Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2022, 04:05 PM

4,852 posts, read 3,650,271 times

Advertisements

IDK, I was born in La Rochelle, France on the bay of Biscay (Nouvelle Aquataine), lived there, lived near Ingrandes de Touraine in the Loire Valley. Lived in Boeblingen, and Vilseck. Guess it's a case of "been there done that"...

I might take a trip for old times sake to France but the travel confusion these days... IDK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 04:27 PM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
I have only read the original post, but I’m not interested in traveling anywhere outside of my own country anymore. Even then, I’m avoiding certain places that have gone unsafe. The world is crazy, and now we are older. We aren't up to airport hassles and Covid restrictions. We’ve “been there, done that.”, and now just want safety and comfort.

Right now, we have 2 kids and some grandchildren vacationing in Spain, and I think that’s wonderful. They are young enough to adapt.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:45 PM

3,602 posts, read 2,310,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
One thing I would add is traveling here is becoming more and more expensive at popular attractions. I was just looking at hotels for Yellowstone and Yosemite for next year, and these places are charging $300-$400 per night. Moreover, some of these places get booked a year in advance! And I am not even talking about fiver star places. These are just mid-class hotels. So, planning a trip to these places is like running a rat race.

I wouldn’t be surprised if more people would travel overseas instead of traveling in USA just because overseas travel might actually turn out to be cheaper!
I remember in 2017 getting online the day they opened the bookings for Yellowstone for the following year. Cannot remember what we paid but it was pretty expensive.

But don’t head down here if you want cheap accommodation. My brother rang yesterday on his way to the NSW snow fields, which were mostly closed the last two years. He is going to camp in his car as the cheapest accommodation he could find on short notice was around $1,000 a night in US dollars. I think he is crazy but that is the nature of some skiers.

It is the same high prices up in North Queensland and the non-urban locations. However not as bad in places like Sydney and Melbourne because the number of overseas tourists is still very much down. China was a very big market which has disappeared for now.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:57 PM

620 posts, read 312,702 times
Yeah that’s why I have decided I won’t book hotels inside or right next to the attraction. For our trip in June 2023 to California, I was able to book two nights in Mariposa at hotel with decent reviews for approximately $180 per night. This place is within an hour distance of Yosemite. I am willing to drive 2 hours altogether if it saves me close to $200 a day.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:18 PM

9,155 posts, read 6,202,297 times
Quote:
Yeah that’s why I have decided I won’t book hotels inside or right next to the attraction. For our trip in June 2023 to California, I was able to book two nights in Mariposa at hotel with decent reviews for approximately $180 per night. This place is within an hour distance of Yosemite. I am willing to drive 2 hours altogether if it saves me close to $200 a day.

My holiday time is worth more than $100/hour, so I'll pay the price to reduce unnecessary commute time.

I'm on holiday - I don't want to spend hours in my car going to and from my objective. If I can't afford to stay nearby, I'll change my destination to a cheaper destination or reduce the number of days I stay there.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
My holiday time is worth more than $100/hour, so I'll pay the price to reduce unnecessary commute time.

I'm on holiday - I don't want to spend hours in my car going to and from my objective. If I can't afford to stay nearby, I'll change my destination to a cheaper destination or reduce the number of days I stay there.
That’s perfectly fine as it’s individual preference. We usually leave early in the morning to beat the crowd (unless we are too tired) so we don’t really mind morning drive. And when we are coming back from hiking/ sight seeing whole day around dark, it doesn’t matter to us if we get to hotel at 8 vs 9.

As I said, it’s up to the individual.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:52 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,853,022 times
There are times when the journey is pretty enough that it’s okay to be a little further from the destination every day.

Though remember to be extra careful coming back to the hotel after dark when wildlife and such is more active. We’ve suddenly found ourselves in the middle of herds of many things over the years- deer, elk, antelope, cows, sheep, etc.- and slamming on the brakes during those evenings.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post

Though remember to be extra careful coming back to the hotel after dark when wildlife and such is more active. We’ve suddenly found ourselves in the middle of herds of many things over the years- deer, elk, antelope, cows, sheep, etc.- and slamming on the brakes during those evenings.
True. When I went to Smokey Mountain first time, I went completely unprepared regrading bear issue. I saw one adult bear coming in front of me during one of the hikes. It was far enough that I filmed a video real quick on my phone, and turned around and left without finishing the hike. Looking back, it was pretty silly of me to go completely unprepared like that. Next time when I enter into bear county, I am taking those sprays.

It’s also important to read about wildlife behavior and what should be done in case if you encounter one. For example, reading about moose if visiting Alaska..

Old 08-08-2022, 04:32 PM

3,357 posts, read 1,235,426 times
Quote:
We went to Yosemite in fall 2019 and stayed in the platform tent village, it was over $150/nt in a tent with the bathhouse across the road….but there is something amazing about sleeping in the park! They were turning people away who didn’t have reservations, very busy.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Perhaps that is a cultural difference as many young people here think the opposite. They want to do essential overseas travelling and see the world, saying that when they are old they can see their own country thoroughly.

Trouble is we get hooked on overseas travel. We just booked for South Africa for next year. So glad we can travel again after the past two years.
I have booked trip for next year to Yosemite - King Canyon- Sequoia- Death Valley. In addition to that, there are two more trips I want to make in US; one in Washington (Olympics - Mt Rainer - North Cascade) and one in Yellow Stone - Tentons - Glacier as well as one trip in Canada (Bnaff and Jasper). At that point, I would have crossed off my bucket list from North America and venture outside.

I haven’t been to Hawaii/ Alaska but they aren’t my priority. I will see them some other day. But trips above, I definitely want to accomplish within next two years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel