Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2019, 02:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times

Advertisements

If you’re talking about an “authorization hold” and not an actual fee, that’s something I’ve definitely seen before. I don’t pay attention to it because it’s not really something extra that you have to pay, it only affects your credit limit during your stay (+ a day or two) and I’m never near my credit limit anyway.

They’re also not collecting interest on it. They’re just blocking out part of your credit limit so that they can process a transaction if they need to.

https://wallethub.com/answers/hotel-...ld-2140663966/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keninaz View Post
I still don't understand why they charge it up front when you have a CC on file with them.
Having a credit card doesn't mean you have enough money to cover any incidentals. The extra hold on your card is to ensure that money is actually available.

Old 03-20-2019, 08:05 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
If you’re talking about an “authorization hold” and not an actual fee, that’s something I’ve definitely seen before. I don’t pay attention to it because it’s not really something extra that you have to pay, it only affects your credit limit during your stay (+ a day or two) and I’m never near my credit limit anyway.

They’re also not collecting interest on it. They’re just blocking out part of your credit limit so that they can process a transaction if they need to.

https://wallethub.com/answers/hotel-...ld-2140663966/
This is exactly what we've experienced. To put it simply, the hold on your card will be lifted shortly after checkout.

Old 03-21-2019, 04:30 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
This is exactly what we've experienced. To put it simply, the hold on your card will be lifted shortly after checkout.
Thank you to the two versed posters that understand the "hold". Process.

People sometimes need refreshed on that practice that's been around at least 25 years...

Old 03-21-2019, 06:14 AM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
I made reservations at a hotel recently and found that I will be charged some $90 per day for the length of my stay. This is for food and other things you must pay for and is only a deposit and refundable.
Frankly I have never run into this before. All that was ever required in the past was a credit card be on file to charge to.
I don't know if this practice is becoming common today or not but it appears that all they are doing in collecting interest on your money while you are there?
That IS a lot and I have never encountered it. However, this request of a money for "incidentals" is an annoying and relatively new phenomenon. It's annoying and disrespectful.

I am not a 1970s rock band. If I trash the room or throw the TV out the window, we'll talk then.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
I am familiar with the hold process, and maybe they misquoted me. but it's my understanding that I will be charged $90 per day when I check in and that anything I don't use will be refunded within 48 hours of departure.
I would prefer to be wrong.

Old 03-21-2019, 08:49 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,693,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

People sometimes need refreshed on that practice that's been around at least 25 years...
I ran into the hold process the first time about 20 years ago.
As stated, as I understand it this is not a hold.
I am trying to get clarification but I am not having much success.
Hilton Corporation is so big they don't respond well to customers questions.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 AM

4,663 posts, read 4,545,565 times
Quote:
I am familiar with the hold process, and maybe they misquoted me. but it's my understanding that I will be charged $90 per day when I check in and that anything I don't use will be refunded within 48 hours of departure.
I think there may have been some miscommunication. We were just there in December, and I don’t recall any extra charges beyond the resort fee, just the usual hold.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:09 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post

The Holiday Inn Express chains automatically put a $10 hold on for incidentals, and if you don't use it, it's not charged to your card. Usually I don't get charged the $10. Once it was freezing out and I stayed in and got a frozen Hot Pockets thing from the products in the hotel lobby and charged it to my room.

I imagine that given the difference between a HIE and this Hawaiian property in available food and amenities, a $90 incidentals hold probably isn't out of line.

Old 03-21-2019, 12:37 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Hmm...

I know if you use a debit card they charge the hold, and I wonder if its the notation that "If you're using a debit card..." verbiage one typically sees at a front desk?

I also wonder if there have been problems with people racking up wild bills given that its a resort and not having the funds available to cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel