Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 04:41 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaDeValery View Post
When you say "bag" or "carry on" I don't know which one you mean. I will have a small carry on suitcase - the thing that gets stowed overhead on the plane- and a messenger bag (ie, my purse, which is my personal item).

Do the carry on bag and the personal item (purse) both go in the TSA bins?

Also, are metal zippers on a coat (just a regular zipper) going to cause a problem? (I assume not, but so many zippers are plastic these days...)
Your carry on (suitcase) will go on the conveyor belt. You may have to remove any fluids (which should be packed in a plastic bag. Note the maximum size of the plastic bag and fluids allowed.

https://www.dhs.gov/how-do-i/learn-w...an-bring-plane

Your messenger bag will go in one of the bins, or on the conveyor belt - you choose. But they may move it.

ALL coats, with and without zippers, have to come off. You put them in the bin.

And remember that some airports are using full body scanners. Don't get scared by them - they are harmless.

Be aware that the gate agent may take that carry on suitcase and say you have to check it. They do this when they know the bins are full (which happens a lot these days). The gate agent will take your suitcase at the gate and give you a receipt. When you arrive, they may have the suitcase on the gangway, but more often, you'll have to go to baggage pick up to get it.

Enjoy your trip, and RELAX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 05:00 PM

1,715 posts, read 2,836,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IonRedline08 View Post

Awesome, thanks!

I don't mind checking it even just worried that security will say I can bludgeon someone with it or since I don't have a doctor's certification of gimpness or whatever I can't take it past the checkpoint.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:42 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I have a custom cane/walking stick with brass cobra head. No grandpa cane and no intention of ever getting one. Any problems going thru airport security?
You can take a cane through security, but they will likely require it go through the x-ray.

Old 03-07-2019, 06:48 PM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViolettaDeValery View Post
When you say "bag" or "carry on" I don't know which one you mean. I will have a small carry on suitcase - the thing that gets stowed overhead on the plane- and a messenger bag (ie, my purse, which is my personal item).

Do the carry on bag and the personal item (purse) both go in the TSA bins?

Also, are metal zippers on a coat (just a regular zipper) going to cause a problem? (I assume not, but so many zippers are plastic these days...)
You're overthinking. There's no differentiation between "bag" and "carry on" when going through security. When I say bag, I'm referring to either of the bags you're carrying. The "one carry on and one personal item" rule is only relevant to the airlines. TSA doesn't care what kind or size of carry on bag(s) you're carrying.

Your phone can remain in either of the bags you're carrying.

Metal zippers on your coat aren't a problem. The coat will go in a bin and on the conveyor belt.

Old 03-07-2019, 07:05 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
I haven't flown for a VERY long time and I don't know the current procedures. I'm pretty clear on how you take out your electronics for screening, but I need to bring a power bank (a regular-sized one, for a phone) in my carry-on bag, yet I never see any instructions on how those are to be packed in your bag or handled at screening time. Are they considered an electronic device? Do they need to be placed in the bins? Or do they stay in your bag, like a curling iron would?

(I know lithium power banks aren't allowed in checked baggage, I'm talking about carry-on where they are allowed.)

Also, what about your personal bag (like a purse or messenger bag), I assume those are screened as well? Do you empty your purse of these "bin" items at the same time as your carry-on bag? Sorry, I never see any info about this on TSA instruction sites.

I plan to take a messenger bag with me as my personal item, it fits the size guidelines for my airline but I don't know what TSA expects me to do with it.

Also, they don't seem to want you to put your phone in the bin, so what should you do with your phone? Carry it through the passenger scanner with you? I'm a bit confused.
Flew from Newark to Seattle this past weekend.

1. Any electronics LARGER than a typical phone (ipad, kindle, laptop, etc.) needs to be in a bin, placed flat, with nothing covering it or below it.

2. Phone can be inside your personal item or your coat if it is placed in a bin. I decided to avoid the issue and just placed it next to my ipad in the bin.

3. Personal iterm (a purse), was placed in a bin separate from the electronic items (it would have covered them) and with my coat on the way out. I left the small external battery I use for my devices in my purse. This was not an issue coming or going. Sea-tac had much smaller bins and had us place coats and purse directly on the belt of the screener like luggage.

4. Newark did not make anyone remove shoes, Sea-tac did.

5. Belts almost always make the walk through go off, so I put mine in my carryon bag and then put it back on after going through security.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:02 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,924,464 times
I think people - even seasoned flyers - needlessly complicate the process by dressing improperly.

1. Wear pants that don't need a belt, and ideally have plastic buttons instead of zippers.
2. Wear T shirts without metal.
3. Take everything out of your pockets and put them in your bag. That includes packs of gum with their foil wrappers.
4. (for non-US travelers), wear a pair of grandpa slippers so you don't have to take your footwear off. Swap for your shoes afterwards.

Easy peasy.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:18 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,265,237 times
After having "security" people paw through the underwear in my carry-on bag in search of an electrical transformer I had there and nearly missing a flight in one instance (both times in London), I've learned to take a large gallon plastic bag and put all my cords, wires, chargers, adapters, etc, into it and run it through separately. Not required, but it lets them examine them easily. They even thanked me for doing that in Zurich.

The irony: after doing research on the Internet I found that nearly all my electronics accepted international voltages, although I had to buy another Sonicare that did. Now I just need the adapters, which accept US-type plugs but plug into local outlets. No transformer needed.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:50 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
I travel with a prescription skin ointment, which is packaged in a jar which is larger than the maximum size for a liquid - but it shows the prescription information on its label. Always, the TSA folks ask if they can separately test it. They take what looks like a cotton round and wipe it over the surface of the jar (without opening it) and put the piece of cotton in a machine which then reports thumbs up or thumbs down. I assume the machine is trying to determine if there is any trace of an explosive. It has never tested positive. Then I'm on my way. It takes maybe an extra 1 minute or so.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:51 AM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times
For me personally, I like to get to the airport quite a bit ahead of the time recommended. This minimizes my personal stress of being held up in the security line - but that's just me.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
I have a custom cane/walking stick with brass cobra head. No grandpa cane and no intention of ever getting one. Any problems going thru airport security?
If you can walk thru the screening without the cane then do so and put the cane on the screening belt. If you can't they will probably pat you down and check the cane out. Easier on you to just put the cane on the belt and walk through and grab you cane then you bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel