Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,716 posts, read 58,054,000 times

Advertisements

There are differing thoughts on C-D Travel forum.

1) People who are bragging about traveling (5* - 1st class only...)
2) People who are collaboratively sharing ideas to enable others to travel inexpensively or by their own tastes. (they don't care if others take the advice, but just offer their experiences (no crime in that).)
3) The negative Nellie's (plentiful) - "You can't do that, I said so"

It is quite possible to travel as you wish, where you wish and at the expense you wish.
1) It is totally possible to school internationally (nearly free). We host students, as do many international friends who have for generations. We visit 'retired' international friends who our parents hosted (for free) during their international college work during the 1950's and '60's. There are many options for this (apart from 'conventional' means). i.e. NOT institution sponsored 'study abroad' programs.
2) It is reasonable and possible to travel FT very inexpensively. Millions are doing it at the moment, as they have for generations.
3) If you want to travel conventionally, (hotels / short duration / prime time weather...) then you must pay that price of admission.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 09:04 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I bet for every 1,000 travel bloggers trying to reach the point where people are paying for their travel you have over 990 that never get past spare change from a few ad clicks.

Largely because they find out how much work it is to produce hours of content. Many also find out that there are many disadvantages to broadcasting your life over the internet.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:06 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Largely because it doesn't make much money unless you get lucky and your blog snowballs. It's just not something where you can declare work harder/smarter and you'll succeed, many who jump in think so because of the seminars and books they've bought but cold slap of $300/month for full time work slaps 'em in the face.

Old 04-11-2019, 06:07 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
The world should be grateful most Americans don't want to travel. You'd all be annoyed moreso than being around your typical American tourist. They would complain about everything that isn't like it is in America.
Nonsense, American tourists are welcomed because they are considered friendly and generous. There are certain personality types and social classes that complain more, it has nothing to do with nationality.

Old 04-12-2019, 03:47 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
If you think about it, USA is made up of 50 "countries" so it makes sense to see these 50 countries first. Laos? Vietnam? Those are like the size of Minnesota and New Mexico.
Visit them first?????? No! Visit them last! When you're retired, and you don't have the energy it takes to do foreign travel!

Old 04-12-2019, 10:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Visit them first?????? No! Visit them last! When you're retired, and you don't have the energy it takes to do foreign travel!
My husband and I once we retire plan to rent an RV and just travel across the US. WE don't want to waste time doing that while we're still young when there is an entire world still to discover. America isn't going anywhere (maybe a few places will 'float away' lol) … but for us, we want to do the foreign stuff now … all the hiking and walking and adventurous things now before we're too old. Then we'll sit around and be old and fat in an RV

Old 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My husband and I once we retire plan to rent an RV and just travel across the US. WE don't want to waste time doing that while we're still young when there is an entire world still to discover. America isn't going anywhere (maybe a few places will 'float away' lol) … but for us, we want to do the foreign stuff now … all the hiking and walking and adventurous things now before we're too old. Then we'll sit around and be old and fat in an RV

Right, but the issue is when you have children (usually in your 30's and 40's) it's difficult to travel internationally due to cost and the hassle of going overseas with very young children. My wife and I were married for 9 years before our daughter was born, and we did lots of European vacations. Our daughter is almost 6 now and we've continued to travel with her as much as possible, but we've mostly done domestic travel because airfare is significantly less expensive and the flights are shorter. And when she was a baby through age 3, travelling overseas was frustrating and difficult. So for us I feel like in our 20's to mid 30's we did international vacations, and now mid 30's to 40's we've been focusing on domestic travel again. I'm hoping to try for a big international trip in about a year and a half when my daughter is 7 (maybe Japan), as I think she's getting to be a better traveler every year.

Old 04-12-2019, 12:52 PM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Right, but the issue is when you have children (usually in your 30's and 40's) it's difficult to travel internationally due to cost and the hassle of going overseas with very young children. My wife and I were married for 9 years before our daughter was born, and we did lots of European vacations. Our daughter is almost 6 now and we've continued to travel with her as much as possible, but we've mostly done domestic travel because airfare is significantly less expensive and the flights are shorter. And when she was a baby through age 3, travelling overseas was frustrating and difficult. So for us I feel like in our 20's to mid 30's we did international vacations, and now mid 30's to 40's we've been focusing on domestic travel again. I'm hoping to try for a big international trip in about a year and a half when my daughter is 7 (maybe Japan), as I think she's getting to be a better traveler every year.
Most of our international travel was done during our childcare years. Much paid for by my husband’s company. We took my son along a few times other times my parents stayed with him in our home.

Air travel was so very much easier then. Hate it now. I think all the security issues and time hassles might be discouraging for many.

Old 04-12-2019, 01:18 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD1978 View Post
Yes of course. We don't have children together but my husband has a 15 year old who now lives with us (from a previous relationship). He doesn't care much for travel and pretty much can take care of himself anyhow but yeah it's infinitely harder with young children.

It's actually nice that we're in our 30's and his son is 15 so by the time we retire he'll be out of college and supporting himself (or a family) on his own. No obligations for our old asses and off to travel in our RV we go!

Old 04-12-2019, 01:36 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,145,441 times
I did a lot of international travel with my kids before they turned 12. Because it saves money.

Many airlines offer discount for kids up to 12 years old on international routes. Usually they are only charged 2/3 of the adult price even if they occupy seat.

For most hotels outside US, the management allow kids under 12 to stay in the same room without charge.

So it is only marginally more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel