Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 10:42 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I don't disagree with you, and we travelled a lot with our kids almost from birth.

But a couple key details:

"We" doesn't apply in this case. It's only mom + 1 toddler. IMHO, that's a somewhat different situation.

Let's say it's 10 days out, 10 days back, that's 20 days of what you described for a 1-week visit.

This trip is supposedly for a wedding, a setting that also can present issues for a 2yo and a solo parent.
I can bet you that the bride and groom would be less than thrilled with a two year old at their wedding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 10:51 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,803,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Again, WE. TWO adults.
Which is why I recommended in an earlier post that she find a friend to travel with.

However, I have made these trips by myself with just a kid and then two or three, as my husband was not always even in country.

Whether two adults are in the car or not, makes no difference to having the kid strapped in.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
I can bet you that the bride and groom would be less than thrilled with a two year old at their wedding.
And I can bet you that some brides and grooms love having their young relatives at their weddings.

I can think of three right off the bat.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:55 AM

Good Lord, what is with all the insults and negative nonsense?

If you were unable to figure out how to travel with your children or your relatives did not appreciate you showing up with your children at their weddings, then so be it. Some children are just better suited to taking out in public than others. It happens.

But many of us traveled all over, some even by ourselves, with our young children. We paid attention to our kids and were welcome wherever we went.

Feel sorry for those who aren't.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:19 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Which is why I recommended in an earlier post that she find a friend to travel with.

However, I have made these trips by myself with just a kid and then two or three, as my husband was not always even in country.

Whether two adults are in the car or not, makes no difference to having the kid strapped in.
Maybe it's just me, and this is nothing on you, but I think that's a terrible idea. It's sometimes hard enough to do do a road trip with one's spouse, let alone a friend! Different ideas on where/when to eat, sleep, how to drive, how long to drive, and everything else.

Old 03-30-2019, 11:58 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,384,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane.
What procedures? The 10-15 minutes getting through Security Checkpoint??!!

Anyways--two is a tough age to sit still for hours. Even on an airplane, I don't know how people do it with a two year old!

Good luck, anything is possible. I would bring some snacks, but I think buying them on the way would be more fun for a toddler.

Find the toys he loves now and put them away for the trip. It will be like having an old favorite friend appear.

We did 8-9 hour car trips when our kids were that age. It is doable. Just be willing to make stops.

Old 03-30-2019, 01:39 PM

4,005 posts, read 2,081,166 times
Don't go. I would just make my apologies and wait for my child to be 6 or so before attempting such a long trip.

You can certainly imagine how weary and out of sorts you are going to be at the end of this drive. Now, transfer that to a 2 year old, then multiply it for yourself.

Your child will be utterly miserable. You are probably going to be miserable too, but you are an adult and completely understand what is going on and why you are torturing yourself. Your child will probably not be so understanding.

Also, you say he has done well on a two hour car trip. You could very well make sure he screams at the site of a vehicle once this trip is over.

You do like your child, right?

If you absolutely HAVE to go to this event, consider leaving the child at home. Keep the kid first and foremost in your mind. Your presence is not going to make or break anyone's wedding, unless its your own.

Old 03-30-2019, 02:36 PM

15,526 posts, read 10,496,731 times
If it were me, I'd take the ferry to Seattle and start driving from there. Personally, I'd just prefer to shave off a few road miles. OP, I drove numerous cross country road trips by myself with toddlers. We stopped a lot, we also had snacks, toys, games, music and movies. They are grown now, but they remember those trips fondly. Keep your AAA current, know how to change a flat and keep the cell phone charged. The train is also a great idea, we took it once. I had fun, but after awhile the kids got a wee bit bored. Anyway, good luck. Let us know how it all works out.

Old 03-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 5 days ago)

35,620 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
What procedures? The 10-15 minutes getting through Security Checkpoint??!!

Anyways--two is a tough age to sit still for hours. Even on an airplane, I don't know how people do it with a two year old!

Good luck, anything is possible. I would bring some snacks, but I think buying them on the way would be more fun for a toddler.

Find the toys he loves now and put them away for the trip. It will be like having an old favorite friend appear.

We did 8-9 hour car trips when our kids were that age. It is doable. Just be willing to make stops.
We did 8-9 hour car trips when my kids were little too - but not for 10 DAYS IN A ROW, then wait a week, and do it all again.

Old 03-30-2019, 04:34 PM

356 posts, read 175,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Good Lord, what is with all the insults and negative nonsense?

If you were unable to figure out how to travel with your children or your relatives did not appreciate you showing up with your children at their weddings, then so be it. Some children are just better suited to taking out in public than others. It happens.

But many of us traveled all over, some even by ourselves, with our young children. We paid attention to our kids and were welcome wherever we went.

Feel sorry for those who aren't.
We live 3000 miles from family and have made 2 or so annual visits since the kids were babies.

One thing we discovered when the kids were under, say, 4yo:

Our families loved our kids, and helped out with them when they could, but we still had mostly the same routine as when we were home. Diapers, feedings, packing, unpacking, baths, etc.
If I wanted to do something myself or with my friends/family, my wife had to do it all. And vice versa. OK, maybe 90% of the time. Family picked up the other 10%. We didn't treat them like free childcare.
And sure, we did stuff all together as a family too, not trying to minimize that.
So thinking about a solo mom with one kid...I have to assume that she won't exactly have a truly realizing, recharging week before heading back on the 10-day leg home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel