Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 02:26 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

400. I lived in Indianapolis and am from northeast TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 02:41 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,232,797 times
My friends and I traveled from Philadelphia to Toronto for a three day weekend back in February. That trip was fantastic! We went to Steam Whistle Brewing Company, did karaoke, I personally went to Dance Cave, and we had a chance to explore a good portion of the city. I'd totally go again!

Old 04-17-2019, 06:05 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,107,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
My 82 year father just did a 3 day/2 night trip from Israel to NYC in order to attend his granddaughter's performance at Carnegie Hall. He paid full price for the airline ticket, hotel room and Carnegie Hall ticket.

)
THIS is something you do a marathon trip for. Wow.

We do the following three day trips once a month from Fort Lauderdale:

Key West
Islamorada
Disney
Siesta Key/Sarasota
South Beach/Miami
Crystal River
Clearwater/Treasure Island

We are lucky that we have so many great places to travel to within close proximity.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,631 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
When I was younger, I thought nothing of driving 60 hours straight on a regular weekend. Coworker and I drove Topeka to Idaho and back. Also remember Montreal to Richmond. Can't remember any 3-day weekends.
There isn't 60 hours in a two day weekend. Even if you leave at 5 on Friday, and return home at 8 am on Monday, that's 63 hours. Gives you 3 hours to spend at your destination, somewhere in the wee hours of Sunday morning.

I guess if you were going there for a meeting that occurred sometime around midnight Saturday night?

Just trying to picture this.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:20 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

I'm willing to drive a whole day on either side, depending on why.

If it's a family reunion and I only have that small time constraint, I'm willing to do 12 hours on Friday, spend Friday night and all day Saturday and Saturday night, and drive 12 hours on Sunday.

I like to drive, though, which not everyone does.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:14 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
A couple years ago I had a 3 day road trip. It was Columbus Day weekend and my college had that day off so away I went. Went from Lancaster, PA to Old Orchard Beach, ME. Hotels were super cheap on the beach. I mean, it was October in Maine...
Next day drove up to US 2 and mostly followed that west with a few deviations. Foliage was absolutely beautiful. If it wasn't peak, it was near peak for sure. Ended up staying on the NE edge of the Adirondacks in Wilmington. Not too far from Lake Placid. Next day I drove SW back to Lancaster. The only limitation was the daylight. I could have made it longer each day. Otherwise went very well.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:17 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm willing to drive a whole day on either side, depending on why.

If it's a family reunion and I only have that small time constraint, I'm willing to do 12 hours on Friday, spend Friday night and all day Saturday and Saturday night, and drive 12 hours on Sunday.

I like to drive, though, which not everyone does.
I used to do this when I was younger with my dad and grandpa. Lived in Atlanta but we'd drive out to Texas A&M (where my grandpa went and I ended up going) on Friday, have game day on Saturday, drive back on Sunday. I didn't have to drive those early years, but I made up for it later. Also was pushing 15-16 hours, but with 2 seasoned drivers.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
i used to do this when i was younger with my dad and grandpa. Lived in atlanta but we'd drive out to texas a&m (where my grandpa went and i ended up going) on friday, have game day on saturday, drive back on sunday. I didn't have to drive those early years, but i made up for it later. Also was pushing 15-16 hours, but with 2 seasoned drivers.
whoooooop! ;d Gig 'em.

Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,549,540 times
When I was younger, I took advantage of a fare sale to fly solo from JFK to London (don’t remember which airport) for a three-day weekend. Took a red-eye Friday night and flew back Monday evening.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:00 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Looks like my daughter has to fly from Sydney to London for a two day meeting. I guess plenty of people do that distance all the time but I am glad it is not me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel