Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 02:52 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Do you like solo traveling or do you not like it?
Yes, I like it. I do it frequently. I find it difficult to travel with someone else now. It gives me the freedom to do what I want, whenever I want. Or do nothing at all and just sit and people watch. I also find I have more conversations with the locals when I travel solo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2019, 03:44 PM

312 posts, read 277,474 times
Get the best room you can afford in the best hotel you can afford. Have a nice home away from home. You'll probably spend more time there whilst going solo, especially at night. I also made sure to have a good restaurant reservation every night, usually ensuring some pleasant chat and hospitality. Some people don't like eating solo in nice places, but there's an art to it.

I also tended to visit out of the way museums during the day. In Europe, you'd be amazed at some of them. No one to complain if it doesn't work out. Also, I tended to use public transportation instead of cabs/drivers. And take long walks to get to places, why not.

Traveled all over Europe on my own (due to being over there for work), that's what comes to mind. Have fun!

Last edited by nazz; 03-26-2019 at 04:06 PM..

Old 03-26-2019, 04:16 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,903,282 times
"The Winners" - Rudyard Kipling
What the moral? Who rides may read.When the night is thick and the tracks are blindA friend at a pinch is a friend, indeed,But a fool to wait for the laggard behind.Down to Gehenna or up to the Throne,He travels the fastest who travels alone.White hands cling to the tightened rein,Slipping the spur from the booted heel,Tenderest voices cry " Turn again!"Red lips tarnish the scabbarded steel,High hopes faint on a warm hearth-stone--He travels the fastest who travels alone.One may fall but he falls by himself--Falls by himself with himself to blame.One may attain and to him is pelf--Loot of the city in Gold or Fame.Plunder of earth shall be all his ownWho travels the fastest and travels alone.Wherefore the more ye be helpen and stayed,Stayed by a friend in the hour of toil,Sing the heretical song I have made--His be the labour and yours be the spoil.Win by his aid and the aid disown--He travels the fastest who travels alone!

Old 03-26-2019, 07:45 PM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,244,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I will be solo traveling in November for the first time ever!

Anyone have any tips? I am married but my husband will not have the time off work to go with me. I am a female in my late 30's.

Do you like solo traveling or do you not like it?

I love solo travel. I was single for a long time so no strings to worry about. Now, even though I am in a relationship I still carve out a few solo trips each year.

Traveling solo is all about the experience.....bask in the experience. Then share it the second time with your significant other.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,647,873 times
Been a solo traveler most of my life.

I've always preferred to be a loner anyhow, but being solo was reaffirmed during my time in the Navy when we had port of calls. It was so annoying being with a group of people and everyone wants to do something different, so other guys would have to wait while you did your thing and whatnot. Rather would just do what I wanted to do, at my own pace. Plus guys like to drink alcohol, a lot of it, and I don't drink.

Old 03-26-2019, 09:38 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I like to travel solo, because I don't like to have to worry about anyone else having fun or whatever. But, I do like to travel with an organized group - but with my own room.

In this type of situation, I have a nice time with fellow travelers, but have the convenience of my own private cave.

Hope you have fun!

Old 03-27-2019, 05:23 AM

7,991 posts, read 5,386,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
Get the best room you can afford in the best hotel you can afford.
I will add to that--get a room that is downtown or central to where you want to be. It is lovely walking out the door and being right there first thing in the morning. Boutique hotels are wonderful along with some airbnb's.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:41 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,209,487 times
Here's the basic rule: If you don't have anyone you can or want to travel with, go alone. Absolutely no reason not to. Plan the trip accordingly.

Old 03-28-2019, 02:39 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times
Agreed with cebuan, if you like it do it, nothing wrong with it and there is no right/wrong answer on whether it's a better way to travel.

We've got an inside joke about solo travelers at restaurants, they tend to absorbed in their cell phones while dining. It's like having a companion who can't disagree with you about where to go and what to do.

Old 03-28-2019, 08:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It's like having a companion who can't disagree with you about where to go and what to do.
Bingo. And they aren't snoring all night long in a shared room.

It's really rare when our idea of a perfect traveling companion ever actually manifests in real life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel