Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 02:44 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times

Advertisements

Have fun! I have been doing that for ten years or so. I like it, driving beautiful areas alone listening to music or podcasts is very restorative. I even go into a meditative state on long stretches, impossible with a yapping companion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2019, 08:50 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
There is another very important factor that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet: Are YOU a good travel companion?

Old 04-05-2019, 10:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I hate all-inclusives. What is the point of traveling to a faraway land if you never leave the premises to actually see the place? I want to engage with locals, not other tourists likely from America.
I often travel alone, also not in favor of hostels. Before you leave, download WhatsApp. I look for tasting menu and Michelin star restaurants for brunch and dinner every couple of days. The meals are relaxed with lots of personal attention, the atmosphere is good.

I have a lot of rules for solo travel, as I started traveling alone in Europe at age 14. No alcohol, drugs, bars, or evening parties. It might seem like less fun, but it's better to enjoy the early morning. I'm always in my room before dark, unless I get lost. That has happened a few times. I walk the city, many miles every day, to a destination like a museum, a viewpoint, some sort of highlight. I spontaneously and randomly choose a street to look at shops, stop for coffee, explore, people watch. This is how I get lost. Dress local.

I prepare ahead in the sense that on my first day I scout out a corner store and stock up on bread, cheese, water. I also buy a local SIM card. They're about 20 euros (something like that). Every city with a university will have a shop with local wifi SIM cards. In Belgium, wifi is freely available for the entire country with the SIM card.

You may not be engaging with locals in deep conversation (you can find that on the internet) but you will be experiencing life in that city.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:24 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Just got back from my annual winter vacation in Mexico. DH stayed one week but most of the time I go alone.

I don't care to stay in All-Inclusives. What you gain in safety you lose in cultural connection and there is a marked shortage of other women traveling single to engage in conversation.

I try to stay somewhere close to a town's hub where there will be a wide variety of people coming and going. Near a city park is a good spot.
When I travel with someone, I typically do my own thing for the day and meet for dinner. When time is valuable and you have different interests, better to share stories of the day than compromise.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:25 PM

5 posts, read 2,276 times
I've never traveled alone in a foreign country, but I do enjoy traveling alone in states that are in my region of the US - like New Mexico, Arizona, Colorado, etc. I've even camped alone, and it was a blast!

Old 04-07-2019, 03:43 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
I must admit I enjoy scatter-shot company, but my last 30 countries have all involved going to airports alone. I look forward to meeting people once I'm on the ground, and get a little lonely without it, even though by nature I'm in the introverted side. I'm more likely to think "I hope they come and talk to me", than "I hope they don't", but I don't often break the ice. Mostly out of respect for their privacy if they are not singles.

Old 04-07-2019, 01:13 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Here's the basic rule: If you don't have anyone you can or want to travel with, go alone. Absolutely no reason not to. Plan the trip accordingly.
Any travel I do is basically alone. Also, camping. None of my friends like to camp so I just do it alone. If I waited around for a friend to go on a vacation with me, it would never happen.

Old 04-07-2019, 06:27 PM

4,596 posts, read 2,988,358 times
If you hike by yourself (as I generally do), you've got a better chance of seeing animals...
if they hear a group approaching, they're apt to be gone before you can see them.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:55 PM

372 posts, read 219,808 times
Where are you going? Destination makes a huge difference to anyone travelling alone, especially women, even in parts of Europe ,such as Greece..

Alone? Only once. I was 53 at the time.

To UK from Australia, with a stop over in Kuala Lumpur.

In England ,stayed with friends in Cambridge. Pretty straight forward, no dramas.

Spent a few weeks backpacking around Southern Ireland and Scotland. Stayed mostly at official Youth Hostels. They are relatively cheap, clean, and safe. You may also book ahead.

Youth Hostels are a lot more fun than B&B's, but of course you mostly have to cook your own food. (some offer breakfast) I rarely bothered cooking, went a pub for a meal.. I met a great mixture of people from all over the world. You will find Aussies everywhere you go. (well I did, everywhere in the world I've travelled)

I stayed in private hostels twice, once in Galway, once in Dublin. They were not clean,(wasn't game to use the shower)and the sheets were grimy and smelled. Unlike Youth Hostels, rooms were mixed. I recommend paying the extra to stay at a pub or B&B instead of a private hostel if possible

Stayed at Tourist board accredited B&B's twice. (they had a sign) Once in Portree, Isle Of Skye, Once at Drummnadrochit, on Loch Ness. Not especially cheap, but you get your own room, clean bathroom and a decent breakfast.

Old 04-08-2019, 07:13 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
If you hike by yourself (as I generally do), you've got a better chance of seeing animals...
if they hear a group approaching, they're apt to be gone before you can see them.
Hmmm I'm not so sure on this. I hike with my wife and can't count the number of times one of us has spotted something the other hasn't, especially things like snakes that often stay still and rely on blending in. Two sets of eyes versus two sets of footfalls might be a wash.

There is also the safety issue with remote hiking, buddy rule and all. Breaking your ankle while two hours from help is a lot different situation if there is someone else with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel