View Post
I honestly think this will be the beginning of the end for American Airlines.
Buckle in. After what happened at SWA you're about to watch the entire aviation industry in the States get torn assunder by the FAA and/or the fear of failing an inspection from the FAA. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:32 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,688,401 times
My airline got rid of the MD-80 series several years ago. I haven't worked on a "Super Tube" since then.

It's built like a tank, and has been in service for almost 30 years. In that time span, there has never been a problem, or fire with this area of wiring. The wheel well is super cold and unpressurized. At 600 mph, and 30,000 feet, there isn't enough oxygen, or fumes to support combustion. So what is really going on here? The FAA got their pee pee spanked over the Southwest incident. They are now making up for it by over reacting.
AA grounded the MD-80's two weeks ago for this same problem. There were hundreds of mechanics in several stations all doing this inspection. Did they all fall off the turnip truck and make the same mistakes? I don't think so. This is obviously a paperwork problem. More likely a paperwork interpretation problem.

I quit going to this website because of the 15 year old experts, and armchair CEOs.
There are still a few informative discussions. You just have to weed through the crap.
Reply #8 is of particular importance. AA Cancels Flights Again To Inspect MD80 Fleet — Civil Aviation Forum | Airliners.net

I have searched for pictures and actual work instructions, but have not been able to find them. This is the original AD. It talks about inconsistent directions.
FR Doc 05-8657

The second AD was issued after a review of the first.
Federal Register: PROPOSED RULES Airworthiness directives: [14 CFR Part 39]

This is an important part of the AD
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
American Airlines (referred to hereafter in this AD as ``AAL''), in a comment submitted through the Air Transport Association of America (ATA), requests that we revise paragraph (a) of the first supplemental NPRM to specifically state the requirements to inspect, repair or replace wires, and modify. AAL declares ``vague'' the statement, ``* * * do all applicable corrective and other specified actions * * *.'' AAL assumes that ``applicable corrective (actions)'' refers to repairing or replacing chafed or damaged wiring, and that ``other specified actions'' refers to installing protective sleeving on the wire bundle, changing the routing of the wiring, and replacing the straight connector backshell with a 90degree backshell.''

We do not agree that any clarification is needed. The terms ``correction actions'' and ``other specified actions,'' as well as ``related investigative actions,'' are used in many of the ADs we write as a means of clarifying and simplifying the AD requirements
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

American Airlines said, "Hey, this isn't very clear. Give us more details." The Feds said,"Go pound salt."

Now AA is spending millions of dollars because the Government was embarrassed by Southwest Airlines. AA is getting a bum deal.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:43 AM

South Range,

You're right. To me, it's a bunch of BS what's going on. It's going to really hurt the aviation industry because of what happened with SWA. It's a shame. The FAA continues to put out vague AD's that no one knows how to interpret and now they're going to come down with the hammer of justice if you don't know how to read between their lines.

I see Frontier Airlines just filed Chapter 11 as well...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:50 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Ive never really had any peeves with A A.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:30 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
I'm not sure I buy the MD-80 is built like a tank comment. That may be so, but it is 20+ years old and the chances of failure increases incrementally. I think that the FAA's Southwest office has been a little too cozy with both AA and Southwest. That FAA should be on the side of the passengers not the airlines. So, it is probably an overreaction but it is better to be safe than sorry.

It is time for AA to retire these planes. If AA goes bankrupt so be it. It will actually help the airline industry as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel