Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2019, 09:58 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,934,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
What about if you go to a restaurant, where you order at the counter. La Madeleine, for example.

You arrive early for lunch, and the restaurant is filling up, and you know 8 of your friends are on the way and will be there within 5 minutes.

You pull two tables together, and assemble chairs, and put your jacket across a chair.

At that restaurant, there is clearly an established queue with numbered orders. It's very obvious who arrived, and when.

What do you think of someone who plops them self down with their salad to eat at your table?

Honestly, I'd like to know. Because that's exactly what you're saying should happen on a plane. People who get there early shouldn't be allowed to say these two chairs are occupied, sorry.
Thankfully most restaurants I go to specifically state on signs throughout the restaurant "No Saving Tables."

If I have already ordered and have my food, yes I would be sitting at one of the 2 tables that are being saved for people who aren't even at the restaurant yet.

First come first serve.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 PM

15,546 posts, read 11,934,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And they were still going to get the seat they paid for - which is to say A seat, not a SPECIFIC seat.
Yes, "a seat", not 3 seats. A seat.

Quote:
It's just a flight, people. Southwest Flights tend to be under 4 hours.
And you can survive the 4 hours sitting next to a stranger instead of your significant other. Because as you say, " It's just a flight." You will see your family once the plane gets to your destination, or you can even stop and chat on your way to the restroom if you really can't go 4 hours without them.

Old 03-22-2019, 10:14 PM

16,368 posts, read 30,098,489 times
Quote:
So this brings up another point.

My husband and I fly Southwest, and we don't pay the upgrade for priority seating, but we do sign in 24 hours ahead to try to get the best seats we can get.

He would always say "I hope we get an aisle seat". Meaning, he hopes HE can get an aisle seat. Which damns me to the middle seat.

When we fly Southwest, we always select two aisle seats that are across from each other (i.e., 17C and 17D). That way, neither of us has a center seat. We used to do the aisle and window seat ... until the flight with the college women's volleyball team ...

Old 03-23-2019, 01:21 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,053,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
On a recent trip, my family of three took Southwest on a 4 hour flight across the country. I love SW and always try to use them when possible.

This last trip, I didn't get Early Bird seating, and we ended up in the C boarding group for a sold-out flight.

When we got to the airport, I upgraded myself to A-12 for $40, and reserved a row for the family, spreading my stuff around to make it clear. As seats filled up, people began asking if the seats were free. When my wife got there, I joked that I had to fight to defend our seats, and she scolded me for being "insensitive" and "selfish". The people in the row behind us overheard, and apparently gave me a disapproving look.

I don't see how it's selfish to save seats when you're traveling with a child. I don't want us split up, my kid maybe forced to sit with strangers. But maybe there is some unwritten etiquette that you shouldn't save seats for your loved ones on airlines with unassigned seating. Thoughts? Opinions?
That’s a strange and weird gesture by the wife.
You would think she would be Thankful but then again, you only paid for ONE upgraded seat, and not for the entire family - so she was technically correct.

Ideally, she should’ve not let you go with this cheesy plan, and would’ve stoped you right then OR you should’ve not made this plan if you knew your wife won’t approve it.

Not sure why would she make the fuss if she knew all along that “paying for one seat and occupying the rest for the entire family” was the plan?

But yeah, if you don’t want to be called a selfish cheapster then grow a pair and next time upgrade the seats for the entire family.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:01 AM

16,351 posts, read 12,332,561 times
Quote:
What about if you go to a restaurant, where you order at the counter. La Madeleine, for example.

You arrive early for lunch, and the restaurant is filling up, and you know 8 of your friends are on the way and will be there within 5 minutes.

You pull two tables together, and assemble chairs, and put your jacket across a chair.

At that restaurant, there is clearly an established queue with numbered orders. It's very obvious who arrived, and when.

What do you think of someone who plops them self down with their salad to eat at your table?

Honestly, I'd like to know. Because that's exactly what you're saying should happen on a plane. People who get there early shouldn't be allowed to say these two chairs are occupied, sorry.
If all the other tables are full and there’s nowhere for me to sit because one person is sitting alone at an 8-top? RUDE.

Old 03-23-2019, 06:43 AM

4,799 posts, read 5,981,993 times
I have been flying for 50 plus years and nothing amazes me anymore. Doing a quick search you will find several threads on this already in play on City Data!

For some we have become a society of privilege. It is pretty cut and dry, you pay for early boarding you are buying the opportunity to sit together or the coveted exit row or up near the front of the cabin. For those of us that hit the mouse click at exactly 24 hours before flight time we wait in anticipation to see if we hit the jackpot and get in the A Group.

Southwest has no policy on saving seats they are hoping and praying that we behave and they don't have to referee which if they did the bad press from a customer recording for You Tube would surely bite them in the butt.........yes that is the new way to records life's problems, record on You Tube and appear on Good Morning America defending your right to act like a fool.

If you think saving seats is your right then go ahead, but again people pay extra or play by the rules so they are afforded the opportunity to be able to select any open seat they want. If people start saving seats even if in small numbers it throws out the system Southwest has in place out of whack.

Family boarding with small children happens after the A Group and that gives you the opportunity to sit together. From what I have witnessed and I myself have done is passengers generally have compassion and will move to allow family's and elderly couples to sit together.

Bottom line if saving a seat is that important to you, purchase the early seating option. That is what it is there for.

I know Delta and a few others give you your seat assignment at the ticket counter if you bought an economy seat so if enough people try to game the system I see a future where first purchased leads to first seated on Southwest.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:31 AM

For those in favor of seat-saving, what if someone upgraded and then got a seat in the exit row and saved the two adjacent? Are you still okay with that?

Old 03-23-2019, 07:47 AM

5,855 posts, read 11,856,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I have been flying for 50 plus years and nothing amazes me anymore. Doing a quick search you will find several threads on this already in play on City Data!

For some we have become a society of privilege. It is pretty cut and dry, you pay for early boarding you are buying the opportunity to sit together or the coveted exit row or up near the front of the cabin. For those of us that hit the mouse click at exactly 24 hours before flight time we wait in anticipation to see if we hit the jackpot and get in the A Group.

Southwest has no policy on saving seats they are hoping and praying that we behave and they don't have to referee which if they did the bad press from a customer recording for You Tube would surely bite them in the butt.........yes that is the new way to records life's problems, record on You Tube and appear on Good Morning America defending your right to act like a fool.

If you think saving seats is your right then go ahead, but again people pay extra or play by the rules so they are afforded the opportunity to be able to select any open seat they want. If people start saving seats even if in small numbers it throws out the system Southwest has in place out of whack.

Family boarding with small children happens after the A Group and that gives you the opportunity to sit together. From what I have witnessed and I myself have done is passengers generally have compassion and will move to allow family's and elderly couples to sit together.

Bottom line if saving a seat is that important to you, purchase the early seating option. That is what it is there for.

I know Delta and a few others give you your seat assignment at the ticket counter if you bought an economy seat so if enough people try to game the system I see a future where first purchased leads to first seated on Southwest.
That's the thing. You pay for the privilege of getting to board early - why should others who don't pay get to reap that benefit?

Restaurants are a whole other thing. You don't pay extra to get seated. Either the restaurant has a policy to let you save a table (most do) or it's a very popular place, they may make you wait until your party is complete before seating you.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,054,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
In none of those situations is there an established queue with numbered assignments.
If you go to a first run movie, there may not be assigned numbers, but there certainly is an established queue with people lined up to enter the theater and select their seats in a particular order based on their place in line. And if someone else gets the center seats in the first row of the balcony or whatever another person's specific preference is, the first people still get to keep those seats, even if they've tossed a jacket onto one of them because someone else in their group was waiting in line to buy the popcorn.

For whatever reason, some people seem to think that wanting something automatically entitles you to get it, even if someone else is already using it. I swear some people seem to wish they could go the next step and get to tell the first person to move not just from a saved seat, but even from an occupied seat, because hey, the second person wanted that seat so why shouldn't they get what they want?

Old 03-23-2019, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
If you go to a first run movie, there may not be assigned numbers, but there certainly is an established queue with people lined up to enter the theater and select their seats in a particular order based on their place in line. And if someone else gets the center seats in the first row of the balcony or whatever another person's specific preference is, the first people still get to keep those seats, even if they've tossed a jacket onto one of them because someone else in their group was waiting in line to buy the popcorn.
I went to a preview night of "A Star is Born" a couple days before it opened. Tickets couldn't be purchased, only awarded by the promotional company working with the studio. They knew it was going to be a full house. As we stood in line waiting to go in, employees walked back and forth announcing the rules, one of which was "your entire party must enter together or you won't be seated together. There will be no seat saving." IMO, that's the way it should be when a show is expected to be at capacity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel