Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:16 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,248,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I've had amazing food almost everywhere. Top to bottom, if I had to pick one place to go for just food, it would be Singapore. Hands down. No contest.
I used to work a lot in Singapore some years ago. The engineers were Indian and Chinese and didn’t socialize with each other. I’d alternate going out to dinner with the two groups. I remember going to an open air Chinese seafood food court where they ordered a half dozen dishes for the table. Part way through the dinner, the waiter brings out a large platter with a stainless cover and opens it in front of me with a flourish. There were probably 100 live prawns jumping around on the platter. I guess my eyes got really big. Everybody laughed and they explained that this was to show that the prawns were fresh.

The Indian I had in Singapore was better than London which is my normal benchmark for good Indian.

Singapore chili crab is a favorite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 07:53 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,083,908 times
Mine has to be Cuban food like ropa vega or how ever it is spelled and picadia and Cuban sandwiches . Love me some Cuban food but you can only find decent Cuban food in florida such as Tampa , Miami and Orlando . once you cross the florida /Georgia line you can forget Cuban food .Btw a Cuban sandwich has roast pork on it if no roast pork no authentic Cuban .

Old 03-26-2019, 08:03 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,187 times
A few super delicious memories from a big fan of fresh seafood:

-Grilled langoustines in Iceland
-Seafood stew in Portugal
-Street food in Istanbul (chicken shawarma)
-Breaded sea scallops in Salem, MA
-Lobster roll in Ogunquit, ME

Old 03-26-2019, 08:49 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Wild King Salmon, not coho. That’s what they told me in Canada. The whole reason I went up there is for King Salmon.
King = Chinook = Tyee They're all the same fish. They're only caught wild, as they don't adapt to farming. The only farmed salmon are atlantic, and yes, they farm atlantic salmon on the west coast. All others are wild caught.

Chum and Pink are usually for pet food, as is some sockeye, which is also canned. Coho generally has the most restrictions, and isn't usually caught in mass commercial quantities.

I agree with StealthRabbit on steelhead. Luckily my local fishmonger here in Texas has a thing for steelhead too, and I can get it pretty much whenever I want.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:16 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,077,804 times
Foie Gras

French Alps

Old 03-26-2019, 09:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
A few super delicious memories from a big fan of fresh seafood:

-Grilled langoustines in Iceland
-Seafood stew in Portugal
-Street food in Istanbul (chicken shawarma)
-Breaded sea scallops in Salem, MA
-Lobster roll in Ogunquit, ME
oh yes don't forget the lobster rolls: I think anyplace in New England probably

Old 03-26-2019, 10:54 AM

2,130 posts, read 1,791,532 times
Internationally, Thailand never fails to provide me with amazing meals. I also have had amazing food in Italy, Split Croatia, Brussels, and Morocco. Domestically some of my favorite meals have been in Chicago, Las Vegas, and New Orleans.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:01 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,861,550 times
Everything I ate in Vietnam was interesting and most of it was also delicious, lol. The combination of regional Asian flavors with French bakery makes for some really unique and tasty dishes.

I swear I still have a sense memory of the cao lau noodles from Hoi An. So good.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
oh yes don't forget the lobster rolls: I think anyplace in New England probably
I pretty much never order lobster roll in a restaurant. There is only one true lobster roll. A New England-style hot dog bun grilled in butter. The lobster meat moistened with a bit of Hellman’s and some fresh squeezed lemon juice to adjust the acid balance. In restaurants, they’ll commit crimes against nature. Celery. Onion. A hard roll. The horror of frozen lobster meat. Iceberg lettuce. Rock hard nitrogen ripened factory tomatoes.

I guess I’m ok with a side of melted butter and a lemon slice instead of mayo but I prefer my butter absorbed into the grilled bun in angeoplasty-inducing quantities.

Old 03-26-2019, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Of course they do. It's better known as Chinook, and it's widely available. It's actually not the best tasting, JMHO. I'd rather have a nice coho than a big Chinook.

https://www.fisheries.noaa.gov/species/chinook-salmon
In Vancouver, it’s usually called Spring. Same fish as King or Chinook. It’s the largest salmon species. It’s in season now. Thus “spring salmon”. When it’s off season, the commercial fishermen aren’t supposed to keep it. It’s kind of like lobster on the east coast where Canada shuts them down in the summer but Maine is happily catching lobster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel