Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 09:32 AM

356 posts, read 175,977 times

Advertisements

I do, or at least that's my preference.

While I have done a modest share of traveling to destinations during their 'marquee' event (like Boston during July 4 Esplanade concert), in general I tend to avoid doing so.

New Orleans? Yes, but not during Mardi Gras.

Louisville? Yes, but not during Derby.

etc.

anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 10:15 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Nothing contrarian about avoiding the worst crowds. I went to Alburquerque’s balloon fest more than 30 years ago. It was worth doing but very crowded. I can’t imagine what torture it would be these days.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:25 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Im not interested in going to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, so I would choose to go at a different time. I wouldn't mind going to the Kentucky Derby, but if I was going to Louisville for other reasons, I would also choose a different time to go. Neither my husband or I like dealing with a lot of crowds, so we tend to try to travel during the shoulder or off season. Plus if you're going during a big event, hotel rooms tend to be more expensive or harder to find.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:55 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
I just go where I want to go and if there is some kind of cool event, great.

We happened to go to Montreal during Poutinefest. It was awesome!

Old 04-10-2019, 11:02 AM

988 posts, read 1,017,823 times
Yes absolutely, it's less expensive and quieter to visit basically anything during non-peak times. One of my all time favorite trips was to the West of Ireland in very late November, when the Emerald Isle is generally cold and rainy and it gets dark by 4 p.m.

Totally loved it, and it felt like we had the place entirely to ourselves. The narrow, winding roads in County Kerry and County Clare had almost no cars on them, and a drive that might take 3 hours in the busy summer season took barely 1 hour. At the Rock of Cashel, there was only one other couple visiting, and there was hardly anyone at Killarney National Park. Granted, we lucked out on weather and had a lot of sunny days, and a couple of days were terribly rainy such as when we were in the Dingle Peninsula. Had the entire trip been rainy like that, our overall experience wouldn't have been so enjoyable.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:22 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Nothing contrarian about doing off season travel. Cheaper and easier.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:09 PM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Nothing contrarian about doing off season travel. Cheaper and easier.
I wasn't thinking so much off season, but for instance if I avoided a destination specifically during its one big known event, and sort of getting the reply like, "wow, why would you not want to see Mardi Gras in one of it's most celebrated cities, but go in October instead?!?"

But yes, I'm sort of getting the idea now that it's not uncommon.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:13 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
I don't like to travel during holidays.
So no xmas travel, thanksgiving travel, labor day travel, spring break travel...I still go to the high season in the Carib, but I wait till late Jan to avoid most crowds, still do Hawaii in the summer, but I go late May, etc.

I hate crowds.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:14 PM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post
I wasn't thinking so much off season, but for instance if I avoided a destination specifically during its one big known event, and sort of getting the reply like, "wow, why would you not want to see Mardi Gras in one of it's most celebrated cities, but go in October instead?!?"

I don't think it's uncommon at all. Several times, my husband and I visited New Orleans in early December. The weather is nice and cool, the city is not overrun with tourists, and the French Quarter doesn't stink of urine. We loved it.

Old 04-10-2019, 12:36 PM

2,122 posts, read 1,794,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maduro lonsdale View Post

I think the people who have said that have never been to those cities during that time. I think it just depends on the type of person you are. I generally hate large crowds so for the most part those events never really hold much appeal. I think it may be different when you are talking about times when the event is the only draw to a location, only thing that comes to mind at the moment is something like Coachella where if it weren't for the festival you likely wouldn't have much reason to visit.

Also I think that for most of those events people only do them at most a few times before the reality of it all sinks in and it loses it's appeal. But for some it's the one thing that they look forward to each year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel