Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,577,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
When I shave it's my business. If I'm on vacation I will shave if I feel like it. During spring/summer trips I may shave once before I leave, then let it grow. I don't want the added stress of shaving daily on vacation. During fall/winter trips I don't shave at all. It's my face, not theirs. I don't care what other people think.
I’m with you on this Hawk, when I go on vacation, it’s almost always just my wife and I, occasionally maybe her brother and his wife too, or perhaps another couple that we’re happy to spend time with.
We always rent pool homes, Florida, Georgia, Texas, or Arizona if in the U.S., or good areas of Spain, Portugal, Greece, or Cyprus.
If I’m sitting around a pool all day, drinking mango juice in the a.m., switching to vodka tonics in the p.m., and we all pitch in fixing salads and steaks in the evening, then I ain’t screwing around scraping stubble off my face, no one’s going to care about that.
Providing I shower regularly, and brush my teeth a couple of times per day, that’s good enough for me.
Of course, if one of us stays sober enough to drive us all to a restaurant in the evening, I’ll shave then, I want to look presentable for the taxi ride back.
I wouldn’t have to think about a group tour, that kind of thing sounds like hell to me, I wouldn’t even consider going on one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 09:24 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,892,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
My cousin got a job with a tour company, and to help her get started in her new career some of my siblings booked a 5-day tour of Tuscany. It wasn't a fancy tour by any means, but it also wasn't bargain basement. We ate at farmhouses along the way, and at restaurants in Florence and in Sienna. It was mostly a pleasant time touring the countryside.

After we got back, we found out another company complained to the tour company because my brother didn't shave every day.

At first we all thought this was hilarious. I mean, it's not like he has a fast growing beard. But then I started to wonder if the other passenger had a point. A little stubble doesn't bother me, but maybe other people really don't care to see it. Now that I think about it, after 5 days other people would probably have noticed it.

Was he being tacky? I hate to ask him to shave when he's on vacation, because that's part of relaxing for him. But I also don't want our family to be "the Ugly Americans."
This is ridiculous. Why would anybody care whether he shaved?

I typically don't shave on vacation, or if it's a longer vacation, I will shave a week into it or so. It never occurred to me that anybody would care, and if they did, too bad.

Old 03-19-2019, 05:15 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,628,704 times
Personally I shave the day I leave on vacation and then the day I am coming back home. I do not waste valuable vacation time on shaving everyday.

I have a friend that will do their laundry the last day on vacation so they don't have to when they get home.
I find that crazy but I am sure i do stuff others find silly while on vacation.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:48 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,879,107 times
I shave every day while on holiday but admittedly without much enthusiasm and I purposely do a poor job leaving irregular patches of beard all over my face

Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM

34,848 posts, read 30,929,707 times
Yes. I've never worn a beard.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:58 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,371,367 times
I shave significantly less often when on vacation. Probably once every third or fourth day. And I wouldn't care what some other tourists think about it.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:19 AM

10,435 posts, read 7,532,697 times
Yes, but would be willing to forgo it a bit just to annoy someone.

I thought a few days' growth was fashionable these days?

Old 03-19-2019, 11:33 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,013,847 times
Yes, it would have driven me crazy.

I would have complained because I don't want a homeless looking tour guide.

Very tacky.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:40 AM

10,998 posts, read 6,542,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Cleric View Post
Yes, but would be willing to forgo it a bit just to annoy someone.

I thought a few days' growth was fashionable these days?
Yeah! Almost every guy seems to have a "few days" going on now. Even newscasters. It's everywhere.
I find the topic hilarious---who cares?

Hey, in retirement no one has to shave, either. DH goes a few days in between, and I like that look. Shaving has got to be unpleasant for you guys.

Now if someone was talking obnoxiously on a tour, that would infuriate me. Don't really do tours, anyway.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:50 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,210,164 times
I generally don't. If I knew that my not shaving would upset someone not in my party, I definitely wouldn't shave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel