Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 02:21 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,923,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Hard to believe that Alaska is denying anyone dividends because they cannot produce a paper boarding pass. Plenty of other ways to verify residency. Geez, what if you drove there or arrived by ship? A boarding pass doesn't prove residency anyway. You wouldn't have one if you never left. In any event, save as a pdf and if audited, print it out.

Airline boarding pass verification is for “Allowable Absences” and not PFD general residency eligibility. It also states transportation receipts for the ferry or even a mileage plan statement would work. There are many options other than an airline boarding pass. I’m sure the verbiage will be changed once boarding passes are eliminated.

This is actually a good example of people hanging on to the thought that boarding passes are necessary and refuse to believe that someday they will be gone. It will certainly be an easier transition for those that are embracing technology.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
So the State of Alaska strongly urges people who are out of state more than 90 days to retain hard copies of their boarding passes and flight itinerary.
And what proof is that?? I can make a flight itinerary, check in, print a boarding pass and cancel it.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:38 PM

17,581 posts, read 13,362,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm View Post
Today most of us typically print our own boarding passes and concert tickets at home, but an inconvenient side effect of this is that our tickets and boarding passes now look like every other sheet of 8x11 paper that we have.

For an upcoming trip I was wondering if anybody sells boarding pass card stock. In the past, I've used electronic copies on my phone as well as folded up 8x11 sheets of paper, but I've always thought a good old fashioned oblong piece of cardboard would be better than either of those, especially when I'm rummaging in my backpack for it, or my wife is doing the same in her purse.
Why waste your money?

Old 03-13-2019, 10:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
And what proof is that?? I can make a flight itinerary, check in, print a boarding pass and cancel it.

Not only that but "strongly urges" is code for "we can't require it or do anything about it so please make it easy for us". If one has established proof of residency through residence rental/ownership or utility service, why all the nonsense about boarding passes at all? Absence? What absence?

Like I said, I'm sure people can manufacture all sorts of scenarios to justify the paper.

Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Airline Clerk can print good Boarding Pass on quality paper at their kiosk. Their are also self-printing machines at the airport. I am old fashioned- so I still go to kiosk for check-in, give baggage and let them print boarding pass.

For international travel, you cant miss kiosk.

Old 03-14-2019, 11:03 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Why in the world would you want to waste paper to print up the boarding pass? I fly two to three times a month and never have had an issue with the mobile boarding pass.

(now watch I have jinxed myself)

Old 03-14-2019, 01:24 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post

Mine can be checked with Alaska Airlines and verified.

Old 03-14-2019, 03:10 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:

I really don't think an airline is going to confirm a passenger manifest to a third-party without a warrant.

And the airline doesn't need an old paper boarding pass to confirm you were on a flight

Still not sure why you need to provide proof of your return if you just don't provide proof of your departure.

Old 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Quote:
So....why bother saving all the boarding passes on card stock??? My point was---having them printed out is not proof.

Old 03-15-2019, 08:22 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,381,699 times
If you want to print it, print it … I don't understand the want for cardstock though … plus that type of paper isn't cheap.

I usually just print mine @ the kiosks …
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel