Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2019, 03:39 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,825,653 times

Advertisements

Need some tips:

- On the airplane/regional rail line
- At quick mart/7-11 type stores
- At the hotel

What are some go-to options for people who need to have a low salt diet (TOO MUCH sodium and sugar is in EVERYTHING!!! Especially in the States) while in transit and traveling in general?

I am afraid of getting eColi/Salmonella so I typically do not frequent the salad bar or have uncooked greens while traveling. Service workers are terrible and don't care about the condition they keep the food in. So it's like the only things that are safe from food poisoning have BUCKETS of sodium and are fried/processed

Maybe some of the more frequent travelers with dietary restrictions can weigh in.

I eat basically a Ketogenic diet at home that is low carb, high fat/protein and minimal salt. It is very hard to get this on the road unless you are just talking nuts and seeds. The problem is I can't eat too much nuts or seeds they give me gas. It's like you can't get anything with seasoning because they typically dump buckets of salt into any kind of seasoning at all. And you have to choose between a snack that's either 25% of your DV for salt OR sugar and sometimes BOTH.

Bananas have been one of my go-to's but there has to be some kind of brand or option I'm overlooking/missing here. Thoughts? My levels are normal as I just got physical exam blood-work. But my BP is salt sensitive and my blood sugar spikes with too much carbs making me feel dizzy and "off". Maybe because it's hard for my body to re-adapt to the junk? Either way I need options...

I wish they had a simple bento box type meal with cooked chicken with minimal seasoning, steamed broccoli and carrot with a bit of olive oil and a LITTLE bit of brown rice. That is pretty much the type of stuff I eat daily. Animal protein with cooked vegetables or organic vegetables that have been soaked in vinegar overnight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2019, 04:35 PM

1,584 posts, read 968,469 times
Unfortunately, restaurant food tends to be salty and fat-laden. And that goes double for fast food and convenience store fare — I’d avoid these like the plague. Airplane food is probably a non-starter as well. No idea about trains, though Amtrak tends towards fast food type fare also.

Asian restaurants (especially Japanese places) might be a good bet depending on what you order. You can always ask for something off menu that’s simple (lean turkey or chicken or fish, plain rice, cooked veggies). My guess is most restaurants can accommodate this. You might be able to get a peanut butter sandwich, though most restaurants use the crappy kind with hydrogenated oils. Would have suggested fresh fruit, but that may not work for you. Are raw carrots and celery an option?

Regardless, you’re probably going to have to not get bored easily, as your food options will probably be minimal.

Old 04-01-2019, 04:58 PM

3,602 posts, read 7,851,207 times
You have very specific requirements AND you appear to be afraid of food you have not prepared yourself.

Consider (1) not traveling or (2) bringing all your own food (like some Brits do when they go to suspect places like France).

Old 04-01-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
You have very specific requirements AND you appear to be afraid of food you have not prepared yourself.

Consider (1) not traveling or (2) bringing all your own food (like some Brits do when they go to suspect places like France).
I am cool with eating food not prepared by me as long as it's not RAW.... (Has to be cooked unless we're at a well acclaimed sushi restaurant or vegan bar etc.)

The problem is while IN TRANSIT basically anything is salt laden

Old 04-01-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachslunch View Post
Unfortunately, restaurant food tends to be salty and fat-laden. And that goes double for fast food and convenience store fare — I’d avoid these like the plague. Airplane food is probably a non-starter as well. No idea about trains, though Amtrak tends towards fast food type fare also.

Asian restaurants (especially Japanese places) might be a good bet depending on what you order. You can always ask for something off menu that’s simple (lean turkey or chicken or fish, plain rice, cooked veggies). My guess is most restaurants can accommodate this. You might be able to get a peanut butter sandwich, though most restaurants use the crappy kind with hydrogenated oils. Would have suggested fresh fruit, but that may not work for you. Are raw carrots and celery an option?

Regardless, you’re probably going to have to not get bored easily, as your food options will probably be minimal.
Oh I don't get bored I eat almost the same exact thing for lunch daily.

I don't get what's so difficult about finding a way to preserve cooked vegetables and meat without dousing it with SODIUM

It's basically like the only things you can eat that have a low chance of food poisoning have massive amounts of salt in it. This is precisely why I don't travel often and could never accept a position that requires more than 5% travel like the one I have now.

It sucks you can't bring food on planes domestically that isn't from past the gate. When my Wife or I cannot cook we have 2 places to rely on that provide fresh sashimi and uncooked vegetables that won't poison us with eColi or parasites. But if we're at a truck stop the only safe option is a banana, plantain chips and coconut water and lucky if they have even ONE of those 3...

Old 04-01-2019, 06:40 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,190,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
I am cool with eating food not prepared by me as long as it's not RAW.... (Has to be cooked unless we're at a well acclaimed sushi restaurant or vegan bar etc.)

The problem is while IN TRANSIT basically anything is salt laden
While in transit is only a few hours flying and maybe a day by car. Is your health so delicate that you can't pack two of your own homecooked meals to take with you? We all get into habits at home that seem scary to have to break but that is 50% of the fun of travel is to do new things! If modifying your diet for 24 hours at a time seriously impacts your health then you probably should not be traveling. Think about it and try to relax.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
While in transit is only a few hours flying and maybe a day by car. Is your health so delicate that you can't pack two of your own homecooked meals to take with you? We all get into habits at home that seem scary to have to break but that is 50% of the fun of travel is to do new things! If modifying your diet for 24 hours at a time seriously impacts your health then you probably should not be traveling. Think about it and try to relax.
I am traveling during lunch time and no lunch is provided on flight. So we will be going from about 9am-5pm with no solid food unless we stop somewhere fast food-ish, and I was under the impression you cannot bring home cooked food on the airplane?

There's a big difference between having fun traveling and putting toxic synthetic food in your body because nothing else is available....They are not synonymous.

So I guess diabetics, people with IBS and anyone with a food allergy shouldn't travel?

Old 04-01-2019, 07:54 PM

4,085 posts, read 2,515,217 times
Quote:
Need some tips:

- At the hotel

What are some go-to options for people who need to have a low salt diet (TOO MUCH sodium and sugar is in EVERYTHING!!! Especially in the States) while in transit and traveling in general?

I am afraid of getting eColi/Salmonella so I typically do not frequent the salad bar or have uncooked greens while traveling. Service workers are terrible and don't care about the condition they keep the food in. So it's like the only things that are safe from food poisoning have BUCKETS of sodium and are fried/processed

Maybe some of the more frequent travelers with dietary restrictions can weigh in.

I eat basically a Ketogenic diet at home that is low carb, high fat/protein and minimal salt. It is very hard to get this on the road unless you are just talking nuts and seeds. The problem is I can't eat too much nuts or seeds they give me gas. It's like you can't get anything with seasoning because they typically dump buckets of salt into any kind of seasoning at all. And you have to choose between a snack that's either 25% of your DV for salt OR sugar and sometimes BOTH.

Bananas have been one of my go-to's but there has to be some kind of brand or option I'm overlooking/missing here. Thoughts? My levels are normal as I just got physical exam blood-work. But my BP is salt sensitive and my blood sugar spikes with too much carbs making me feel dizzy and "off". Maybe because it's hard for my body to re-adapt to the junk? Either way I need options...

I wish they had a simple bento box type meal with cooked chicken with minimal seasoning, steamed broccoli and carrot with a bit of olive oil and a LITTLE bit of brown rice. That is pretty much the type of stuff I eat daily. Animal protein with cooked vegetables or organic vegetables that have been soaked in vinegar overnight
If you eat eggs, prepackaged hard boiled eggs are often readily available at convenience stores; most hotel breakfasts even at the lower end chains often have a dish of hard-cooked eggs in a bowl on the buffet. I usually grab a few extra ones to eat later as a snack.

At the airport, I've seen places that have the hermetically sealed, seemingly-untouched-by-human-hands packages of cut vegetables with or without prepackaged hummus. There *are*both carbs and sodium in that hummus, but beans tend to not cause rapid spikes in blood sugar. You might also be able to find unsweetened, plain yogurt--especially if you're in an airport in a major metro area rather than a regional one.

Oranges should be readily available as well at most convenience stores, hotels, and airports.

If you're lucky enough to be at an airport with a sit down restaurant option, there is no reason why you could not request a plain chicken breast or a piece of fish with a side of plain rice or a potato (eat the skin--the fiber will slow down the absorption of the starches a bit), and steamed vegetables.

Old 04-02-2019, 02:58 AM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,981 times
Quote:
Need some tips:

- At the hotel

Could you stay in hotels with an in-room kitchen like Residence Inn or Town Place suites? I have done this before and made my own vegetable soup and hummus at a Residence Inn.

Artisana also has convenient nut butter packs for travel.

https://artisanaorganics.com/collect...-snack-pouches

Old 04-02-2019, 04:54 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,267,717 times
Yoghurt? If you can find any without sugar. It is really difficult travelling and maintaining a healthy diet. I do not like salt laden food and I do not have a sweet tooth. We spent nearly seven weeks in the US last year and I put myself on a big diet before the trip as I knew how difficult it would be. At least I came home on my normal weight, not higher. I am back on my lowish carbs diet again and even at home it is hard to find anything simple to eat when out for lunch. I wandered around the local mall yesterday before giving in to a Vietnamese roll, without added salt. Good luck, OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel