Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 09:45 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
No vegetables at all at the event you attended? Its been decades since there wasn't a vegetarian option available at ANY function or restaurant I've been to. Even airlines. Ask ahead. Didn't bother to ask ahead? Eat the salad that came with dinner, eat the veggies and rice/potatoes that came with the rubber chicken.

I've seen plenty of veggie options, which means "no meat", that weren't about veggies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 11:47 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Both near home and when traveling, I often request No Cheese, No Ketchup/Relish/Pickles etc, and I usually ask that any sauces be on the side unless I already know how the kitchen makes it.

Those alone greatly reduce salt and sugar content.

If you eat at chain restaurants, look up nutritional info on their websites. By doing so, I know which fast food outlets’ specific items actually are decent food. I write down what the acceptable items are and limit myself to those. Recently I discovered a reasonably tasty, not salty and not sugar-tainted couple of choices at a major fast food chain that I had previously avoided. Tip: The items featured in combos always star some sandwich or main item that is heavily salted, fatted, sugared, and not even that tasty. But they get to make catchy proprietary names on those, and thus pull in more purchases from people who did NOT check out the nutritional info or do not care.

Old 04-11-2019, 04:15 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
Both near home and when traveling, I often request No Cheese, No Ketchup/Relish/Pickles etc, and I usually ask that any sauces be on the side unless I already know how the kitchen makes it.

If you eat at chain restaurants, look up nutritional info on their websites. By doing so, I know which fast food outlets’ specific items actually are decent food. I write down what the acceptable items are and limit myself to those. Recently I discovered a reasonably tasty, not salty and not sugar-tainted couple of choices at a major fast food chain that I had previously avoided. Tip: The items featured in combos always star some sandwich or main item that is heavily salted, fatted, sugared, and not even that tasty. But they get to make catchy proprietary names on those, and thus pull in more purchases from people who did NOT check out the nutritional info or do not care.

Why not share those discoveries?

Old 04-11-2019, 04:16 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
I've seen plenty of veggie options, which means "no meat", that weren't about veggies.
Certainly. But MY point is that there is virtually always a vegetarian meal choice available.

Old 04-12-2019, 06:51 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it.

I'm betting that if you had been told that all the good you had on your trip was organic, healthy, low salt, etc. you would have felt fine when you arrived home.

No vegetables at all at the event you attended? Its been decades since there wasn't a vegetarian option available at ANY function or restaurant I've been to. Even airlines. Ask ahead. Didn't bother to ask ahead? Eat the salad that came with dinner, eat the veggies and rice/potatoes that came with the rubber chicken.
I'll mention this below but they add salt to literally everything. For preservation and to lower storage costs I guess.

They had vegetables with a whole bunch of soy sauce and other heavily salt laden glazes and dressings on it. Unfortunately I guess it's too costly to just buy organic frozen vegetables and steam them fresh then serve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensmith12 View Post
Hi,
Maintaining a healthy diet during traveling is very difficult. It is better to eat low carbs food while traveling.
Thanks.
The problem is for whatever reason whether it's chicken or beef they think they need to add 2000 mg of salt to ensure it doesn't "spoil" and hide that salt in seasoning and offset the salty taste by adding 100% DV of added sugar

Quote:

Thanks, I will try and research because Denny's in Japan for example (the only place open at 6am in the area we were in) the scrambled eggs for whatever odd reason they felt the need to douse in salt. You know many of these places pre-make the meals the night before or have pre-made from a distribution facility for highly ordered items on the menu. Again, probably for preservation reasons.

Quote:
Certainly. But MY point is that there is virtually always a vegetarian meal choice available.
The key problem which vegans often do not pay attention to is that the preservation of those vegetables usually involves heavy salt and not just freezing or refrigeration

Either way, appreciate all the input from folks...We will figure something out...

In Japan at least they have more options. Traveling domestically is hell in terms of healthy eating. In Japan will at least be able to say "No soy sauce" and there are food carts where they you can order plain tofu with no seasoning. In USA they just generally add a whole bunch of preservatives or salt long before it even arrives to the kitchen or is packaged (airlines) so not much control there.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:23 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
According to a food scientist friend, the most common heat preservation process used for safer canned goods does leave a bitter aftertaste and the salt is used not for preservation purposes but because it cuts the bitterness so that people don't notice it.

Old 04-12-2019, 08:50 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,349,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I'll mention this below but they add salt to literally everything. For preservation and to lower storage costs I guess.

They had vegetables with a whole bunch of soy sauce and other heavily salt laden glazes and dressings on it. Unfortunately I guess it's too costly to just buy organic frozen vegetables and steam them fresh then serve?

The problem is for whatever reason whether it's chicken or beef they think they need to add 2000 mg of salt to ensure it doesn't "spoil" and hide that salt in seasoning and offset the salty taste by adding 100% DV of added sugar

Thanks, I will try and research because Denny's in Japan for example (the only place open at 6am in the area we were in) the scrambled eggs for whatever odd reason they felt the need to douse in salt. You know many of these places pre-make the meals the night before or have pre-made from a distribution facility for highly ordered items on the menu. Again, probably for preservation reasons.

The key problem which vegans often do not pay attention to is that the preservation of those vegetables usually involves heavy salt and not just freezing or refrigeration

Either way, appreciate all the input from folks...We will figure something out...

In Japan at least they have more options. Traveling domestically is hell in terms of healthy eating. In Japan will at least be able to say "No soy sauce" and there are food carts where they you can order plain tofu with no seasoning. In USA they just generally add a whole bunch of preservatives or salt long before it even arrives to the kitchen or is packaged (airlines) so not much control there.
Just a correction since you've said it numerous times in this post and others. The primary use of salt in "modern" food is taste - CHEAP taste - not as a preservative. There are plenty of other preservatives used just for that purpose. I'm not saying it is smart or healthy to eat this food but at least understand the point of it.

And I do hope you're aware that the "typical" Japanese diet is one of the highest in sodium in the world. Sure, you can avoid the soy sauce put on top, etc. but it is DEEP into their way of cooking....but yeah..difficult overall. If all you want is plain cooked tofu, enjoy!

You have such disdain and distrust for ever eating anything but your own food - you really need to plan on just staying at home for your own sanity.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:37 AM

356 posts, read 175,782 times
Why is this in the Travel forum?

Old 04-12-2019, 09:58 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,689,638 times
Carry some unsalted nuts with you. They’re light, compact sources of beneficial fats, and some have good amounts of protein. If you vacuum-bag them they will stay fresh longer and take less space in your baggage or pocket.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:02 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,878,381 times
Quote:
Carry some unsalted nuts with you. They’re light, compact sources of beneficial fats, and some have good amounts of protein. If you vacuum-bag them they will stay fresh longer and take less space in your baggage or pocket.
If only I could eat a whole can of nuts without farting up a storm....

I like the canned idea because I know canned brands which DON'T add salt for taste. Domestically that could probably work. Internationally I'll need to figure something else out.

And yes very aware of Japan because literally 90% of Men get high blood pressure there by age 50. But there's ways to get around it you just can't use seasoning at all and stick to the boiled vegetables and meat and DON'T DRINK THE BROTH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel