Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 03:48 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,840,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Lest you think I have disappeared, I have purposefully not engaged in discussing why we won't fly because it is irrelevant to the question at hand. It's also quite apparent that my concerns (all of which center on the safety and well-being of my child, incidentally) would be dismissed or outright mocked if I shared them. I have been through the border crossing and know what to expect. Suffice it to say that I find that the risk involved in the latter to be acceptable while the former is not.

I have a well-maintained and reliable vehicle with fewer than 30k miles on it, and I have AAA plus. I don't fall for overblown sensationalism and I'm not inclined to make decisions based on emotional appeals to fear, so no, axe murderers at a rest stop are not particularly going to factor in my decision any more than worrying about a landslide sweeping us off the road in the Rockies.

Once again I thank those of you who have offered helpful advice and raised concerns respectfully. You have given me many things to consider and I appreciate it.
Certainly you understand that when you open a topic on a forum here it becomes a general source of discussion not specifically limited to how you, personally, will be affected as others may benefit from the knowledge and opinions shared within.

That means that weighing the inconvenience of the TSA process is open to discussion as is the inconvenience of leaving and entering both countries twice that are involved in the route. Conceding that Canada may have good reason, even the right, to screen those entering while having a philosophical problem with the USA doing the same thing is inconsistent, at best and futile when considering that the US will still impose on a traveler whether through the TSA or INS. I find nothing here that infringes on one's personal human or constitutionally guaranteed rights and find it impossible to see the difference between the two modes of travel but may be missing something.

Maybe this is a topic for great debates or philosophy but I'm not sure if anyone could come up with a valid argument for drawing such a fine line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 06:15 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
For those of us who dont agree with having a two year old strapped in a car seat for the best part of a month it would be interesting if you got back to us after your trip to tell us of the pros and cons of such a trip. best of luck eh .
Thanks.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:22 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
I'm beginning to think that it's not the hassle of going through YES that is causing the philosophical dilemma.

I'm thinking it's the X-Ray machines at security. Everyone knows how dangerous they are. It's right up there with immunizations.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:29 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
OP, you mentioned safety... you understand that you and your son are exponentially safer taking two 9-hour flights than you are taking 16 days to drive across two countries, yes?

Also, I think your intentions are good when you say that if (LOL) your toddler doesn't like being strapped in a carseat 10 hours per day, you'll turn back... what if you come to this revelation three days into your drive? You're going to be driving back with a screaming kid for three days or you're going to continue on for 4-5 days listening to him screaming and then face a fun-filled 8-day trip back home a week later.

I can virtually guarantee you that this trip will be horrendous for both of you.

Signed,

Mom of two who has done many road trips with kids of all ages

Old 03-26-2019, 08:59 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
I've made numerous trips up and down the Al Can with babies, toddlers, and young children. Not only can it be done, it can be a grand adventure filled with great memories.

Here's my recommendations:

Stop at Laird Hot Springs in British Columbia. Two huge rock-lined pools of hot water in the midst of forest primeval -- what's not to love?

Get a hardware cloth/screen mesh installed in front of your radiator. We got a rock through our radiator one trip. Lot of trouble getting it fixed.

Bring a friend along. Better yet, a friend with a five year old who enjoys entertaining your two year old. But even without a five year old, a friend can trade off driving while you sit in the back seat and play with your buckled-in child.

Allow plenty of time. Stop a lot and let the kid(s) run around and play.

Bring music to sing along with and lots of snacks and water.

If you decide you want to camp, be sure the tent is easy to set up. I recommend camping. So much fun to snuggle in those sleeping bags with your babes. Lots of camping areas and they usually always have space in the tent camping area.

Take lots of photos and FaceTime with your husband. Maybe next time he can make the trip with you.

Good luck.

Wish I was traveling with you.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:05 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
The idea that a two year old will not be able to stay in a car seat for long stretches is nonsense. Our kids were as active as the next ones, one more so. Dad was a pilot and insisted on everyone being buckled in and that was that.

Now there may be two year olds who are just unable to do that, and our kids certainly were not crazy about it.

But we were matter of fact about it, made sure they had plenty of time to run off energy, and that was that.

OP knows her child best though.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:15 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
It's gonna be a LONG drive:

Quote:
It is recommended by advocates such as the American Academy of Pediatrics that baby should not be in a car seat or lie in a fixed position for longer than 2 hours at a time. This is due to continued development of their motor system, as well as their arm, back, & neck muscles. Periodically making moderately long car trips is not a problem as long as you stop once every 2 hours to give your little one a break from the journey/car seat.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:19 AM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
The idea that a two year old will not be able to stay in a car seat for long stretches is nonsense. Our kids were as active as the next ones, one more so. Dad was a pilot and insisted on everyone being buckled in and that was that.

Now there may be two year olds who are just unable to do that, and our kids certainly were not crazy about it.

But we were matter of fact about it, made sure they had plenty of time to run off energy, and that was that.

I agree in general, but also note it appears you're talking about trips with 2 parents and more than one kid. Big difference.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:47 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

I know that if I sit for 10 hours straight, I'm extremely stiff and sore. My children are and have always been the same. To do that for eight days in a row, take a week off, then do it again for eight days in a row borders on cruel. Active young children should not be sitting for 56 waking hours in a week. Would you put your child in a daycare center that kept him strapped in a high chair or stroller for 10 hours per day with one adult sitting several feet away who sat with her back to him and could not make eye contact or pick up dropped items or anything else? Even if he could get out a few times to have his diaper changed, eat, and run around for 20 minutes? I'm thinking (hoping) that it wouldn't be an option even for two weeks (or one day).

Old 03-26-2019, 11:31 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Someone mentioned this above, the importance of making the trip at all. Personally, I have a hard time fathoming why one would travel across an ocean or a continent to sit for an hour in attendance at a wedding, funeral, graduation, etc. But then I drove to Panama for a more trivial reason than that. My motivation would have to be the road trip itself. I hope yours is.
Building on this, I specifically question the necessity of bringing the 2 year old.

Sure, the cross continent drive sounds exciting to you, OP, but it's really something that you have no idea how your 2 year old will react to. Is it really worth all of the hassle and stress of bringing the 2 year old with you? Don't forget to factor in that without bringing him, you can probably cut several days off of the trip and save some money with fewer rest stops and hotels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel