Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 12:05 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,567,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I wouldn't set foot on the Continent, or rather have no plans to. Ever. Waaay too expensive and I sense no love of America there.
You might be surprised at how inexpensive Europe can be (it's a big diverse continent) and how little anyone cares that you're American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 12:32 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
I guess that I am fairly close to average, for an American. Been to Canada several times. Been to Mexico several times. My one trip over seas was to Australia, over three decades ago.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 06-26-2019 at 01:23 PM..

Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You might be surprised at how inexpensive Europe can be (it's a big diverse continent) and how little anyone cares that you're American.
Agreed. I never understand when people say that, 99% of the people I have met traveling in Europe have been absolutely delightful. More than I can say here, TBH.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
This is true, there are definitely places/pockets that are heck of a lot cheaper than the major tourist destinations like London, Paris, Rome, etc. but another thing to consider is the cost of a flight from the US to Europe (yes there are some deals in the off-season) and some people just don't like long flights.

I'm not trying to make excuses for Americans that don't travel to Europe, I've personally been there twice and have also been to all 7 continents, lived on two (North America and Antarctica) and been to over 35+ countries in my life, but just trying to think of other reasons, that would cause people not to go.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:19 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,774 times
I don't understand all these multiple posts about why Americans don't travel overseas. So what if we don't? I consider travel to be a hobby, like reading, or gardening, some may enjoy it, some may not, no big deal. Your travel distance doesn't make you any better or worse than other people. We're entering the age of over tourism anyway, thanks to the internet. Even the Everest is overcrowded with tourists.

Plus people travel for different reasons. I travel for food. Some go to exotic places for bird watching trips, some go to Disney every year with their kids, while others travel for bragging rights / fame / fortune via YouTube. Then there are those who prefer to spend their hard earned money on cars or home improvements to traveling. So what? Do whatever makes you happy. Life's too short to worry about what anyone would think about your travel preference or lack of it.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:28 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
In my experience USA has the most culturally diverse dining opportunities in the world, not even close. It's what comes with a land of immigrants and lots of immigrant communities. That goes for both restaurants and grocery stores. In most medium sized cities in USA I could hop in a car and find Mexican, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamese, Peruvian, Italian, Indian, Greek etc. and depending city/size much more Salvadoran, Guatemalan, Taiwanese, Ethiopian, Pakistani, Moroccan, Lebanese, Colombian, Cuban, Brazilian, Afghani, Turkish, Filipino, Armenian, on and on.

Some people in all countries aren't comfortable with foreign food, but calling out Americans specifically is nonsensical there is tons of foreign food exposure and I suspect if you dug up a list of reason Americans don't travel "uncomfortable with foreign food" would be near the bottom of it.

It's culturally diverse if you want. There are still many Americans who are stuck on burgers and fries, meat and potatoes and fast foods and chain restaurants. Not me, but many Americans have not eaten more than two or three of the cuisines you mention - and have no desire to do so.

They are not adventurous here. And they brag about it.

Just because the restaurants exist, doesn't mean they have any desire to eat there.

I live in a smaller city, about 45 minutes away from Cleveland. It isn't rural. Out of the cuisines you listed, we don't have anything very exotic here - Mexican, Italian, Thia, Japanese, Greek, Lebanese, and Korean in my are available in my city.

The rest of the restaurants are fast food and chains - which are very popular here.

In Cleveland, everything imaginable is available. Add to that, Slovak, Ukrainian, Polish and Russian.

In my city, there is excellent Italian food, from "Mom and Pop" restaurants. You would be surprised by how many people prefer Olive Garden, Pizza Hut and other pizza chains.

A lack of interest in experiencing new, and unusual things, INCLUDING food, does impact people's desire to travel internationally.

Even within the US, there are people who are stuck of their regional cuisine. Generally these are not people from large cities, and they tend to be less educated.

In fact, I know people who are quite comfortable both in Ohio, in the South, and in the Northeast, where I am originally from, who have little interest in regional cuisine of their area.

It boggles my mind.

There are Californians and South-westerners who only eat Mexican food or Tex Mex. NY metro area folks who fixate on Chnese and Italian food, are obsessive about their bagels, and Pizza.

There are people from the South who can't live with out Barbecue, and so on.

Many people travel to experience the wines, beers, and foods of other countries, and celebrate the cultural differences.

If you can't live with out a cheeseburger and Bud or Coors are the only beers you drink, the allure of other cultures is lessened.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:30 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
Some people are less adventurous than others in terms of different cultures. And some people are home bodies.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:35 PM

7,067 posts, read 4,510,340 times
Some people don’t like to travel and some can’t afford it. We have been to Europe 4x’s, Thailand once and many Caribbean islands. Even when you look for deals it’s not cheap.

Old 06-26-2019, 03:37 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I don't understand all these multiple posts about why Americans don't travel overseas. So what if we don't? .
Travel snobs love to feel superior to others. Let 'em have it.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:16 PM

656 posts, read 812,831 times
This question has simple answers, don't overthink it folks!

-Plenty here to do

-No money to travel abroad

-Oceans on either side
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel