Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 02:36 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,632,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
1. Everyone with their hand out for a tip. Can't ask the time in some places without a "tip" being expected. People wanting to carry your bags the last 20 feet after you've already lugged them for a hundred yards, for a tip.

2. Aggressive street hawkers and vendors. Can't walk down the sidewalk without being persistently urged to eat there or shop there even after you've repeatedly and politely said no.

3. Flaky hotel wifi. It's not 1998 anymore.

4. Slow check-in at airline/hotel/car reservations. You've already entered all the info online and paid. What could they possibly be doing that requires ten minutes of alternating typing and staring at the screen?
^^THESE^^ Plus credit/debit card # being stolen and last but centrally not least, getting stuck by or between some crazily overweight person/people on the plane(s). I couldn't care less why they are overweight. I only care why they think it is OK for them to be spilling over into my space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 03:03 PM

8,100 posts, read 8,250,517 times
*Having to sit next to an extremely large person who flows into my space on a long air flight

*Being approached by hawkers and beggers

*Paying for an event or adventure (zipline, hike, kayak, etc) and someone in the group is not able (fear, mobility issue, etc.) to participate and we lose time while the leader has to deal with it — the event company needs to screen better or plan to swope in and handle the person while the rest of the group goes on.

*groups of people at resorts or cruise ships who “claim” beach/pool side lounges but don’t use them

*speaker phones and/or phone conversations that are audible to me

*people who allow children to serve themselves at buffets

*Passengers who put jackets, hats, etc in overhead compartments while the airplane is still boarding and others are still needing to stowe carry on luggage.

*People who stand instead of sitting in their seats or cannot stop shifting in their seats during shows/events — this happens alot during presentations and concerts. I always wind up behind these folks!

*oh yes, agree with above — bad wifi is so very annoying.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:11 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,505,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
*speaker phones and/or phone conversations that are audible to me
I do not get this.

Phones can be held up to your ear, why do some people insist on going walkie-talkie or video chat mode in public where they hold it a foot away from their face and so must have the volume up so everyone else has to hear it? Biggest violators seem to be solo travelers and Asians.

We just had this happen last night, we were on roof of a hotel where they have a nice setup with a few tables and a guy serving wine, nice peaceful spot with a few folks up there enjoying the city views. Enter pudgy Chinese man who takes a seat, starts a video chat, and actually props his cell phone against the little plant on the table so he can sit there yammering at full volume from two feet away. I should have thrown that phone off the roof.

Also a shout-out to parents who let their kids play some video game with volume on high.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,083,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Phones can be held up to your ear, why do some people insist on going walkie-talkie or video chat mode in public where they hold it a foot away from their face and so must have the volume up so everyone else has to hear it? Biggest violators seem to be solo travelers and Asians.

I'm always tempted to start talking to the person on the other end. If it's going to be a group conversation, I might as well participate.

Old 03-16-2019, 04:43 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,379,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I do not get this.

Phones can be held up to your ear, why do some people insist on going walkie-talkie or video chat mode in public where they hold it a foot away from their face and so must have the volume up so everyone else has to hear it? .
Video calls?

Old 03-16-2019, 05:49 PM

914 posts, read 635,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm always tempted to start talking to the person on the other end. If it's going to be a group conversation, I might as well participate.
laughing about some of these posts. Oceanaigaia, I love that idea about joining in the conversation. I might try that next time, and I'm sure there will be future opportunities. lol

Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 PM

23,331 posts, read 23,723,239 times
Any reasonable adult would not be upset at a baby crying, the baby is unaware of the potential disruptions he/she is causing. After all, we were all babies once and were in the same shoes. The responsibility in this situation lies with the parents to calm the baby down. The airline cabin is too confined for excessive noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Who is more upset, you, or the baby, whose whole routine has been inexplicably disrupted? I'd expect the adult in the equation to be better emotionally equipped to deal with it.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:20 PM

23,107 posts, read 28,840,475 times
Calls to Prayer in Muslim countries! I can do without them! I was awaken one morning around 6am to a Call to Prayer in Old Delhi, and it was loud, it woke me up!

Old 03-16-2019, 10:53 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,938,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It seems the wait for rental cars has gotten a lot longer than it used to be, not sure why. Thought taking an hour and a half to get a rental was a long wait time two years ago and then it was an hour this year so maybe that's the new 'normal'?
An hour at the car rental counter? I don't think I've ever spent more than 10 minutes from the time we got to the rental place to being in the car. Are you not reserving a car in advance? I could see where it might take some time if you have to wait for an available car, but otherwise, I've never had a problem. The last car we rented, the one we wanted wasn't clean, it was going to be about an hour, but we just opted for a different car instead.

Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,277,572 times
Queues at the airports. I flew from Hanoi to Sydney on Friday/Saturday and I had to stand in eight queues. The worst by far were after arrival in Sydney, when it is hard to think after travelling for about eighteen hours.

Singapore airlines only managing to dim the cabin lights for a hour and three quarters on the overnight from Singapore to Sydney on Friday night. Just took their time, especially with the special meals.

The irregularities and inconsistencies in the screening procedures between countries and even within countries. DH managed to somehow lose a money envelope containing about $1000 in Fairbanks as he got confused dealing with taking off his belt, shoes and so on.

I hate airports so much I think I am pretty much at the end of international travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel