Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaAma View Post
Thanks! It is not fear of flying, but unwillingness to go through the procedures currently required to get on an airplane.
Does Canada subject you to the same procedures that you're concerned about? Could you drive to western Canada, fly domestically across to eastern Canada, rent a car, and then drive to Gettysburg?

Also, I hope you've sent plenty of letters and made plenty of phone calls to express your concerns to those in power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 11:35 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Building on this, I specifically question the necessity of bringing the 2 year old.

Sure, the cross continent drive sounds exciting to you, OP, but it's really something that you have no idea how your 2 year old will react to. Is it really worth all of the hassle and stress of bringing the 2 year old with you? Don't forget to factor in that without bringing him, you can probably cut several days off of the trip and save some money with fewer rest stops and hotels.
And no matter how well behaved the child, I can't see it is their best interest. I ran some rough numbers, and making a child sit that long, hours and days...... I wouldn't.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-26-2019, 11:42 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Think of the baby. How would you like to spend all that time strapped in a car seat? Very selfish.
Your airport phobia sounds just plain nutty, unless you’re a criminal or illegal.

Old 03-26-2019, 12:07 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Think of the baby. How would you like to spend all that time strapped in a car seat? Very selfish.
Your airport phobia sounds just plain nutty, unless you’re a criminal or illegal.
Some of those conditions have occurred to me as well. Even if they flew within Canada, they'd still have to cross the border somewhere. Is that going to be a problem, OP?

Old 03-26-2019, 01:11 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Maybe a trial run is in order, hop in the car with baby,drive ten hours then pull into truck stop,and after sleeping in the car drive home. Now imagine doing that every day for 7-10 days one way then turning around and heading home.

Old 03-26-2019, 01:54 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
It is obvious to me that the OP is using this thread like a drunk uses a light pole - more for support than illumination.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:44 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
It is obvious to me that the OP is using this thread like a drunk uses a light pole - more for support than illumination.

She knows exactly what the responsible decision is. Doesn't HER subject line say it all?

Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
She knows exactly what the responsible decision is. Doesn't HER subject line say it all?
Im sure the OP has already spoken to people close to her about her "philosophical concern" with the TSA, and they all told her she was wrong, but shes not hearing it. Thats why she wont bring it up here, because she knows what everyone will tell her. There is no logical philosophy that would make two or four passes through TSA/customs worse than driving with a baby for 8000 miles. There is nothing in customs that is that objectionable. Not the pat downs, or the body screen, or taking off shoes.

I just went through JFK (The worst TSA airport) to Dominican Republic last week, and going through customs has gotten alot easier since I last left the country in 2014. No one was taking off their shoes!

The OP cant have a criminal record because border customs would work that as well.
Body screens arent bad once in a while, if youre travelling internationally once a week, that might be dangerous. So that cant be her hangup, unless she is so hung up that shes worried about a schmo at the security cam seeing her naked for 2 seconds. I dont even know if they do that anymore.

Not to mention you have to get a 2 year old out of his seat every 2 hours. Thats great if you want to plan all those stops, thats alot of work.

BTW OP get Mobile Passport. No one is using it yet and it gets you through customs in the US in 5 minutes.

Take the plane.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:05 PM

2,258 posts, read 1,136,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Probably because all her family told her not to, and that she was crazy. Always with the validation!

Plus she didnt get any responses last time she posted a thread just like this earlier in the month.

Old 03-26-2019, 10:26 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,524,829 times
Here's the deal a 2 year old can not call for help. It is a dumb ass idea.
I live in Montana, have raised children, & drive many miles every year.
You should leave the 2 year old with child care in Alaska, if you are dead set on driving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel