Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:12 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Aspen, Colorado
You've got the idea. I've spent a lot of time around Vail/Beaver Creek/Eagle. Kind of the same type of place as Aspen.
But I am looking for east of Mississippi, or the islands. Plus, Aspen and Vail tend to be pretty pricey. I don't mind spending $200 a night for a good place (or even a little more). But I'm guessing almost everything around Aspen is at least $300 during the good times of year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
St. John in the usvi. Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos.
The murder statistics in the USVI are unbelievably high. I know that 90% of them are related to drugs/gangs. But nothing happens in a vacuum, and even if my family is at little direct risk, I just don't want to go to any place that has lots of crime or social dysfunction..............even if that crap is outside the "touristy" areas. A sick culture produces gangs and murders, and I want to go to an area that has a healthy culture. (Also, I HATE the idea of being confined to a small part of any place we travel, to stay safe). Part of me really wants to go to Christiansted. But there are a lot of murders in Saint Croix (relative to its size), and once you get a couple blocks away from the touristy downtown area in Christiansted, it looks like a bomb hit in some places. SO run down and sketchy. Sad.

Tell me more about Providenciales. I have started looking into it.
Crime? Run-down areas? Decent, laid-back people?? I've seen articles and comments that lump T & C in with the Bahamas, as far as messed-up places. (Bahamas is totally out, for me. I know that the smaller, outer islands in the Bahamas aren't that bad, but I also don't want a place that is hard to get to. There are no direct flights from Boston or New York to any of those really small, outer Bahama Islands. But there are some to T & C.....)

Last edited by maineguy8888; 04-15-2019 at 07:26 AM..

Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
St. John in the usvi. Providenciales in the Turks and Caicos.

Sadly Providenciales currently has a travel advisory due to a large recent increase in crime.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html

Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingko View Post
Newfoundland.
Thanks for the suggestion. Have always loved the idea of spending a week there. But two things:
I'm in Maine, so going even further NORTH in the middle of winter doesn't really appeal.....lol. (Could see myself going in the summer sometime, although it's so nice here in the summer that I usually just try to do staycations.......Maine, New Hampshire, New Brunswick, etc.).

Second thing is their economy is bad.............unemployment around 15% right now. I imagine there must be quite a few areas that are run down. Drugs, etc.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:27 AM

3,546 posts, read 3,114,934 times
Thinking outside the box, you might consider Havana. Doubt you'd encounter any crime there, but the reason is they'll be keeping an eye on you. And you might have to travel with a group.

Other than that, I can't really think of any Caribbean place that doesn't have any crime issues. These are violent times, and there are a lot of issues going on everywhere. If you want the east coast, you're also going to have difficulty finding a place that really has everything you want. You could come to Williamsburg, where I live. There really isn't much crime here, and not really anything I'd call a sketchy area. But it's not a beach town.

Martha's Vineyard, maybe? Or possibly Bethany Beach in Delaware?

Old 04-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Thinking outside the box, you might consider Havana. Doubt you'd encounter any crime there, but the reason is they'll be keeping an eye on you. And you might have to travel with a group.

Other than that, I can't really think of any Caribbean place that doesn't have any crime issues. These are violent times, and there are a lot of issues going on everywhere. If you want the east coast, you're also going to have difficulty finding a place that really has everything you want. You could come to Williamsburg, where I live. There really isn't much crime here, and not really anything I'd call a sketchy area. But it's not a beach town.

Martha's Vineyard, maybe? Or possibly Bethany Beach in Delaware?
Good to hear about Williamsburg. I enjoyed Colonial Williamsburg, and I know my kids would too. Plus I know there is lots of other things to do now (more than when I visited in the 90s).
How warm does it get there in April?

Cuba actually crossed my mind. Damned communists.......lol. I can't see myself spending any money which in any way would bolster the regime.

I know some islands have low crime and no real bad areas. I wish I could remember more about Barbados (was pretty drunk much of that week.........). I enjoyed my time there.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney Creek View Post
Sadly Providenciales currently has a travel advisory due to a large recent increase in crime.

https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...-advisory.html
Sad to hear about Providenciales. I would be there in a heartbeat if they would get a grip on this. The unfortunate thing is that it starts to keep tourists away, then they have less income flowing in. That makes the problems even worse. It can be a death spiral.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:24 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Wyoming,

East of Mississippi = Nova Scotia (next door to Maine)

Old 04-15-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Wyoming,

East of Mississippi = Nova Scotia (next door to Maine)
Have almost made it to Wyoming (far northern Colorado), and really want to go sometime. I think I'll like it more than Arizona. So what are the towns or places in Wyoming that have almost no sketchiness?

Nova Scotia has some places that fit my bill, I know. But like I said, when it's nice here (May to October), I tend to stay close to home. Maybe we'll do a long weekend to NS this summer.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:54 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,628 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Bermuda, and Cape Ann Mass., or Rocky Neck Mass?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel