Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 11:06 AM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
My experience was about a month ago. In town we have a baseball field that is flooded in winter so kids can go ice skating. It's surrounded by a couple of big hills and trees. My daughter really wanted to go ice skating one Saturday, so I dragged myself out of bed to take her. The place we go is right next to where I work.

At one point, several cars pulled up with license plates from the southwest. A bunch of "visitors" came out with cameras, GoPros, and cell phones. One lady remarked to her husband, "I can't believe we really came this far out of the way, but this place is amazing!." Others were videoing themselves walking around on the ice with the background.

I kind of looked at our surroundings in a different way. I saw the giant pine trees covered in snow, the flakes slowly meandering their way from the sky to the ground, the crackling wood fire next to the ball field maintained by the staff, and just the beauty of it all.
For people who live in year round warm areas seeing know can be a great experience and it brings back great memories for me. I grew up in south Florida so I didn't see snow until I was 17 and that was only because out senior class trip was to Montreal to go skiing. My mom, who was from the Cayman Islands then moved to Miami, didn't see it until her mid 40's. I had a college interview in Maryland and she came with me it was March but apparently there was a late snow storm that year but by the time we came up all that was left was a few piles of soot covered snow and she was so excited to see it and I had to explain it do her that it wasn't real snow. My dad didn't see it until almost 10 years after that. I was living in Maryland and my family came up for a visit and we decided to drive up to the mountains to go snow tubing. While we were getting everyone out of the cars and bundled up, i see my dad desperately trying warm up his hand and I asked him what was wrong. He said that he stuck his hand in some nearby snow and didn't realize that it would be so cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2019, 11:10 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
All this talk of 'squirrels'; I thought the little critters were living just about everywhere on the planet, are they only native to Europe and the US? We have so many of the little buggers that I think they have to be culled (not sure), we also seem to be infested with rabbits, I reckon the British fox population is doing OK right now!
They live in many parts of the world. Not alway native, like in Australia,

They are native in Canada as well.

Old 03-22-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Nope, no squirrels in Australia. Still the favourite thing for my children when we come to America. You'd think after the 10th visit the novelty would wear off, but no.
Maybe not everywhere, but this article states that the Indian Palm Squirrel is an issue in Perth.

https://www.australiangeographic.com...ngest-animals/

Old 03-22-2019, 12:39 PM

1,706 posts, read 2,437,103 times
The most awkward scene is created when Westerns go around slums in India taking photos and videos while the residents are eating or sleeping in plain sight.

Old 03-22-2019, 12:59 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I don't know about squirrel fascination, but the chipmunks in the western states, at all the state parks are a huge hit because they come up and eat out of your hand. It's not just the tourists that like them.

When I was an American with Scottish dogs at an English stone monument, an entire busload of Japanese tourists wanted their photo taken with the Scottish Deerhounds with Stonehenge in the background.

I figure there are photos of my Scottish Deerhounds in 72 Japanese homes (those tour buses carry 72 passengers.)

Old 03-23-2019, 04:23 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Maybe not everywhere, but this article states that the Indian Palm Squirrel is an issue in Perth.

https://www.australiangeographic.com...ngest-animals/
Current estimate is less than 10 of these left in Perth.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...lation/8683784

Squirrels are not a thing in Australia.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,115,713 times
Years ago we had a visitor from an area that had had several years of serious drought, and one of the highlights of her trip was bring able to take a shower with strong water pressure, for as long as she liked, every day.

Old 03-23-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiehoff View Post
Current estimate is less than 10 of these left in Perth.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-...lation/8683784

Squirrels are not a thing in Australia.
LOL. But 10 is more than none

...and like some grade B horror movie, THEY MAY RISE AGAIN !!!

Old 03-24-2019, 03:41 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,523,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
LOL. But 10 is more than none

...and like some grade B horror movie, THEY MAY RISE AGAIN !!!
Maybe, but I don't think so. I believe their demise has been well planed and being well executed. There would be more Australians seeing a squirrel in central park this very second, than have ever seen a squirrel in Perth.

Old 03-24-2019, 08:46 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Please don’t feed the squirrels because they can start to expect it and get agressive. I had one take several lunges at me (both hilarious and somewhat disturbing) when I put my backpack down to change camera lenses last year at Zion NP and he thought I was about to share some trail mix

Boots in the UK is quite close to a Walgreens equivalent; Walmart has a big ownership in Asda. We call US Walmart Neighborhood Markets- Walmartasdas because they use similar exterior color schemes.

I’ve lived in Florida long enough now to take palm trees for granted

My South American friends and family report that their extended family members bring an empty suitcase or two when they visit the states because some specific consumer goods are so expensive or impossible to find back home
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel