Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2020, 07:12 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times

Advertisements

It might be more fun to travel with someone (someone compatible, of course),
but if a "someone" isn't available, traveling solo is certainly better than staying home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2020, 02:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
I’ve done lots of ski trips solo. A three week New Zealand summer skiing trip. Two weeks summer skiing in Chile. Snowcat skiing in British Columbia.

I’ve done endless business trips around the world solo.

Old 02-06-2020, 11:15 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,608,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
I’ve done lots of ski trips solo. A three week New Zealand summer skiing trip. Two weeks summer skiing in Chile. Snowcat skiing in British Columbia.

I’ve done endless business trips around the world solo.
Putting business trips aside, focusing on some activities for all or part of the time is a great way to travel solo. A sport, a trek, cooking classes, fitness camps, NGO activity, obviously various tours of a locality, etc...

Old 02-17-2020, 11:14 AM

483 posts, read 886,156 times
I recently tacked on a fun weekend trip at the end of a business trip. My wife couldn't come, so I went solo. While I had fun doing certain things, I was lonely. I can do a night or so at the beach alone to relax; but other than that, it's pretty miserable. I can't stand sitting down in a restaurant and eating alone. Some don't mind it; just not my cup of tea. It depends on the type of destination also. If you're in a family-oriented place and you're alone, you stick out like a sore thumb, and you can feel like a weirdo. If you're touring a museum or some hands-on class (like a cooking class), it's not so bad.

I used to travel solo frequently on business. That kind of travel you get used to, but it got old fast. I still didn't like sitting in restaurants alone then. Maybe it's because I'm getting older and things aren't as fun by myself anymore. I'm happily married and like having my spouse with me.

Old 02-18-2020, 09:58 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,758,356 times
I have no problem sitting and eating in a restaurant alone. I just don’t go out late at night on a business trip. Simple, I get lost easily in the dark. One time I parked my rental car in a Wal Mart parking lot. It took me almost 30 minutes to find it. That’s why. Sort of rural America. I had to go there because I found out I forgot to pack something.

Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
I hate traveling alone. Its just nowhere near as enjoyable for me. But with very few friends and no significant other I've had to. Results have been mixed for me. A couple of horrible trips and a couple of fun trips in the past 5 years. I'm going again next month, but will meet someone where I'm going and we will travel together from there. Hoping this is one of the best trips ever.

Old 02-19-2020, 12:35 PM

12,854 posts, read 22,021,203 times
I like a mix. Some of my favorite trips were solo. I still prefer skiing solo. But I also do love traveling with my girlfriend and friends.

I do feel sorry for those who are afraid to travel alone (or think it's "weird"). It's a shame that anyone would be too caught up in some basic emotions to enjoy a new place with nothing but their own company. Of course it's great to travel with those closest to you, but a solo trip should be something everyone does at some point. Enjoying a restaurant, bar, attraction, flight, drive, walk, etc. is easy if you can get out of your own head about it.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:07 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I like a mix. Some of my favorite trips were solo. I still prefer skiing solo. But I also do love traveling with my girlfriend and friends.

I do feel sorry for those who are afraid to travel alone (or think it's "weird"). It's a shame that anyone would be too caught up in some basic emotions to enjoy a new place with nothing but their own company. Of course it's great to travel with those closest to you, but a solo trip should be something everyone does at some point. Enjoying a restaurant, bar, attraction, flight, drive, walk, etc. is easy if you can get out of your own head about it.
The key is getting out of your own head. I've had trouble with this in the past. For example, I went to Mexico one year and ended up at a couples resort. Big mistake for me. Just made me feel bad about myself. There were parts that were good. I did a day trip I really enjoyed, but overall not a fun trip. Another time I went to Spain and also had a lousy time, but some of it was out of my control, such as flight being cancelled resulting in me getting there a day late, and also arriving sick. It was like everything that could go wrong did. Now I'm going back next month and spending more time there. I expect this to be a great trip because I won't be alone.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:15 PM

12,854 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
The key is getting out of your own head. I've had trouble with this in the past. For example, I went to Mexico one year and ended up at a couples resort. Big mistake for me. Just made me feel bad about myself. There were parts that were good. I did a day trip I really enjoyed, but overall not a fun trip. Another time I went to Spain and also had a lousy time, but some of it was out of my control, such as flight being cancelled resulting in me getting there a day late, and also arriving sick. It was like everything that could go wrong did. Now I'm going back next month and spending more time there. I expect this to be a great trip because I won't be alone.
Absolutely. Getting out of my own head was the hardest part for me. My first solo trip was to London/Edinburgh. I was excited when I booked and enjoyed exploring the city and attractions on my own, but meals were tough at first. I picked takeaway for my first few meals since I was nervous about eating alone. By the 3rd day, I pushed myself to go to a sit down restaurant and it was perfectly fine. I did it for the rest of the trip. Nobody batted an eye about the American by himself. Pubs were challenging as they get loud and they're usually groups of people. I'm a bit on the introverted side too, so it's not like me to just walk in and start chatting people up. But people started talking to me and by the time I left, I was totally comfortable. But the initial push is hard. Even in places like London and Edinburgh which I consider to be easy for solo travelers since they're big cities where people are often solo for various reasons. A resort in Mexico (especially a couple's resort) would be extra hard. I don't know if I'd do that even now.

Old 02-19-2020, 01:47 PM

4,271 posts, read 8,172,339 times
My first true solo trip was like a 5 day cruise out of Miami.. I was unsure how it would go but had a blast.

Next was to Amsterdam solo, also had a blast. Getting ready to go on my fifth (I think) solo trip in 2 weeks.

I find people tend to talk to you if you are alone, which is nice. I've actually met people in my travels that I end up hanging out with later in the week. I was solo in Krakow last year, ended up hitting it off with a couple that was on the same boring beer tour with me.. We ended up hanging out all night and had a ball, definitely one of the most fun nights I've ever had. Ended up going to the Krakow Pinball Museum, out for drinks, to get some street food, and then to sing karaoke.

Also, and maybe it's just me, but, I prefer to fly alone too. I travel a lot with my wife, and I find it less stressful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel