Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2019, 10:39 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Travel snobs love to feel superior to others. Let 'em have it.
European and Australian always want to show that they are more sophisticated than American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 04:09 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,572,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
It's culturally diverse if you want. There are still many Americans who are stuck on burgers and fries, meat and potatoes and fast foods and chain restaurants. Not me, but many Americans have not eaten more than two or three of the cuisines you mention - and have no desire to do so.
Of course, but this doesn't support the singling out of Americans as not being adventurous eaters. There are people in China who only want to eat noodles/rice/dumplings, there existence doesn't mean we would say Chinese are not adventurous eaters.

Quote:
Just because the restaurants exist, doesn't mean they have any desire to eat there.
Restaurants don't exist unless enough people have the desire to eat there.

Quote:
I live in a smaller city, about 45 minutes away from Cleveland. It isn't rural. Out of the cuisines you listed, we don't have anything very exotic here - Mexican, Italian, Thia, Japanese, Greek, Lebanese, and Korean in my are available in my city.
That's my point. Pick a smaller city in Brazil, Korea, Nigeria, or Sweden. Do you think they'd have all those types of cuisine that you as an American in a small city have available?

Quote:
If you can't live with out a cheeseburger and Bud or Coors are the only beers you drink, the allure of other cultures is lessened.
So what is the impact of this on Americans traveling overseas? Like what percentage of Americans choose not to travel because they can't live without a cheeseburger (which you can get anywhere in the world) or a specific brand of beer? I'm not doubting most of what you're saying, just questioning the implication that American eating preferences has any significant impact (compared to other reasons given in this thread) on whether they travel internationally.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:11 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
European and Australian always want to show that they are more sophisticated than American.
Europeans, I get it.

Australians? Really? lol

Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Travel snobs love to feel superior to others. Let 'em have it.
Travel snobs do not realize they are as annoying as car snobs.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:14 PM

725 posts, read 805,370 times
A lot of people live outside major cities. A lot are even multiple hours away from a regional airport with flights to those cities so going overseas means a lot of difficulty for people who probably have families. That’s why the common places many aspire to go to are Hawaii (if near the West Coast), Mexico and the Caribbean. Anything else is a too far given the time off they have. Europe is the easiest option for the big trip. Being in NYC many places are accessible but 8 hours was really the maximum I’d want to fly in economy. Since I discovered business class and will not go back it opens a whole lot of possibilities. 13-14 hours to Japan doesn’t seem like a problem anymore with a bed but in economy it was a no go and only stopping for a day or two in California or Vancouver was an option. Most could afford to go comfortably like this but when you add in multiple people no.

The U.S. is huge by comparison to most countries so many don’t feel the need to explore other parts of the world so far away when there are a lot of different regions within. NZ is isolated so internstional travel becomes standard and in Europe there is North Africa and places like Jordan and Dubai accessible on a short holiday.

Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mej210390 View Post
Compared to Aussies (Australians), Kiwis (New Zealanders), Canucks (Canadians), Brits, Irish, Continental Europeans and potentially others too, it seems to me that so few Americans (Yanks) visit other countries in the world, I read on some website that only a 1/3s of Americans have passports which is 35% of Americans which leads me to believe from that statistic that 2/3s of Americans don't (65%) and hence as a result never have been abroad.

PS. Don't mean to disrespect y'all.
And that doesn't count many Americans who have passports but no intention of ever leaving the country. Because passports are acceptable ID, many State drivers licenses soon won't be.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:07 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
And that doesn't count many Americans who have passports but no intention of ever leaving the country. Because passports are acceptable ID, many State drivers licenses soon won't be.
Has there been a sharp uptick in passport applications since the Real ID Act? I have a valid passport which I got for the purpose of travel, but if I didn't, I would go to the DMV for a Real-ID-compliant driver's license or ID card before I'd go to the trouble and expense of getting a passport.

Old 07-01-2019, 06:02 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,903,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Has there been a sharp uptick in passport applications since the Real ID Act? I have a valid passport which I got for the purpose of travel, but if I didn't, I would go to the DMV for a Real-ID-compliant driver's license or ID card before I'd go to the trouble and expense of getting a passport.
There has been an increase. It's hard to figure how much is due to the Real ID law. Many States are just now compliant. A few years back, many domestic flyers just didn't want to wait, perhaps figuring there would only be a short window between their State being compliant and the law being enforced, and they could be out of town then.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:42 PM

2,611 posts, read 2,880,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
Europeans, I get it.

Australians? Really? lol
Oh Yeah! They thinks they are so rich. Their cities are much better than the American ones and they always holiday abroad.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:13 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,044,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
A lot of people live outside major cities. A lot are even multiple hours away from a regional airport with flights to those cities...
Pretty lame excuse. 90% of the American population lives within 58 miles of an airport, and most of those live near a major airport with international flights.

So approximately 300 million people are within reasonable distance to air travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel