Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2023, 04:52 PM

2,299 posts, read 1,521,375 times

Advertisements

We are trying to plan for our departure next week for Sth Africa around the news that load shedding, ie power outage, has just reached Level 6, meaning power may be randomly turned off for up to eight hours a day. They have been warned that it may reach the highest level, 8, as winter sets in shortly.

We have been advised to take mostly cash, which fortunately is easily available here. We have to take torches, power packs and also a power board. Apparently generators are common but cannot be relied on. We also need binoculars and as my husband is a keen photographer he is taking a camera. Will not be able to travel light.

Family members of friends live in Capetown and apparently the situation is difficult, one friend left early from his trip home a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully will be an interesting trip but not one recommended for those who want all the comforts of home. From here, New Zealand is the place for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 05:21 PM

620 posts, read 312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Thanks a lot for the additional info! It sounds like we might share a lot of the same interests as I am a big fan of the US national parks and what they have to offer in terms of nature as well. As for Africa, I cannot imagine you being disappointed. Nature, yes! Wildlife, mountains, deserts, jungle, savannah, spectacular seacoasts, on such a large continent you can find it all. For me, a big bonus to Africa is that you can experience marvelous nature and history with the backdrop of different peoples and cultures and all that implies.

Morocco, as has been suggested, is fantastic and would certainly check your boxes while being a relatively short flight from the US. Pyramids? Egypt, needless to say! Churches? Ethiopia, Ethiopia, Ethiopia! Read up on Lalibela, among others. Likewise for Ethiopia, amazing nature such as the Danakil Depression and the Simien Mountains (hiking). A caveat about Ethiopia is the current political instability. But timed and planned right, a trip to the Horn of Africa is something that will change you.

Nature in Southern Africa is on a whole different level. In 2019, I traveled to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. South Africa has it all, and the infrastructure is certainly traveler friendly. Namibia has landscapes and seascapes that are out of this world, and wildlife abounds, as it does in Botswana and South Africa. It was a very long flight for me to reach this part of the world, but it was absolutely worth it.

I have also been twice to West Africa. More wonderful places offering nature, hiking, history, music, and culture galore.

I hope this helps, maybe even a little, to whet your appetite. I am always happy to answer questions, if I can.

Happy travels!
That was amazing write-up! Thank you. Once I am done with essentials in US (Yosemite, Yellowstone and Olympic), I want to venture out. Iceland is certainly on my radar, as is South America (Patagonia). Admittingly I know nothing about African continent. So, I am really curious about experiences of people who have actually been there. Your post and previous post from Gator are very inspiring.

Appreciate you taking time to write this.

Old 04-23-2023, 05:29 PM

620 posts, read 312,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaAnna View Post
We are trying to plan for our departure next week for Sth Africa around the news that load shedding, ie power outage, has just reached Level 6, meaning power may be randomly turned off for up to eight hours a day. They have been warned that it may reach the highest level, 8, as winter sets in shortly.

We have been advised to take mostly cash, which fortunately is easily available here. We have to take torches, power packs and also a power board. Apparently generators are common but cannot be relied on. We also need binoculars and as my husband is a keen photographer he is taking a camera. Will not be able to travel light.

Family members of friends live in Capetown and apparently the situation is difficult, one friend left early from his trip home a couple of weeks ago.

Hopefully will be an interesting trip but not one recommended for those who want all the comforts of home. From here, New Zealand is the place for that.
Yeah, I have experienced selective power cut firsthand when I was staying in Asia. Not a pleasant situation to be in, especially if it’s hot weather during day.

Old 04-23-2023, 10:00 PM

218 posts, read 156,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrish78 View Post
That was amazing write-up! Thank you. Once I am done with essentials in US (Yosemite, Yellowstone and Olympic), I want to venture out. Iceland is certainly on my radar, as is South America (Patagonia). Admittingly I know nothing about African continent. So, I am really curious about experiences of people who have actually been there. Your post and previous post from Gator are very inspiring.

My pleasure, and I was glad to do it.

Congratulations on your goals of Yosemite, Yellowstone, and Olympic and then Iceland and Patagonia as well. Your destination choices are inspired. You already know you will be greatly rewarded. Safe and enjoyable travels to you. Live it up!

Old 06-26-2023, 12:50 PM

4,606 posts, read 3,000,886 times
Quote:
That was amazing write-up! Thank you. Once I am done with essentials in US
(Yosemite, Yellowstone and Olympic), I want to venture out. Iceland is certainly on my radar,
as is South America (Patagonia). Admittingly I know nothing about African continent.
So, I am really curious about experiences of people who have actually been there.
Your post and previous post from Gator are very inspiring.
I haven't traveled overseas either (except for Hawaii).
During the pandemic, when I wasn't even going out of state,
I looked at various faraway landscapes online, and pondered
the question, "If I could visit only one place outside North America,
which place should I choose?" I decided on Norway:

http://www.google.com/maps/@67.93623...4352?entry=ttu

http://www.google.com/maps/@68.04234...5632?entry=ttu

These high-latitude landscapes may be too severe-looking for some tastes,
but the coastline of Norway would be my nominee for "most beautiful place in the world."

Last edited by NW4me; 06-26-2023 at 01:08 PM..

Old 06-26-2023, 01:06 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:

I know someone who went to Patagonia. Very dramatic landscape, like Norway, but even more dramatic mountains: higher altitudes, sharper peaks. And there are fjords, as I recall.

Old 06-26-2023, 11:59 PM

565 posts, read 282,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabezablanca View Post
Thanks a lot for the additional info! It sounds like we might share a lot of the same interests as I am a big fan of the US national parks and what they have to offer in terms of nature as well. As for Africa, I cannot imagine you being disappointed. Nature, yes! Wildlife, mountains, deserts, jungle, savannah, spectacular seacoasts, on such a large continent you can find it all. For me, a big bonus to Africa is that you can experience marvelous nature and history with the backdrop of different peoples and cultures and all that implies.

Morocco, as has been suggested, is fantastic and would certainly check your boxes while being a relatively short flight from the US. Pyramids? Egypt, needless to say! Churches? Ethiopia, Ethiopia, Ethiopia! Read up on Lalibela, among others. Likewise for Ethiopia, amazing nature such as the Danakil Depression and the Simien Mountains (hiking). A caveat about Ethiopia is the current political instability. But timed and planned right, a trip to the Horn of Africa is something that will change you.

Nature in Southern Africa is on a whole different level. In 2019, I traveled to Namibia, Botswana, Zimbabwe, and South Africa. South Africa has it all, and the infrastructure is certainly traveler friendly. Namibia has landscapes and seascapes that are out of this world, and wildlife abounds, as it does in Botswana and South Africa. It was a very long flight for me to reach this part of the world, but it was absolutely worth it.

I have also been twice to West Africa. More wonderful places offering nature, hiking, history, music, and culture galore.

I hope this helps, maybe even a little, to whet your appetite. I am always happy to answer questions, if I can.

Happy travels!
Quote:

In Namibia now on the Chobe River looking across at Botswana. Absolutely amazing place. The natural wonders here are indeed next level. Yesterday, on a cruise upriver, we saw huge groups of animals make their way to the river for water. Hundreds of buffalo, scores of elephants and giraffe, impala, crocs, kudu, warthogs, mongoose, and too many waterbirds to count. I counted 30 elephants at one location alone. The day before yesterday in Botswana we saw a leopard drag an impala into some bushes. Turns out it was a mom and we got a very close up view of her male baby who was also on the hunt. Day before that we observed 3 lions walking on the beach. The Maasai Mara in Kenya was a visual feast with large concentrations of animals in a relatively small space. Kruger was nice but it's so big that in days of game drives we saw half as many animals as in Kenya. Our guide says if you could only do one country, Botswana is your best bet. Infrastructure in Kenya was OK but the roads were terrible. South Africa feels very western. Botswana/Namibia/Zimbabwe have great roads but minimal levels of western type infrastructure. Have felt safe everywhere except parts of Nairobi - lots of poverty and too many people with seemly too little to do. Wouldn't stop me from going back.

Last edited by Gator Fan 79; 06-27-2023 at 12:59 AM..

Old 06-27-2023, 01:09 PM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Fan 79 View Post
In Namibia now on the Chobe River looking across at Botswana. Absolutely amazing place. .... Our guide says if you could only do one country, Botswana is your best bet. ..
I have only very reccently become aware of, and interested in, the Okavango Delta region (Botswana). Are you going there?

Apparently the delta comes & goes depending on the season.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:23 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
While we have the money to travel overseas, we don't have the time on his end vacation wise

Old 06-28-2023, 11:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:

We’re talking about Iceland. We always take the Boston-Heathrow morning flight to get to Europe to avoid red eyes. I’ve been doing that for 25 or 30 years. There’s a noon Boston-Iceland flight that lands around 10pm. We’re considering doing that and a couple of night layover to see a bit of Iceland. If it works out, we might do that flight regularly and do more exploring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel